Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you feel when you awoke from surgery?

Hi all, I was wondering what everyone felt like right after they woke up from surgery. I have had these strange visions and feelings like something inside me is strangling my esophagus from where the band was placed on my upper stomach. Weird huh? I hope that is not the way it feels. I know I may feel some pain from the incisions, but really don't want to have the other feeling. Gulp!

Thanks for any replies.

Peace,

Judy

Um, when I woke up, I remember I asked for my mom and some drugs, they gave me drugs. When I woke up, I think I was a little loopy with the medications because they had this apparatus on the palm of my hand I guess so they could get a vein or something and I told the nurse to call me flipper and for her not to take it off. She took it off. Then I think my parents came in and then I went to my room.

You're really out of it when you wake up. I don't remember much, they give you enough drugs to keep you half out of it for a few more hours. When everything wears off, that's when the gas pains start :D

Sick to my stomache... that's all really. They must have given me something because I threw up a few times then went back to sleep. Next thing I know I was in my bed and just really groggy. I couldn't even feel the band (though I thought I would) and it felt like I'd done about 50 sit-ups, sore tummy.

When I first woke up I was shocked by the pain. I didn't remember anything after talking to this one doctor in the prep room, but I evidently had another conversation with someone, handed my fiance my glasses, took a pill, and then went into the OR. I think my brain tripped out because it didn't remember why I was in pain. Once I woke up for a minute, and sat up a little bit, I felt much better.

I was profoundly tired! I do not remember much pain, but i just remember wanting to sleep! After 12 hours, that was better.

I remember waking up as they moved me from the OR table to the stretcher as the anesthesiologist was calling my name and told me everything went well. Right after that, I had pain and asked for pain meds and they gave me something IV. I was also very nauseus (normal for me after anesthesia) but I warned them pre-op that me and anesthesia don't mix well. They gave me Zofran IV that did nothing and then Phenergen IV and THAT knocked out the nausea and me! LOL.

The normal disoriented feeling when you wake from anaesthetic. And as I usually am I was freezing and got the shakes really badly.

Then I became aware of a dull thudding pain in my stomach, in my head I pictured a huge rock tied to my organs. It was heavy and it hurt, but they gave me morphine right away. And slipped a pillow under my knees, which really took the pressure off.

Then I had that lovely dozy sleeping on and off all afternoon, without any kids to bother me!

The only feeling I had was like something inside me was strangling my esophagus from where the band was placed on my upper stomach. Just kidding. I was a little disoriented, and a little short of breath at first. They gave me some oxygen for an hour or so. But I recovered after a couple hours and then went on my merry way. There was a little pain by I did not have much of that, either from incisions or gas.

I remember a couple of nurses and the anesthesiologist telling me it was time to wake up. They had accents, so they sounded so strange in that half awake half asleep place I was!!! They kept saying "eeet's over, you deeed guuuud, eeeet's time to wake up now!!!" I don't remember pain, I remember when I tried to talk the first time, it was all garbled! I kept asking for a drink, I was SOOOOO thirsty.

I was eventually in and out but awake enough to realize I had the surgery, it was over, and my belly was very sore, but not enough to keep me awake. Then they told me...if you wake up and talk to us, we will give you some medicine to help your pain and make you sleep! Even in my drugged state I saw the humor in the wake up so we can give you meds to go to sleep!!!

I felt nothing "on the inside". I had incision pain, nothing serious---one dose of pain meds in my IV, then nothing but Tylenol from then on. Within an hour I was up and walking. Easiest surgery I ever had!

Kat

I woke up and I couldn't see. Everything was blurry but I could see the nurse standing over me and I told her I couldn't see and she said it would wear off. So I spent a few mins blinking really hard. My stomach felt sore but my eyes were bugging me worse and a horrible thirst from the tube. So they got me some ice chips too because I was afraid to drink Water. :)

I woke up disoriented. The nurses kept trying to get me to wake up. I was, oddly, surprised I was alive (I went in with CRAZY fears of dying on the table) and I said "is it over?" and they said yes. I patted my hands on my tummy and felt the glue over the incisions and then closed my eyes again and went back to sleep.

You don't feel tight in your esophagus. You are on so many pain meds you don't feel much, to be honest......

When i first woke up i felt no pain but my body felt like it weighed a million pounds. The smallest movements took so much effort. My doctor has us spend the night and so i think they are more generous with the meds because i had my surgery at 9am and it was not until 7pm that i was awake enough to really understand what was going on around me. I was in and out of it until the next morning.

I woke up with the most horrific back ache. My surgery was supposed to be 2 hours but lasted four, so all I wanted to do was sit up. I was in recovery for about an hour I think and as soon as I got to my room, I was sitting up in a chair. I didn't have any pain related to the surgery site, but I remember my back was killing me.

But it's all a memory now and I'm okey dokey.