Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long for hair to fall?

Hey everyone so I have a question. How long after surgery does our hair start falling out? I'm going on 3 months post op and I'm scared that all or most of my hair is gonna fall off lol so how much longer before I can expect it to happen because so far my hair has been good :)

Sent from my LG-P769 using VST

Keep your Protein levels up that's the key! I am a little over 4 months post op and not really losing much. I am also using Revita Shampoo and conditioner. It is a follicle stimulator so it won't prevent hair from falling out but it will stimulate the follicles to produce hair. I figure for the hair that I am losing I am replacing in the already thin areas before the surgery. The last time I was with my hair stylist he checked my scalp and I do have a bunch of little hairs growing in. You can order it on Amazon.com it is a little pricey but it does work. :)

It's different for EVERYONE! Some lose a lot for a long time, or for a short time, and some lose small amounts for a long time, or for a short time. Point being: there's really no way to tell until (and unless) it happens to you. Sorry to be so vague. The good news is this: it grows back. I haven't read one single post where a veteran said it never grew back.

I'm at 5 months post surgery, and I haven't lost any yet. I figure if I can get to the 6 months mark I'm in the clear (what I've read it starts between 2 and 6 months). I suppose it could start shedding tomorrow, and if it does I won't be surprised. I also will still be grateful for the 76 lbs I've lost so far, and for the reasonable chance that I can lose 69 more and get to goal. If I lose hair, I will know it's not forever & it does grow back.

Try not to worry yourself too much over this! Get your Protein, your Water, and a balance of healthy fat in your diet. Take your Vitamins, and Biotin supplements. Be kind to your hair and massage your scalp well when you Shampoo. But please don't make yourself miserable worrying.

Keep your Protein levels up that's the key! I am a little over 4 months post op and not really losing much. I am also using Revita Shampoo and conditioner. It is a follicle stimulator so it won't prevent hair from falling out but it will stimulate the follicles to produce hair. I figure for the hair that I am losing I am replacing in the already thin areas before the surgery. The last time I was with my hair stylist he checked my scalp and I do have a bunch of little hairs growing in. You can order it on Amazon.com it is a little pricey but it does work. :)

Thank very much! I'm going to check it out!

It's different for EVERYONE! Some lose a lot for a long time' date=' or for a short time, and some lose small amounts for a long time, or for a short time. Point being: there's really no way to tell until (and unless) it happens to you. Sorry to be so vague. The good news is this: it grows back. I haven't read one single post where a veteran said it never grew back.

I'm at 5 months post surgery, and I haven't lost any yet. I figure if I can get to the 6 months mark I'm in the clear (what I've read it starts between 2 and 6 months). I suppose it could start shedding tomorrow, and if it does I won't be surprised. I also will still be grateful for the 76 lbs I've lost so far, and for the reasonable chance that I can lose 69 more and get to goal. If I lose hair, I will know it's not forever & it does grow back.

Try not to worry yourself too much over this! Get your Protein, your Water, and a balance of healthy fat in your diet. Take your Vitamins, and Biotin supplements. Be kind to your hair and massage your scalp well when you Shampoo. But please don't make yourself miserable worrying.[/quote']

Thank you! & I didn't stop to think about it growing back lol was too concerned about it falling but I won't worry so much about it and look at the bright side that atleast the weight is dropping :) ty!

Mine started at 2.5 months & I'm 4 months now.....this is what came out just this morning!

post-50545-13838396431689_thumb.jpg

Remember everyone is different. Some people barely lose while others lose a lot. I'm not one of the lucky ones! :(

Mine started at 2.5 months & I'm 4 months now.....this is what came out just this morning!

Remember everyone is different. Some people barely lose while others lose a lot. I'm not one of the lucky ones! :(

Oh wow that's alot :( but yes I'll remember everyone is different. Thank you for sharing.

Mine started at 2.5 months & I'm 4 months now.....this is what came out just this morning! Remember everyone is different. Some people barely lose while others lose a lot. I'm not one of the lucky ones! :(

I'm 4 months out and I am losing about that much hair. :-/

I'm happy I am losing weight but this is definitely one of the hard part.

I'm 5 days post op and I'm already having lots of Hair loss :'(

Hey everyone so I have a question. How long after surgery does our hair start falling out? I'm going on 3 months post op and I'm scared that all or most of my hair is gonna fall off lol so how much longer before I can expect it to happen because so far my hair has been good :)

I started losing hair at about 3 or 4 months out. I have a ton of hair so it's no big deal. Most people lose some hair but few lose drastic amounts where others notice. You will lose some but it probably will be managable and only noticed by you.

Started losing hair at 3.5 months post op...

Hair loss has definitely slowed down, but hadn't stopped altogether. A sleeved friend of mine suggested French braiding my hair, instead of leaving it down or in a ponytail or bun, and somehow that has helped? I think it probably had to do with less interference and tugging all the time? Anyway, French braids and less frequent brushing have helped a lot.