Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When it comes to weight loss, trends matter

(This post shows up a little better on my blog because I can intersperse pics with the narrative, so posting the link in case it's easier to see there: http://sleevers.wordpress.com/2013/10/15/when-it-comes-to-weight-loss-trends-matter/)

I woke up a little anxious today. I’ve been obsessing about this whole weight loss thing. I’m counting calories, Protein, carbs obsessively. I’m so hungry that I’m hangry (hungry + angry). I’m worrying about whether I’m eating too many calories even though I’ve stayed under 800 calories. Every half pound up or down on the scale is driving me crazy and I’m taking it personally.

So I decided to do what I do best, which is to look for trends in numbers and to use numbers to tell a story. There are three pictures below.

The most depressing is to look at my weight over 7 days. Oh, see the stalls! Oh woe is me! Clearly I’m failing! oh no! I cut 85% of my stomach out and I’m failing!

7-day-weight.jpg?w=300&h=203

I take a deep breath and look at my 30-day trends. Hmm, maybe it’s okay? I still see those flat lines that look like stalls. I dunno. But hey at least I see some drops. It’s looking a bit better.

30-day-weight.jpg?w=300&h=152

But I wonder what it looks like at 90 days? After all, I’m in this for the long haul and so perhaps I should have a longer-term perspective. So let’s look at a 90-day trend.

90-day-weight.jpg?w=300&h=188

Whoa! What do you know! All I see are steady declines. I don’t see the stalls that much anymore. Rather what I see is a line that consistently goes down. Perhaps I’m doing okay after all. I now see a trend line that is reassuring, that is different from what I’ve achieved before, and that I believe will continue for a while.

Now to keep this perspective throughout the week ahead and not get frustrated. I need to do this because I'm driving myself (and my husband) nuts.

What does your trend line look like? If you're on MFP or any other app tracking your weight, do this and see for yourself. Would love to see them posted so we understand that success isn't a straight line down, it's a line that generally trends downwards.

Do you ever think your putting too much thought in this and should through the scale away and start enjoying life instead of suffering with diet?

Do you ever think your putting too much thought in this and should through the scale away and start enjoying life instead of suffering with diet?

Yes, yes I do. In fact I woke up thinking EXACTLY that this morning. I'm obsessing. I'm worrying. I'm too focused on this and for a few days, I just want to BE. I want to do what feels right, I want to not track every morsel that goes into my mouth, for just a few days, I just want to be my old self.

I am going to cancun with my husband on Saturday. I have a hellacious week to get through before then, but I need to chill out and start looking forward to the vacation, and I need normalcy back in my life.

This obsessing--part of it is just me. I'm goal-oriented and I get to things via hyper-focusing and working hard to get there. that's fine, that's healthy, that works whatever.

The part that is NOT healthy? In this case, it's driven by fear. It's driven by fear that I will fail at this, and that's what's keeping me focused.

I need a re-set for a while so I can calm down. Oddly, seeing the trends made me calm down. I do this for a living--look at data to find patterns. I looked at my data, I found a pattern, and I see i'm worried for nothing, so time to work on letting go a little.

Oh and I should also mention, that huge upswing in the 7 day graph? Less than a pound. Yup. But until I realized that, it was enough to frustrate me.

Thank you for this. I am right where you are. I went to look at MFP for a 90 day trend and it is a beautifully DECLINING line. So comforting to look at the big picture! I also need to relax and just BE, totally agree. Thanks for the reminder:)

Thanks ma'am...I am JUST like you in regards to worrying about my diet...it's getting to me really bad and I haven't done it as long as you have !!! So thanks for this

I was exactly the same way. And when I went to the follow-up with the NUT at the 3 month mark (I went in at 4ish months). I went in all proud that I had my 90 day chart, with my calories, carbs, fats, and Protein all charted out. And then I had a graph of my weight loss, and my measurements weekly for that time. She looked everything over, and asked me how exhausting tracking all of this was for me. I told her it was the new normal. And she shook her head and said it was anything but normal, and that she wanted me to turn off my mfp, and not track anything for 14 days. You know what? I still lost the same 2ish pounds a week, and my sleeve didn't blow up. She explained to me that one of the reasons I got the sleeve was to reduce my portions, and to make good choices, but it was also a tool to help me lose weight, but not lose my mind in the process. I was counting everything that I ate, drank and really stressing about my Water consumption, and my protein consumption. Now that I have stepped away from counting everything, and just eating/drinking good choices, I'm happier, still losing, and the world didn't end. I guess what I'm saying is that you are making choices, and tracking them, why not make the same good choices and not track them for a week or two? Don't stress, relax, and enjoy your trip.

I was exactly the same way. And when I went to the follow-up with the NUT at the 3 month mark (I went in at 4ish months). I went in all proud that I had my 90 day chart' date=' with my calories, carbs, fats, and Protein all charted out. And then I had a graph of my weight loss, and my measurements weekly for that time. She looked everything over, and asked me how exhausting tracking all of this was for me. I told her it was the new normal. And she shook her head and said it was anything but normal, and that she wanted me to turn off my mfp, and not track anything for 14 days. You know what? I still lost the same 2ish pounds a week, and my sleeve didn't blow up. She explained to me that one of the reasons I got the sleeve was to reduce my portions, and to make good choices, but it was also a tool to help me lose weight, but not lose my mind in the process. I was counting everything that I ate, drank and really stressing about my Water consumption, and my Protein consumption. Now that I have stepped away from counting everything, and just eating/drinking good choices, I'm happier, still losing, and the world didn't end. I guess what I'm saying is that you are making choices, and tracking them, why not make the same good choices and not track them for a week or two? Don't stress, relax, and enjoy your trip.[/quote']

I'm so glad you shared this. You know what? My doc said the same thing.

She said I needed to trust myself and the best prescription she could give me was to not track for a whole week and just use what I have learned about how to eat, what to eat, etc and just stop obsessing. That I was going to get tired, burned out, and quit because no one can maintain this pace. And I think she has a very, very, valid point.

It's hardly as though I'm going to run out and eat Cheetos. All I'm eating is protein and a little veg. I should be able to chill out a little.

I think at first maybe we do have to be super diligent when we are learning a new way. At some point though, we need to maybe allow it to become easier and more routine. I am not saying we shouldn't track and eat whatever.

I'm saying if we are going to track, then don't obsess about everything that we tracked. If we are eating right, then don't fret. I need to ease up on myself, and I suspect many others here have felt the same from time to time.

To me, the biggest perk of the surgery is that I finally can relax and not obsess and be successful. I might lose slower because I am not obsessing, but it is just such a psychological relief. I have read enough comments from the vets to know that I will probably need to be more diligent when I am further out. I am making an effort to become active enough that hopefully that will mitigate things to some extent.

To me' date=' the biggest perk of the surgery is that I finally can relax and not obsess and be successful. I might lose slower because I am not obsessing, but it is just such a psychological relief. I have read enough comments from the vets to know that I will probably need to be more diligent when I am further out. I am making an effort to become active enough that hopefully that will mitigate things to some extent.[/quote']

I'm hoping we can be diligent about choices and portions, and let up on the constant obsession, but may be a pipe dream!

Yes' date=' yes I do. In fact I woke up thinking EXACTLY that this morning. I'm obsessing. I'm worrying. I'm too focused on this and for a few days, I just want to BE. I want to do what feels right, I want to not track every morsel that goes into my mouth, for just a few days, I just want to be my old self. I am going to cancun with my husband on Saturday. I have a hellacious week to get through before then, but I need to chill out and start looking forward to the vacation, and I need normalcy back in my life. This obsessing--part of it is just me. I'm goal-oriented and I get to things via hyper-focusing and working hard to get there. that's fine, that's healthy, that works whatever. The part that is NOT healthy? In this case, it's driven by fear. It's driven by fear that I will fail at this, and that's what's keeping me focused. I need a re-set for a while so I can calm down. Oddly, seeing the trends made me calm down. I do this for a living--look at data to find patterns. I looked at my data, I found a pattern, and I see i'm worried for nothing, so time to work on letting go a little.[/quote'] I saw your post on mfp about wanting to just be. I understand where you are coming from because all of that tracking yet while it does work. For me I feel like I'm still living my life revolved around food food food and more food.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Game girl......thank you thank you thank you! I am 5 weeks out & obsessing with the scale & my weight tracker apps. I beat myself up all day over my fluctuations. It is depressing to see lose a lb, gain 1.5, lose 0.5 gain 1.5....ugh it's so frustrating. Thank you all for making me realize it's normal & to put the scale away!

I'm trying an in-between and for the first time yesterday, I felt a little sanity return. I'm writing down what I'm eating, but I am not looking at totals, I'm not entering three Snacks and then picking the best one, I'm not obsessing about what I'm eating. I'm writing it down (typing it) and moving on. And i ate whenever I was hungry yesterday, and I think I did just fine.

I use MFP and the only thing I consistently "obsess" over is my Protein intake because I have had tremendous difficulties getting my protein. Doc told me not to think about calories, but focus on the protein. I think that once I consistently hit my protein goal, I can let go of the protein obsession.

Based on what I've read here, I've recorded my weight when I've been at the doctor's office and tried to resist the temptation of jumping on the scale frequently.

I use MFP and the only thing I consistently "obsess" over is my Protein intake because I have had tremendous difficulties getting my Protein. Doc told me not to think about calories' date=' but focus on the protein. I think that once I consistently hit my protein goal, I can let go of the protein obsession. Based on what I've read here, I've recorded my weight when I've been at the doctor's office and tried to resist the temptation of jumping on the scale frequently.[/quote']

The day I can not jump on the scale daily? I would be so proud of myself! This is my big downfall. Good for you!