Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Semi-serious question about eating and drinking at the same time...

No, I *DO NOT* eat and drink at the same time. It hurts, it usually makes me vomit and if I don't vomit, I am in crampy, ugly misery until I belch a nasty, unladylike emission that sounds as if chunks are about to blow. If I eat very little, I can comfortably drink in 30-45 minutes, if I eat even one bite too many, it's an hour minimum before I can even consider sipping.

So...

How do I eat Soup? I can't eat soup. Soup hurts. Should I strain the soup? Only eat the chunks? I love soup!! It sucks that I cannot eat soup. I WANT SOUP!!! I can handle thicker cream based Soups which are obviously not the best choice, but even with those I have to burp myself like a baby so eat even a small cup.

And cereal! I LOVE Cereal. Again, I know it's not the best choice in the world, but every once in awhile, it sure would be nice to eat a bowl of raisin bran so I can actually make a poop more often than once a month. (Yes, I really am full of ****.) I have always liked heavily milked cereal and now if I make it more than slightly damp, it's painful. I can no longer eat cereal. I suppose that's good as it's mostly carbs, but seriously?!??!! It's not a trigger food for me, I like healthy cereals and it's easy.

ARGH!!!

If we are not allowed to eat and drink at the same time, why does the doc allow cereal and soup!?!?!? And why doesn't my body acknowledge these foods as acceptable per my NUT!?!?!?!

I had to wait till I was closer to two years before I started eating cereal again. I can eat it now. I didn't have a problem with Soup, but I couldn't eat enough of it to call it a Protein dense meal till much later.

Anderson Split Pea Soup was good for me very early. And it's got a lot of Protein for a soup. I also ate Progresso Tomato Soup fairly early. More as a snack between meals because by the time I ate my protein, there wasn't much room left over. I ate chili pretty early too. That sat well and the low fat beef canned chili and my homemade chili are both fairly protein dense.

You are still not at full capacity yet and probably won't be till at least a year post op. I used Metamucil for a few months till I could get enough Fiber in my regular diet. I don't like it, but it did help.

Lynda

For Soup u have to either drink broth first then eat remainder same goes for cereal. I had my nutritionist class today.

I am two weeks out and eat Soups, cereals, and just about anything I want within reason. Last night I had steak, mashed potatos and gravy (all mushed up with a hand blender) and it was wonderful!!! I had chicken breast, rice and cream of chicken Soup mushed up with a hand blender and it was great! Tonight It will be tuna noodle casserole blended....can't wait! Yes I had the sleeve 2 weeks ago! I have not dumped nor thrown up, so if you persist, you can do this. Maybe you are eating too much at one time or too fast. That would be my observation. I use Miralax for constipaption every day...works wonders!

Today my NUT recommended Protein Powder in Soup to make them more useful to our tiny tummies. What about unflavored, chicken soup flavored, or the cheese sauce Protein in a brothy soup to thicken it, or the same in a cream soup to increase that protein value? As for cereal, I imagine it will always be a slider for me, so I've been avoiding it already. Will opt for things like oatmeal or grits if I need a breakfasty grain.

I made brocolli and cauliflower cream Soup from a Bear Creek Mix (which uses a powdered potato base) and it is wonderful. I have been eating it for lunch for 3 days straight it is so yummy. They have a dozen dry soup mixes you can use. I use potato soup as a base and throw all kinds of things in it to make it different. This has almost zero fat, you might be having an issue with fat. Give it a try. You should be further along than this for 5 months from surgery.

I have not dumped nor thrown up, so if you persist, you can do this. Maybe you are eating too much at one time or too fast. That would be my observation.

I am almost 6 months out and have had some food issues from the beginning I have my eating speed and amount down pat, I just have some atypical struggles that I am actually thankful for. Keeps me careful. :D

My NUT agrees with your body, no Cereal or Soup. I asked my NUT why chili was allowed then...she had no answer lol Chili sits well in my belly though. I tried a couple bites of Cheerios with milk and felt sick as a dog. If I want cereal..I stick with dry only (for now only Special K protein).

Sorry your nut allows it but not your body :(

Milk allergy? My doctor said I would not tolerate things I could before and develop some more taste changes as I go along. Try some Lactose Free milk....see if that helps or soy milk, or almond milk. Good Luck!