Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

From the beginning of my WLS journey, which hasn't been all that long, I've often wondered what the big deal about eating sugar/sweets was after the surgery. From the puree stage on, I have put brown sugar in my Malto Meal and oatmeal, and have eaten foods like ice cream, candy, cake etc.. Mind you, I eat these things in moderation (a bite or two) although I have days when I eat several small pieces of candy - Halloween! and I have still managed to lose weight. I know that it helps that I power-walk everyday, but even if I don't, why is it that sugar is considered the enemy. I see people talking about only using artificial sweeteners and I often wonder if they know that excessive amounts of these chemicals could and probably will cause permanent neurological damage to their brain. When you weigh the options, I'd chose to risk gaining a few ounces rather than damage the few cells that I have left in my brain. What's more, I eat whatever food I want, but again, I like stuff like Trader Joe's tofu nuggets a lot (crisped up in the toaster oven - divine!) and other healthy foods; I'm a huge lentil fan! I don't eat diet foods, I don't eat sugar-free anything anymore, nor do I stay completely away from faster foods. And, yes, I make and eat fried chicken! All the while, I have lost more weight in the last few months than I have in several years, I feel great most days, my diabetic symptoms are gone, and haven't lost my hair... yet! I take my Vitamin everyday, drink my Protein Shake, drinks 40+ ounces of Water a day, and make sure I exercise every single day. Please note that I only eat 5 ounces of foods at a time, 3 times a day, and 1-2 Snacks a day - Pirate's Booty, yum!

So, is there anyone else out there that has been a food rebel like me that has the same or contradicting experiences as I have, and how far out are you? I would really like to know, especially if you have a year or more.

Thanks for reading!

My understanding is that the sleeve does a lot of the work for you the first year. After that, you have to put in the effort to stay away from things that will make you gain weight. Everything in moderation, but important to recognize when you're forming bad habits. You know yourself better than anyone, though. If it were me, I'd eat a little and then convince myself that it might be okay to eat a little more. And then I'd make that my new normal and things would be all downhill from there. Yikes!

I'm sure there will be more than a few people to jump on this topic and give you a hard time - maybe that's what you are looking for. There seems to be so many "experts" here that seem to think since they had this surgery they are qualified to tell you what to eat, when to exercise, when to do anything - then their fall back response is to ask your doctor if you are not sure what to do - Your doctor is not the best resource for information, just look at the different advice from doctors regarding the exact same surgery - anyone think about that?

My doc said the first year you have the sleeve things will be easy but after that it will be completely about what you eat and how you exercise. I figure it this way, I have one year to overcome years of bad habits and establish good habits. Fast food to me is crap in and crap out. If I am working out hard my body want better quality foods. As far as artificial sweeteners, I use honey or stevia to sweeten anything I need sweetened. Be a rebel if that is what works for you. I will stick with a proven method my doc and NUT suggest and make this a complete lifestyle change so I have no regrets looking back.

From the beginning of my WLS journey' date=' which hasn't been all that long![/quote']

This right here ^ You are new to this. I can guarantee your mindset will evolve with time...

While I 100% agree that I think normal junk foods are ok in moderation, my understand is that as time passes we can eat more. If we develop a habit of saying "I can eat this because I can only eat 3 bites", in a year or 2 we will be in a world of trouble because those 3 bites are now 15 bites. So, yea Im a little bit if a food rebel (compared to some on here), but I have worked with my NUT a lot. She isn't as concerned about me counting carbs for the day. She has said "if you are staying within your calorie range, getting in your Protein, and following the plate rule then you are as gold" but I still primarily stick to lean Proteins and veggies 80-90% of the time.

The sleeve is only a tool. You can eat and do whatever you want. A lot of people develop better eating habits post op because it is easier.

The sleeve also isn't a magic bullet for weight loss. Calories in still equal weight gain. So what works for you now, may not always.

I nibble at "forbidden foods" every once in a while, but I don't eat them on a daily basis. Too much is at risk: I love how I feel now and would cry if I gained.

I'm 11 months and 162 lbs down.

I limit myself but follow no specific diet. Tonight I had 1 small slice of pizza at the movie theater. Then for dinner I had salad and a very small turkey patty without the bread. So it all makes up for itself in the end. You can eat so little right now and balance is key BUT if you don't eat with intention and purpose than eventually you're gonna reverse the good work you've done and wonder why you're not losing weight.

If this is what seems to work for you, OK, everyone is different. For me, I know if I eat too many carb choices I gain weight. Doesn't matter if I'm in my calorie range for the day or not, I will gain weight on carbs. I just have really bad genes I guess. I used to live on a farm and when they wanted to fatten up the pigs before taking them to market, they fed them lots and lots of carbs, breads, potatoes, ect... so for me that is enough proof that too many carbs aren't good for anyone, people or animals. I on occasion have a small amount of good carbs, like winter squash or sweet potatoes, and that is enough to cut my carb longing for a while. I have had some potato chips, and also some popcorn, but when I did I didn't lose and weight that week.I also use Stevia for a sweetener, doesn't have an effect on my blood sugars and is a natural sweetener so I'm ok with it. Good luck on your journey!

Side note: With sweets (as a snack), I only eat 2 or 3 bites because I'm satisfied at that point, not because it fills me up; it would take more than a few lil bites to do that. I have had a fast food burger once (4 bites and I was good). I don't seem to have a problem stopping eating, and I usually do stop when I am satisfied not full; I take a full 30 minutes to eat most times. If I don't have 30 minutes, I eat much less. My eating habits generally are good, I am just saying that I eat sweets a few times a week and don't see what the big deal is. My surgeon and my PC doctor seem to be very satisfied with my progress. I know that in a year things may be a different, but only if I allow them to be! Will post on this topic in a year to let you know :)

Depending how your relationship with food was before, I would say be careful.

3 bites now could become 1/2 a slice of cake in a month or 2.

It's a domino effect.

I'm not coming down on you or judging you, I'm just giving you a heads up: don't wait until you actually see something happen to do something. Prevention is key!

Plus, on a nutritional level, sweet and fatty foods aren't good for you. They taste good but have no nutritional value.

Side note: With sweets (as a snack)' date=' I only eat 2 or 3 bites because I'm satisfied at that point, not because it fills me up; it would take more than a few lil bites to do that. I have had a fast food burger once (4 bites and I was good). I don't seem to have a problem stopping eating, and I usually do stop when I am satisfied not full; I take a full 30 minutes to eat most times. If I don't have 30 minutes, I eat much less. My eating habits generally are good, I am just saying that I eat sweets a few times a week and don't see what the big deal is. My surgeon and my PC doctor seem to be very satisfied with my progress. I know that in a year things may be a different, but only if I allow them to be! Will post on this topic in a year to let you know :)[/quote']

How far out are you?