Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Holy Crap That Hurts

I had my 1st fill last week 1.3 cc. I did the liquid diet for the next 2 days. Did fine w/ that was very hungry but, managed to get through it. Yesterday I was so hungry and I was busy w/ the husband, and kids I just grabbed a piece of cheese and ate it. I chewed it up pretty well but, obviously not good enough. I got the worst pain in my chest I thought I was going to die. I couldn't even swallow my spit. I couldn't stand it any more so I made myself throw it up. After I got the cheese out I felt so much better. Then again today I had a bite of an enchilada (which I've been eating since lap band) and the same thing happened again. I had to go to the bathroom and throw it up. Has this happened to other people? If so how often? It makes me not ever want to eat again. Is that how people w/ lap band loose weight? Too scared to eat? I just want to know what other people have done in this situation. I'm super nervous to put food in my mouth. Any help would be great.

I had my 1st fill last week 1.3 cc. I did the liquid diet for the next 2 days. Did fine w/ that was very hungry but, managed to get through it. Yesterday I was so hungry and I was busy w/ the husband, and kids I just grabbed a piece of cheese and ate it. I chewed it up pretty well but, obviously not good enough. I got the worst pain in my chest I thought I was going to die. I couldn't even swallow my spit. I couldn't stand it any more so I made myself throw it up. After I got the cheese out I felt so much better. Then again today I had a bite of an enchilada (which I've been eating since lap band) and the same thing happened again. I had to go to the bathroom and throw it up. Has this happened to other people? If so how often? It makes me not ever want to eat again. Is that how people w/ lap band loose weight? Too scared to eat? I just want to know what other people have done in this situation. I'm super nervous to put food in my mouth. Any help would be great.

I've had a few such incidents, and they kinda suck.

My best advice is to eat mushie food for a meal or two, I find that throwing up, or PB as we call it, irritates my stomach, and a meal or two resting it helps.

Try some solid Protein, some fish for example. Chew really well, small bites all that. If you still have problems, you may be a little too tight. You need to be able to eat healthy food.

I also find that after each fill, what I can eat changes, and I have to be more careful. I was able to eat sushie rice, now it's a bit more challenging. Tortillas are pretty much out now.

i had the same experience--thinking that i could still eat the same after the fill----but uh, uh! had 2 incidences of "oh oh, it's STUCK!!" and one PB--then another--the next day. have learned that if it's not SOUP--i really have to SLOW DOWN, CHEW WELL, and wait to see if the food is all going down nicely. if i rush--i start to feel a little stuck. and that slows me down REAL quick.

all on 1 fill! but--i still think i can eat too much---not feeling satisfied quickly enough.

i think if you take enough time to eat--and pay attention-this will not happen (as much). i find if i let myself get too hungry--and then RUSH to eat--it is probably going to happen again.

i have been staying away from really dense foods--but i can eat chicken, omelets, hamburger, turkey burger--all by focusing and pacing myself.

good luck!

Sorry Ryan.

You are no longer a PB virgin. Here's what you need to know. A PB causes swelling - which makes the band all tight, just like after a fill.... so - just like after a fill - you need to do liquids for AT LEAST 24 hours after one of those nasty things.

Otherwise, you will cause a viscious cycle. You PB cause you were eating too fast, or whatever - you swell up - you try to eat again, PB again... cause more swelling and irritation...

If you don't do liquids, your esophogus will stay irritated and so will you - cause you won't be able to eat.

Give yourself a day on liquids, graduate to mushies and soft stuff and then try to eat solid food again - very carefully.

Good Luck!

i had the same experience--thinking that i could still eat the same after the fill----but uh, uh! had 2 incidences of "oh oh, it's STUCK!!" and one PB--then another--the next day. have learned that if it's not SOUP--i really have to SLOW DOWN, CHEW WELL, and wait to see if the food is all going down nicely. if i rush--i start to feel a little stuck. and that slows me down REAL quick.

all on 1 fill! but--i still think i can eat too much---not feeling satisfied quickly enough.

i think if you take enough time to eat--and pay attention-this will not happen (as much). i find if i let myself get too hungry--and then RUSH to eat--it is probably going to happen again.

i have been staying away from really dense foods--but i can eat chicken, omelets, hamburger, turkey burger--all by focusing and pacing myself.

good luck!

Interesting, so after the fill not only will the amount I can eat change, but what I can eat as well? :)

I get my first fill in a week and a half and I am doing so well on solids, I figured after the 1st fill, I'd just eat less... sounds like you REALLY become a bandster once you start with the fills. I guess I had heard that but never registered it. Am I accurate?

Hahaha, noobs. :D (See, it's my one year band anniversary)

I had my first PB on cheddar cheese, 3 days after surgery, with no fill. To date, it's one of my worst.

Interesting, so after the fill not only will the amount I can eat change, but what I can eat as well? :)
Bingo! For the most part, anyway. I don't really have any limitations on the types of foods I can eat, but I do have limitations on when I can eat. I had some crustless pizza for dinner lastnight, didn't think twice about it. Had some for lunch today and had to pardon myself from a conference call to go yak it up. For me, eating before about 1pm is a hit or miss. Almost always it comes with pain, unless I stick (as I've learned to do) with Soups or warm soft foods. The weightloss does not (should not, anyway) come from being afraid to eat, it should come from portions being drastically reduced because the band encourages the "I'm full" trigger early into the meal.

Thank you so much, Wheetin for that advice- I did not realize that. Sometimes as I read posts here I think that everyone has a different band experience, so that is why some can eat certain foods.

My inner fattie was super happy with that theory, assuming that I would be 'lucky' and while my portions may be reduced, I would still get to eat foods that were off limits to many bandsters.

But alas, my inner skinny healthy chic is glad that once I get the fill I will feel more restriction and even (hopefully) have foods I can't eat because of my new tool (the band).

Right now I have next to no restriction. I have not had a fill yet, I am on solid foods and I can eat pizza, etc. I am trying not to- I am making better choices than before surgery, but it is a journey. :)

Since my first and only fill (2cc) I have not been able to eat much more than Soup and salad. Even then, I must eat slowly and not drink anything 30 mins before or after eating. It seems a little frustrating, but the weight is coming off so I can live with it.