Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greetings Everyone,

I found this app/forum while searching for info on the lap band procedure. I've read a lot of stories on here good and bad. I'm here because a year ago I complained to my doctor about not being able to lose weight. He suggested the lap band surgery and I simply looked at him crossed eyed. Lol! Well last month I had my yearly visit and the same complaint with 10 extra pounds...this time when he mentioned it I did not roll my eyes...I gave serious thought.

I've always been active but since the birth of my daughter (16 yrs ago) I've been in the struggle with this eating and binging. I'm 5'10" and weigh 285. (I will only share that on here for no fear of judgement) I have felt the slow onset of joint pain, back pain, heavy breathing after the stairs, fitting room disasters, tears, depression, lack of libido, the list goes on....I'm tired y'all....real tired. Therefore my activity is decreasing because I can't do a good work out for the pain.

I had my seminar this past weekend, a support group coming up on Thursday and an appointment with my surgeon in 11/1/13. I am seriously considering this because I am at my wits end. A once sexy diva is no longer that and I want it back!

I am still in serious thought of trying to do this without the band but if could have I would have. I need the help of not eating. Something has to stop me. Since I can't stop myself maybe the band can.

Sorry for the rant. Thanks for reading. Any encouragement will be gladly accepted.

Much love in life.

Several thousand people here relate to your story. One thing you should be aware of is, the band won't stop you from eating bad foods. What it does, if it's properly adjusted, it can help you feel less/not hungry for 4-5 hours. Those food demons that dance around our heads will always be there but can be contained much easier after the band is adjusted so it performs it's magic.

Don't go into this thinking this will be easy and you will have your friends/relatives claim you're taking the easy way out. It's not, not by a long shot. This will be one of the hardest things you may ever do in your life. But, with the band, losing weight and keeping it off is now achievable. Where before, for most of us, it was impossible.

tmf

Hi Starfish and welcome to this forum -- I've learned so much here and am looking forward to getting banded three weeks from today. I know it will be a lot of work but I'm used to that -- what I need is this tool to help me finally be successful at losing this weight.

Thank you 2muchfun. I have a lot to consider. This is such a permanent move.

Welcome. The band is the best thing I have done for ME. I no longer take a lot of medications. A lot of pain is gone and I can walk without stopping and resting. Last Thursday night was a fund raiser walk at the Boston Common (about 1 mile) I did it and I felt wonderful!!

I can keep up with my 3 grandsons now.

I wish you a lot of luck with whatever you decide. But do it for you and no one else.

Thank you Dylanmiles23. This definitely for ME. I've only told my husband about my probability of having the band. He is very supportive and will be attending my first support group meeting with me.

Several thousand people here relate to your story. One thing you should be aware of is, the band won't stop you from eating bad foods. What it does, if it's properly adjusted, it can help you feel less/not hungry for 4-5 hours. Those food demons that dance around our heads will always be there but can be contained much easier after the band is adjusted so it performs it's magic.

Don't go into this thinking this will be easy and you will have your friends/relatives claim you're taking the easy way out. It's not, not by a long shot. This will be one of the hardest things you may ever do in your life. But, with the band, losing weight and keeping it off is now achievable. Where before, for most of us, it was impossible.

tmf

well said and this is for you :

we-not-worthy.gif

It's a great way to loose weight and feel good about yourself. My son is 41 still said I had my baby weight from him. Lol! I was 18 gained 72 lbs and really fought weight lose ever since! I had the lap band with plication nov 6,2012. Never looked back. Just what I needed. My sister almost 2 years out. We love it! Best of success in whatever you decide. Remember it's all in our head!

Hello I had lapband surgery about 7 years ago. I had the 4 cc put in but I ate to much stretched it and had another surgery with the 10 put in. I was 215 when had now I go from 175-185 easily. I want to be 140 but don't no how to get there. I a. Thi king too see if I can get the band out and have a sleeve. Anyone have this??

Hello I had lapband surgery about 7 years ago. I had the 4 cc put in but I ate to much stretched it and had another surgery with the 10 put in. I was 215 when had now I go from 175-185 easily. I want to be 140 but don't no how to get there. I a. Thi king too see if I can get the band out and have a sleeve. Anyone have this??

There's no such thing as a sure thing with losing all our weight. The sleeve has some similar issues with the band and has some other issues all it's own. With the band, it's so important to be in the green zone. The proper adjustment is so important. Basic math is at the center of all weight loss be it WLS or just dieting. With a properly adjusted band you should be able to eat less and feel satisfied longer.

But, most all of us were banded because we didn't want 90% of our stomach's removed and we could always have it(the band) removed and try a sleeve or bypass. You might want to also subscribe to the sleevetalk side of the forum? I'm sure there are many former bandster's over there? You won't find many or any former sleevers here since you need a stomach to get a band. Good luck.

I am filled to the max doc said I won't get anything down if I go tighter I'm like at 8 in a 10. Where do I find the info on the sleeve? I am aware there is no quick fix I just wonder how some can get down so low what they do to get there. Thanks for your advice

I am filled to the max doc said I won't get anything down if I go tighter I'm like at 8 in a 10. Where do I find the info on the sleeve? I am aware there is no quick fix I just wonder how some can get down so low what they do to get there. Thanks for your advice

If you count calories and keep them around 1000/day you should lose 2-4 lbs a month. I would highly recommend you count calories. You can go to this site and sign up if you want to know more about the sleeve: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/ Just be aware that there are a few angry X-bandster's over there.

Is there any place to get a diet plan of how to eat. I no the whole chewing alot things to avoid I been banded for a long time. It's just I have tried so many things with little success. I just want to loose the rest of the weight somehow and learn how to keep it off. I drfinetly learned the lap band wasn't a quick fix or my Tummy Tuck none of it. Thank you

Is there any place to get a diet plan of how to eat. I no the whole chewing alot things to avoid I been banded for a long time. It's just I have tried so many things with little success. I just want to loose the rest of the weight somehow and learn how to keep it off. I drfinetly learned the lap band wasn't a quick fix or my Tummy Tuck none of it. Thank you

I think you may need to "rethink" eating period. It's my understanding that all three procedures are not fix so you can eat whatever and lose weight; you've got to discipline your self to do the right thing. If banding didn't work I'm not sure how another procedure will either. :-( . It seems you are crying out for a different kind help. What are you eating? What's the REAL reason for your set back? Be honest with yourself. Then and only then will you free yourself from the demon called "food".

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

Well I started at 215 currently go from 186-175. I try different things but have trouble sticking to it. Like ill go off and have ice cream or machines with cheese and just from that gain 3-4 lbs instantly. I try hard to eat clean but that program I was tring was really hard to stick to since I'm a nurse working alot with 4 children. I need convience but most time convience isn't always healthy. I still do have to eat slow and watch at times I guess maybe too many calories I intake. I think it's finding the right program that is livable and I can stick to it.