Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, I've been lurking here for a while, not banded but the more I research the more I'm convinced that it's something I want to do. I do have a question tho....do I just research a Dr and go in for a consult? Go to a seminar first and how do you find them? What exactly is the first step??? I have PCOS, insulin resistance, high blood pressure, BMI is around 35. My doctor just keeps saying eat less calories. Anybody feel as lost as I am when they started out?

I went to a couple of seminars. One from a Center for Excellence and one that wasn't. Plus the sister hospital that I work for offers RNY. I chose the place that was the Center of Excellence. My PCP is very supportive. Maybe you should find another PCP. I just got my approval letter on Saturday, so I should be hearing from my surgeon this week for pre surgery teaching and setting a surgery date. I've already been through all of the pre op stuff and paid my non-refundable fee of $300.

Since I went to the seminar first I just had to make an appt with the doc for a consult. They then told me what I had to do for my insurance needs and I went from there. I don't think you can even get in to see some surgeons without going to the seminar first.

Hi. Congrats on starting your journey! Go to the main page of lapband talk and scroll down near the bottom, to the local USA groups. Find your area and you'll be able to read what people say about your local physicians. You might pick several first consult seminars to go to and see who you like. Join up with the group online in your area and find out if they nmeet as a support group. If so, start going. You are beginning such a huge learning curve that it's best to gather the support troops from the beginning! you'll begin to find that you let go of people who just say to exercise more and eat less, and you'll start hanging with people who get it that morbid obesity is complex, and who can cheer you on. Believe me, we all started where you are! Use this site to ask a gazillion questions as you go along, and read read read. Have fun!

Hi, I'm new and feeling lost, too. People here are so supportive! I've been to the seminar 2x, had most of my pre-op tests, and a consult but won't get my surgery date until April.

My best friend gave me a book for my birthday that says that overeating, anorexia, and bulemia are all SINS, not medical conditions. (she later apologized, she didn't read it before she gave it to me).

Seems like everyone has an opinion on what you should do instead of surgery. BMI is 47, sleep apnea, high BP and cholesterol and a congenital heart condition.

hang in there, we'll get through this.

Sins. Oh brother. Morbid Obesity is so complicated.....and people generally aren't ready to give up bigotry and try to understand. It's so easy to blame the victim. I guess I really don't understand it completely, and I have it, so I don't know how others would get the concept. When our own governemnt contemplates putting warning labels on plus size clothing, you know there's alot of ignorance around. (The clothing folks must not have as good a lobby as the junk food people.)

When our own governemnt contemplates putting warning labels on plus size clothing, you know there's alot of ignorance around. (The clothing folks must not have as good a lobby as the junk food people.)

HUH???? :omg: What in the WORLD do they have to WARN us about regarding plus size clothing?????? What would the label say?? "Federal Warning: Wearing plus size clothing means you are fat! Being fat increases the risk of...well almost every illness. Lose weight and get your clothes from Abercrombie & Finch." Or maybe this: "Federal Warning: Plus size clothing can cause serious injury to your emotional well being, as studies indicate the general public is biased against the obese."

When our own governemnt contemplates putting warning labels on plus size clothing, you know there's alot of ignorance around. (The clothing folks must not have as good a lobby as the junk food people.)

I couldn't find any references to the US government wanting to do this, it's a UK thing. It originated with a professor in Glasgow who wants them on articles of clothing above a 105cm waist for men and above a size 16 for women (there were some listed for children as well, but I don't remember those numbers). The label is suggested to say basically obesity is unhealthy and give a phone number to call for help.

I'm rolling my eyes here!

christellini

I'm fairly new here and yes I felt very confused when I first came here!!

I'm sure we all do but just be reassured that you are in the right place hunni. Anything you want to know will be found here even down to the finer details such as "Do i have to takeoff my underpants before surgery!?!?" LOL

I'm finally getting there now with the help of these guys! I've made the first step of contacting a surgeon!

GOVERMENT HEALTH WARNINGS ON PLUS CLOTHING LABELS!!!

And there was me thinking I was perfectly healthy at over 300lbs!!

Thanks everyone for your replies. Everyone here is so great. Well after researching area surgeons and OH I have a consult with Dr. Barry Sanchez in Burlingame on April 2nd. Anyone familiar with him?

I was also wondering how some of you decided on Lapband vs GB?

Christel

MAZIEMOMMY HERE. You ask how did some decide on Lapband vs GB? I decided on Lapband because I'm 34 years young, and I asked my Dr. if a person is a candidate for either surgery,what would you prefer? He said "any one who has the ability to be active, and has time to lose weight slower and safer, he would recommend Lapband over GB. GB would be better if you had lost the ability to be active or no time to lose (so to speak).

That's a great response, maziemommy. For me it was simply not wanting my intestines rerouted. That and I had seen too many people come to my ICU with significant gut issues a couple of years down the road.

I like to think that Lapband will be a great tool, but GBypass is a last resort-no reversing there-no even if nessesary!!!

Thanks everyone for your replies. Everyone here is so great. Well after researching area surgeons and OH I have a consult with Dr. Barry Sanchez in Burlingame on April 2nd. Anyone familiar with him?

I was also wondering how some of you decided on Lapband vs GB?

Christel

One of the things to consider since you are still young is that with GB you loose the ability to obsorb nutrients, if you wanted to get pregnant it may be more difficult to provide enough nutrients to the baby. I would ask you Dr about this if this is something you maybe considering in the future. My I asked my gnye if I would be able to have children if I had GB she could not tell me yes or no. I have notice that people with the band have had healty children. When pregnant the band can be unfilled. Plus to me the risks were much greater with the GB that the band. I hope this helps.

Good Luck with your decision.

Whenever I hit a plateau I wonder fleetingly if I should have gottne the GB. The other 99% of the time, I'd rather have the LB. I take pride in my own role in this working. It's like I would love to have done before....eating like a normal person, choosing my foods, being able to follow through with calorie goals, pushing away from the table. It makes what was impossible, just hard work. I'm proud of doing my part.