Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Putting weight on

I forgot to mention, Dr. Davidson tells his patients to weigh daily, so that's why I went and got one before surgery and started weighing! Until then, I only weighed whenever I went to the doctor, two - four times a year. Oh my!!!

Do you think vets should still weigh daily? I am thinking 2 x a month would be ok, to keep an eye on fluctuations. A mirror and sense of body contours with and without clothes on seems to be a good daily sniff test.
I think folks should do what feels best to them - losing the weight that I have so far will not make me any less of an addict than I have always been so I keep on it everyday. I know that if I am not vigilant I can easily end up right where I was where I started. I weigh every morning and adjust accordingly.

Edited by Chimera

I think you guys are correct in stating the merit behind weighing every day *and* not assigning a value judgement to it. That is, to be objective about it. Neutral. It is easy to feel elation when the scale goes down and doubts when the scales goes up, even as vets.

Personally I weigh on average about once a week and the distance between weigh-ins increases as more time passes. I think it is because of being content with appearance. I measure myself in other ways. For example, am I improving my max lift weights, are my workouts getting faster, can I do more pull-ups and finally, how well are those jeans fitting. On that last one, the slim 32 are getting too loose by a couple inches so need to go get a new pair. I do like to track body fat % on the ww scale, but even for that, I have stopped checking daily.

I guess all this rambling essentially means the scale number does not really mean anything. It is just a number. For new post ops that have not reached goal, then yes, the scale number is a valuable tool for making adjustments if the number is not dropping. Still - it is advised to weigh only as often as you can do it without it controlling your state of emotional well being.

Yes the scale number is just a number but I let that number get all the way up to 318! So I feel the number on my scale is very important. It's important I see 146 or close to that every morning so I don't get complacent and god forbid see 318 again.

If you want an easy food plan to go on prior to your TT, follow the pre-surgery diet your doctor gave your prior to your Sleeve. Mine was liquid Protein drink 2X per day and a salad with lean Protein on top for dinner. All the broth and no calorie liquid you could drink.

Also - write down every morsel you are putting in your mouth and see what your patterns are.

Do you think vets should still weigh daily? I am thinking 2 x a month would be ok' date=' to keep an eye on fluctuations. A mirror and sense of body contours with and without clothes on seems to be a good daily sniff test.[/quote']

Sure, if you are male. NO, if you are female. We do not have the faster metabolism that y'all do! Sad but true. Hormones. Female. Just is what it is.

I agree. Weigh every day or every other day and don't let it get away from you. Me and FYE know all about that! Mine was 27 pounds of "just livin". Ha!! Back down now 32 and below goal but I do not take it for granted now.

I weigh daily but dont get worried over small fluctuTion. post plastics i expect challenges due to swelling

I weigh daily but I fluctuate anywhere between 3 lbs. to 7 lbs. A DAY. So what's that tell you? Well... first, you can't sweat it too much. But what's too much and what's not enough? Hmm. Here's what I do... choose a time that works for you on when to weigh (once a week, "officially" is your weigh in day) and use that as your basis on the number that 'counts'. My group dr. has a "flag" system for those of us in maintenance. He says, set your goal weight. If you go up 3 lbs for a week, then it's an orange flag. You monitor your weight and your actions/yourself for another week (i.e. back to basics - tracking, Protein, Water, working out, etc). If the number either increases or stays the same for another week, you move the flag to red status. That's when you call the big dogs in - who can you rely on to motivate you to get your head back in the game? I have a list of people that I go to. My closest advisors / support system / people that I respect their advices and that respect my ideas/thoughts and where I am who truly don't judge and problem solve where they can to help. Thankfully, I haven't gotten to red status ..... yet.... but I'm only 20 months out (goal reached at 6 months). I still have 'issues' with body dysmorphia so the mirror and how my clothes fit doesn't help (and I have size 2-8 in my closet, depending on the cut!). I know when I've had a bad week or two, I generally tighten up what I'm doing - back to the general guidelines that I know that work: tracking my food, protein, water, mindful eating and working out. Hope that might help you (or someone else here!). Best of luck! xx

To clarify, I weigh daily first thing naked and have minor fluctuations day to day. If I weigg even a few hours late the fluctuations increase.

I weigh myself weekly and that works for me. I don't eat anything out of the ordinary and in large enough quantities to worry. I am scheduled for neurosurgery next week and won't get an accurate count after I am pumped with fluids following surgery. However, everyone needs to do what works for them respectively.

To clarify' date=' I weigh daily first thing naked and have minor fluctuations day to day. If I weigg even a few hours late the fluctuations increase.[/quote']

Oh yes! Pee, strip, weigh!!! Lol

..heres a slice of nurotic... I have jewelry that is OK to wear and others that are not OK to wear during a weigh in!I I wear all my sliver, but the extra glass or stone is off! (...must weigh a whole ounce if that :P)

Edited by feedyoureye

..heres a slice of nurotic... I have jewelry that is OK to wear and others that are not OK to wear during a weigh in!I I wear all my sliver' date=' but the extra glass or stone is off! (...must weigh a whole ounce if that :P)[/quote']

Girl, even my glasses come off if I don't have on my contacts! LOL

I have to weigh daily. It may bounce around due to hormones or whatever but I have to do it. If I don't, I'll stop doing it altogether and that leads to regains! It's unfortunate that I still allow the scale to upset my day sometimes, though. Some days it doesn't bother me and other days I get completely frustrated. But better that than denial and a potential regain!

~Cheri

Edited by clk

Heh - reminds me of the countless Weight Watchers weigh-ins - where I would wear the thinnest of thin clothes even in the dead of winter, no jewelry, shoes and all layers off, no food or Water (thank goodness meetings were in the mornings, don't even what to contemplate what I would do with an evening meeting lol.) and hold my breath repeating the mantra 'angel wings' - which the weigh-in staff always got a kick out of.