Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help from any banded International travelers out there. I received my band on Feb. 12th, so far so good. I'm very anxious for a fill since I know I can eat almost anything right now, and 2/3 cup of mushies does not last till next meal.

I have my first fill scheduled on the 19th of March. My Dr.'s OK with an early fill due to an upcoming trip to China mid April. I'm nervous that there won't be enough time to adjust to the first fill, possibly add more, to travel overseas? I keep reading about bloating during air-travel and am worried that I'll have trouble on a 14 hr. flight. Also, what can I possibly take with me to eat if I have trouble with airline food? Any suggestions?

:paranoid

I asked about air travel during my consultation b/c I travel a lot with my job. My doc said that the band can sometimes get tighter if b/c if there are any air bubbles in the solution they expand during flight and the band can feel a little tighter. He recommended taking some soft food just incase. Maybe you could pack some gogurt or baby food just incase? Gerber makes some of their selections in a rectangle plastic case that look like little containers rather than whipping out a glass jar of obvious baby food. :-) Best of luck to you!

Thanks so much for the information. I'm a little nervous about China...when everyone say's how hard Rice goes down! :omg:

I appreciate the comment...and will pack some goodies for the trip, just in case. Thanks again!

I would also ask for a very conservative fill. If you need more when you return you can get it then,, Much easier than being in a foreign country, and in a serious health crisis. Why borrow trouble?

I would also take my Inamed packet (or whatever you have from your band) with you, just in case you DO need medical care. Then they would have the phone # etc. to get info about your band.

Good Luck, have a wonderful trip!!

Kat

Thanks for the traveling advice. My Dr. recommended about 1.5cc's for the first fill. He seemed to think that wasn't too risky. Also, he said I could come in a week later if I needed to and still have time to adjust.

I appreciate all the help. Good idea to take the card from the packet.

It'll be a good trip, I'm sure I'm worring over nothing. Thanks again!

I am in the same position about flying. I am flying a 6 hour flight next week. I was told I can get my fill now, but I am waiting until I get back. The last thing I want it to be too tight while traveling and not having a way to get to my doctor to fix it. I would recommend that you just wait until you get back for the fill. Just be patient. You don't want to be stuck on an airplane with something getting caught or PB'ng all the time on your trip.

Also, my doctor wouldn't allow me to fly for minimum 4 weeks because when you are post op you are at high risk for blood clots. On an international flight, if you are going to do it, get up every hour and walk the aisle. My friend got a blood clot from a plane ride (not even post op) and it lodged in her lung and she almost died. So I take that stuff very seriously.

EXCELLENT point about the blood clots. I got my head focused on the fill issue, and didn't even think about the blood clots! My Dr. told me to do as she pointed out, and walk at LEAST every hour. In the meantime, to sit in my seat and rotate my ankles, and lift my legs up 1-2 inches off the ground, bend at the knee---basically just act like you have ants in your pants! I had a 5 hour flight home on the 3rd day following surgery, so I was given blood thinner, and still told to do all of the above. He also said NO tight socks, or nothing at all knee high (like knee high hose). He said he normally would recommend support stockings, but with fresh incisions they were hard to get on! But since you are out from surgery a ways, you might consider getting some support hose (they do not have to be the ugly white ones!!!). Everyday hoseiry makers, make a support hose---which would help.

Mainly just keep your feet, and legs wiggling....and walk every chance you get. A PB would be an inconvenience, a blood clot can be deadly!

I am SOOOOO glad lapband4meNOW was on the ball and remembered this!!!!

Kat

I was banded on 12/4/06 and have flown shorter flights with no problems, but I would get your fill as soon as possible. That way if you have too much restriction you can have it adjusted before you leave. Most airlines will accommodate a special diet if you arrange ahead of time. Since you can't take fluids/liquids on the plane, you might take powdered Protein drink, packets of dried oatmeal, cream o' wheat, instant Soups, etc. Eating while in China will present some challenges since staples are veggies and rice. Scope out a convenience store and stock up on some things when you first arrive.

I always wear really loose clothing when I travel right down to my undergarments. Sports bra and boy-cut undies. Unlike your band, you want as little restriction as possible to keep the blood flowing.

BTW, I am new to this site, but I am amazed at the pace many are losing. I have had 2 fills and have dropped only 20 lbs in 3 months. I am a little discouraged as I do feel some restriction and I take in approx. 1100 cals per day :o(

Check with the airlines about what you can take on the plane that you don't buy at the airport. And enjoy lots of fish in China.

One65: My best advice to you is DON'T compare yourself with anyone else. Everybody loses differently and at different times. I lost right after surgery due to inflammation. Then no loss. Then no loss after my first fill. then nothing after my second fill. I was kicking myself every way possible. My third fill hit the sweet spot and I am living the life of a bandster and losing. With all that, my AVERAGE loss equates to 2 pounds a week! But for most of my time, I hated looking at others' losses! Just don't do it. we're all different and we're all going through stages. Right now, you are averaging 1.6 pounds a week, believe it or not. So you are exactly right on track! You're supposed to average 1-2 pounds a week.

Thanks Betsyjane. I guess it is never fast enough is it? I just need to keep things in perspective.

Lessofme, have a wonderful trip!