Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will you lie about the surgery?

Funny.. I've told just about everyone and the only people who have given me a hard time are the skinny over achiever types... you know... so skinny the still look like a sickly 12year old at 40... they are SO sure I could lose all this weight with just a few small changes in my diet. I just thank them for their concern and say... next time I see you ill be skinnier! I then get a very concerned look as I walk away smiling and glad that at least I'm not shaped like a 12 year old boy :)... most everyone is excited for me

My mom's cousin was like this with me as well. But for the most part, most everyone in my life knows that I'd had these struggles since high school, so everyone that knew me was on board with what I was doing. And if they didn't, well, "sorry, but this is what I've chosen to do and I am comfortable in my decision."

"Female problems". I am a female- I have problems.

Thats what I said too! I did get a lot of questions though.

I didn't lie about it, everybody knows the reason I took medical leave at work, I work for a company located inside another business, all my co workers knew but when I went back to work the people in the other business were like wait, you have been gone a couple months right?! Then they ask ever so quietly " did you lose weight?!" I just tell em yes and say I had a gastric sleeve surgery, everyone has had a a really good reaction very positive.. I figured if I show positivity about it they usually will too. My customers too everyone has been super awesome about it..

and so what on anything else. :o
just curious, are you using google translator or something? Just thought maybe English isn't your first language?

Edited by luvzpitbullz

just curious, are you using google translator or something? Just thought maybe English isn't your first language?

I don't think that's the case. His other posts are "normal". Maybe having a bit of a problem.

I don't think that's the case. His other posts are "normal". Maybe having a bit of a problem.
yah I saw that too. How bizarre.

It's funny when people tell you that your taking the easy way out, then when you tell them everything that you have to go through like never smoking, drinking soda, taking anti inflammatory drugs, getting sick from eating too much surgery foods, having to eat super slow,etc. Then they say it's too much. Smh

I told people the truth. I go in for mine next Thursday and I am psyched. Losing almost 25 ibs on my own plus the surgery don't be ashamed !! Tell them. Let them think what they want because in the end it's your health not theirs!!

I'm thankful people yold me they had it. I want to trll thr world to help others. Thry are going to talk either way. Either you had the surgery or they think your sick. No one loses this much weight on your own and keeps it off. My auny lied and is still noy being honest. She said she had gall bladder problems. She just looks fake and silly for lying. Just sayin.

I'm thankful people yold me they had it. I want to trll thr world to help others. Thry are going to talk either way. Either you had the surgery or they think your sick. No one loses this much weight on your own and keeps it off. My auny lied and is still noy being honest. She said she had gall bladder problems. She just looks fake and silly for lying. Just sayin.

Ikr, I think my best friend's cousin had it, because she was really over weight, she weighed at least 270+ at 5'6. All of a sudden she's dropping weight like crazy now she's around 140, and all of this within two years, and she's still losing. I keep asking my friend if she know how she's losing the weight, and she insist that she doesn't know. So I sent the cousin a message on Facebook congratulating her and telling her that I wish I could lose weight too, and all she said was thanx girl is all due to hard work. It's just hard for me to believe that, because most people that's this heavy usually bounce back and forth with their weight. It's very rare that someone will just all of a sudden up and decide to just take it off and keep it off without any struggles.

With that being said, had she told me about the surgery I probably would have put more effort into trying to get it myself, after seeing someone who's successful at it.

Edited by jashantee

I am thinking about telling people I'm going in for a hernia surgery but I'm not sure if the specefics are similar to WLS. (Incisions' date=' pain level, hospital time etc)

Will you lie? And if so what will you say?[/quote']

I only told two people at work. My boss and my best friend. Everyone else I'm telling about my hernia surgery and that's all they need to know about it. Its not a lie. Its just not the entire true nor any of their business until I am ready to talk about it.

I have not had the operation yet, still awaiting my EGD then my surgery will be scheduled. I'm hoping to have a surgery date of December 3. But I have had a lot of debate with this subject matter as well.

A dear family member of mine had mentioned that they were concerned and that I needed to loose weight. So I informed them I was having the operation. The look on their face when I told them said it all. They then tried talking me out of the operation. Saying it was the cowards way out, extremely dangerous, I'd lose all my hair, never be able to eat people good again, etc. I let them speak their mind then I informed them that at one point I thought the same about it being the "easy" way out. That was until I attended all the pre op classes and learned how hard I would have to work to maintain and keep the weight off. That the surgery is a simple jump start to the rest of a healthy lifestyle change for me and will probably be one of the hardest things in my life.

Most negative people will either be jealous or not well educated on the surgery. Educate them. Maybe it will change their minds and they could be your number one supporter in the end.

I have decided I will not be a closet sleever. To me this operation is to help with the diagnosis of obesity. No different than someone taking medication for blood pressure or insulin for diabetes. This is going to help improve my quality of life. Maybe my experience will help someone else who is on the fence to take the plunge.

Best of luck in your decision to tell or not to tell.