Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all... Before getting the band, I took Fosamax for Osteopenia. It's a big pill and becasue I was worried about it getting stuck, I got my doctor to agree to let me try getting off the medication altogether. Last week I had a bone density test (one year after discontinuing the drug) and the results were not good. I am now on the verge of full blown Osteoporosis having lost a lot of bone in the last 12 months. I am really tight right now and know I cannot swallow even a small pill. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you handle it?

Cindy

Fosamax does offer an oral solution, I saw it under "how to take" on Fosamax.com

Boniva looks like it is a smaller pill (from the Boniva commercials), and while I didn't see an oral solution listed for Boniva, there is an injection.

That's a good question...my doc said that I'd have to crush ALL pills for life (or get liquid or chewable).

What I want to know is...WHY??? If that pill is tiny and I don't have much restriction...can't I just swallow it? For instance I take a pill that is about half the size of a pencil eraser...why should I have to crush it?

That's a good question...my doc said that I'd have to crush ALL pills for life (or get liquid or chewable).

What I want to know is...WHY??? If that pill is tiny and I don't have much restriction...can't I just swallow it? For instance I take a pill that is about half the size of a pencil eraser...why should I have to crush it?

i don't have any problems swallowing pills--and a couple of mine are really large.

maybe it depends on the individual--try it and see if it goes down! the same applies with food....you just have to try.

Yes, I take my Synthroid pill and a Capsule for another med. Neither one is huge - and I take them at night when I have the least restriction.

If you have problems taking the pill - ask your pharmacist if the pill can be cut or crushed.

Good Luck!

I am allowed to take pills as long as they are smaller than an M&M.(i break tylenol in half as it is longer than an M&M) I am taking a muscle relaxer right now for a pulled tendon/muscle and they go down fine. Be aware that fosamax and boniva can both cause ulcers, and I was told should be avoided. I have ostteopenia and will eventually have to be one some type of meds, I will do the Boniva injectable. I have already talked to my doctor and bnd doc about my options. ~Mandy

I was searching for info on pills and found this. I take quite a lot of medications that don't come in liquid or chewable form. I've been crushing them but that seems to cause more problems than chewing up the darn things. I really don't want to be chewing them up for the rest of my life :)

Some are smaller than an M&M, some larger. I'm not going to even try right now because I was just banded and don't want irritate by throwing up but DID want to get some more experiences so I bumped the thread :woot:

Thanks for any info.

My Dr. told me after the 1st month i could swollow pills if they fit on a dime. Hope that helps with some of your meds. I would check with your DR. 1st.

Stacy:)

I got realllllly stuck on a comtrex cold tablet. It was a fatter tylenol sized pill. It to hours for it to dissolve. I called my surgeon and he said that if it wasn't gone by a certain time to call him back and he would meet me at the ER for an unfill. It did dissolve with lots of hot tea that was when he told me nothing bigger than an M&M he didn't do my surgery or I would have been told that pre-op. ~Mandy

I always ask to see the meds before I have them filled. My pharmacy is aware of my size limitations. I ask for liquids when available. Both the doctor and pharmacy work with me when they can. ~Mandy