Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weekend before Surgery - Any Helpful HINTS???

Hello Post Op LB Colleagues :)

I was wondering if you could share what you coulda, woulda shoulda had in your house before you left for the hospital - things from Grocery and the Pharmacy?? I see GasX mentioned a lot, so, check - that's on my list.

I also see many who "cheat" , many right off the bat and in my humble opinion I want to avoid THAT at all costs - so what items have satisfied the "old" you - the compulsive unsatisfied hunger you, post op?

Now, I do know that there isn't a magic potion - I am being realistic, but I do like to share secrets and I'm hoping that some of you have some that have worked for you and that you'll share. I want an arsenal of "go-to" ideas - I'm a planner, what can I say.

Also, what are your favorite Protein shakes/drinks - I'm really looking for those that are already made - grab and go although we're NEVER suppose to eat on the run - I was told that each meal should take an hour - that's going to be difficult with three kids and their activities. Which reminds me - how about stuff that you leave in the car to satisfy a hunger pain?

All of your "Ah-Ha" moments post op would be GREAT - I'd love to hear them.

Much THANKS!

Just make sure you have all you need for the phases of your post op diet . broth Popsicles cream Soups . Your throat will be sore the first day or so .ao sugar free Popsicles are great.

Ice packs/heating pads -a body pillow comes in handy if you are a side sleeper .

I bought a ninja food processor who his great for all phases .. Can purée anything and at great for shakes . I use the GNC shake mixes in big red container ..they taste good and just buy a Blender Bottle and are easy to make.

I've got my NutriBullet - so I can blend anything :) - thanks HopefulinNY

I was given one of those anti-nausea bracelets and it worked like a charm. Also, Chapstick or something for your lips, and loose, comfy clothes. I ate a lot of sugar free Jello and broth right after surgery. I drink the Pure Protein ready-to-drink Frosty chocolate shakes and love them. Best wishes to you! :)

I was extremely nauseas for 4 days after surgery so I drank mint herb tea with honey and lemon ginger herb tea with honey it also helped soothe my throat. I also used an ice pack on my port and it helped with the muscle pain. Good luck!

My BEST advice to you is to take things moment to moment. What seems impossible one moment will be better the next.

Allow yourself some TLC, you need it your body needs it. This is a MAJOR operation, and while you may feel well after a day or so take it easy. Follow your post-op guidelines and diet.

Do not go right to any type of solid or even purred food right off the surgery table. Stick to your fluids, adding Protein as applicable to the diet your surgeons office or nut provide you.

Comfy clothes, ice packs, hot Water bottle, warm tea herbal or any other kind help with the gas and discomfort feelings. sugar free ice pops are your saving grace. They sooth and help with the internal swelling as well.

Gas ex or other gas reliving formula will help you don't panic if you have gas pain and/or shoulder pain.

My biggest aha moment after surgery was the most embarrassing, it was that first gas release! Never though I would love to fart, but OMG I felt 10x better after.

Hydrate, sip from small medicine cups or teaspoons so your not overwhelmed by the Fluid intake the first day.

Most of all keep your spirits high and think of how awesome your going to look and feel in a few weeks!

Best of luck to you for a speedy recovery!

This was such a great question to post. I actually learned a few things. My best friend has been the heating pad. It really helped soothe my back pain from the gas.

I got Propel Zero because it has Vitamins & electrolytes and it tastes great especially the grape. sugar-free Popsicles are great. I have sugar-free Jello but my new belly wasn't quite ready for the Jello yet.

Good luck on your surgery and keep us posted on your progress.

I didn't do well with post op anesthesia and took me a good 5-7 days to eat more than 200 calories. Make sure you stay hydrated above all else. When I finally started tolerating foods it was sugar free vanilla pudding, mrs.grass soup/broth. Greek yogurt and sugar free applesauce. Most days I would eat one thing but I drank a lot of Water. Nothing with a lot of flavor was any good. I haven't tried them but Unjury Protein Shakes get very high recommendations in my area. They are only online. Believe it or not the first hard thing I ate was a tortilla chip. Now I can eat pretty much anything but have learned that I can't eat all of certain thing (bread intake is absolutely limited) I am 9 month and 4 fill post op. Have just recently considered myself the closest thing to "green" zone. Well, off on a tangent here so I will end with good luck to you!

Thank you for asking this ccjil, I was in fact, about to post this exact question. I will have limited help at home after surgery and wanted to make sure I have everything in order before I go in, Oct 29th is my magic day.

Thanks everyone for your reply's!! I would love to hear from others as well, just like ccjil, I'm a planner :-)

One thing I wondered about is, sitting after surgery. I have a big comfy recliner that I sit in, and am planning on sleeping in the first couple of nights. I'm a side sleeper and many have said this will be uncomfortable for the first couple days due to the port. So, to keep my sleep apnea at bay while sleeping on my back, the recliner will work quite nicely. BUT.... is that going to be an issue getting up and out of, with the stitches (staples in my case)?

Thank you for asking this ccjil' date=' I was in fact, about to post this exact question. I will have limited help. BUT.... is that going to be an issue gettin up and out of, with the stitches (staples in my case)?[/quote'] bottom line is everyone is different. I could move easy enuf but just didn't have any appetite for anything. Not sure how staples will be- I think the chair will be fine. I slept in bed- no pain at port site- more just tired and emotionally drained wondering "should I have done this?!" I am thankful I did but every day is something new and I love that I have the band to keep me reminded of my relationship with food.< /div>

Good luck tomorrow! Not to be negative but pls do not go into this thinking it will be a quick fix. It's been 1yr since my band procedure and unfortunately I am at the same weight. Even though I knew it wasn't a quick fix, I think I hoped it would be (which is 100% my fault). Plus my clinic went bankrupt a few months after my surgery (CIBO clinic in Toronto) so that didn't help.

If you are disciplined and follow the instructions you will succeed. I am being honest when I say that I did not. My biggest disappointment was that I never felt "full" with the band filled, so I found ways to cheat.

Anyways, most people are successful and you will be as well...I'm hoping I will be successful one day. I will pray for you to have great success!

God bless and good luck :-)

Shahila

Good luck tomorrow! Not to be negative but pls do not go into this thinking it will be a quick fix. It's been 1yr since my band procedure and unfortunately I am at the same weight.) Shahila

It's different for everyone ... I have lost less than 10# since surgery so far and my 5% pre surgery.... But there is noticeable difference in clothing. Stick with it :)

Thank you for asking this ccjil' date=' I was in fact, about to post this exact question. I will have limited help at home after surgery and wanted to make sure I have everything in order before I go in, Oct 29th is my magic day. Thanks everyone for your reply's!! I would love to hear from others as well, just like ccjil, I'm a planner :-) One thing I wondered about is, sitting after surgery. I have a big comfy recliner that I sit in, and am planning on sleeping in the first couple of nights. I'm a side sleeper and many have said this will be uncomfortable for the first couple days due to the port. So, to keep my sleep apnea at bay while sleeping on my back, the recliner will work quite nicely. BUT.... is that going to be an issue getting up and out of, with the stitches (staples in my case)?[/quote']

I was just banded on the 15th. I've slept in my recliner each night since I've been home. I too am a side sleeper, but it has been easier getting out of the recliner than sitting up from the bed. Good luck to you on your big day!