Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would you do it again?

Would you do it again?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Would you do it again?

• Yes
    • No

Definately...Yes! Lapband saved my life!

:) becky

I voted yes even though I have been one of the slower losers. I am really happy with my reduced appetite and my slimmer body. I couldn't have done this by myself. The occasional PB or golfball really doesn't bother me. I weigh 170 now and I feel a lot happier with myself.:)

RNY's I have two employees that are 2 years post op (RNY) One lost 225 the first year, and gained 100 of it back the second. The other lost 235 and I swear has the most jacked up eating habits, and I suspect binges and well you know.... Yuko!

Thankful for lap band!

2 years post op

210 pounds lost!

Totaly at goal.

Life is good!

My mother in law had the RNY surgery 2 years ago. I cant believe how much food she can consume now. It scares me to think what may happen to her....

I dont think the RNY surgery gives them the ability to really think about food as we banders do.... Its slower for us.... We have more of a chance to struggle a bit and think of why .... The RNY's just lose and then sadly regain the weight.... And the sad thing is, it can really cause deadly problems.... I am so glad I chose the LapBand

I am only 8 days out -- but would -- at least at this point of my new venture.

:) Gina

I voted yes and feel so grateful for my band. Like Moses said - it's so nice to see the scale move down. I get on my scale everyday and usually it stays the same for a few days and then drops and then stays the same and drops... Used to go up and up and up. Also, each day I like putting on clothes and seeing how things fit me differently. Like, my top roll is smaller, my legs look slimmer, my arms aren't as jiggly. All of this is because I have the band to help me control what I eat. Sometimes I get frustrated but it's all worth it

So glad to hear that so many of you would do it again. I'm dying of starvation on this pre-op diet right now and the words keep me strong. I am losing but I always lose and re-gain. I am looking foward to something that will keep me from re-gaining all the hard work!

i didn't vote.

because i'm not sure how to answer that.

i'll be honest, i'm very disenchanted regarding my band. i never antisipated being able to have 3ccs in a 4cc band and having zero restriction. having the same amount of hunger, the same fears and worries about my weight after being banded... it kills me. after my last fill i just cried and cried. i know i need to get another fill. but i need to save the money first... it's not as easy as getting the surgery and bam! you start losing. it may be for some, those lucky ducks!

so. in order to not emotional-eat myself to death, i rejoined weight watchers. what's different in my life now versus pre-lap band? about a $9k increase in debt, scars on my belly and i can't drink soda!

but but but i don't have proper restriction. maybe i'll get there and will start losing weight and i will fall as head over heels in love with my band as other people are.

i don't want to be all whiney and annoying, but i'm sure i'm not the only one who goes through this stage and i feel its important to see all sides of the banded life. i wish i read stuff like this when i was researching.

so i'm going to hold off on voting. :tired

Silry, I can somewhat relate. I had complications on my surgery day with the 9.75 band, so my doctor had me stay overnight in the hospital and have the larger VG band installed the following day. Talk about disheartening, right from the start I was in trouble. After two surgerys and a follow up, I went to my first supposed fill appointment. I was still swollen and losing weight following all instructions. At the first appointment the Dr. told me all was well and he was happy with my progress and did not make a fill. (I wa still losing and feeling good) I was told that I was fully healed and should folllow the solid food guidelines. After a few weeks, I had no restrictions. I waited a few more weeks for trying in vain to follow the guidelines, but I was always hungry, in fear, unrestricted and couldn't even have a beer (or soda) to drown my sorrows. I then made an appointment for a fill. It was the week before New Years. I expressed my concern with the Dr. telling him about having no restriction, eating all I want, etc, he told me not to worry. I was told (I thought) I was filled with 5cc's and assured that 5cc's would cause significant restriction. I was sent home to return in two months for a check. After the two months I still had no restriction and was gaining weight. I got depressed. This depression, coupled with a work related injury, spiraled into a deeper depression. Being able to eat as much as, or more than I had before the surgery and a fill, was devastating. I gave up hope and convinced myself that I could not lose weight no matter what I tried, even with the lap band. This furthered my downward spiral and made me afraid to return to the Dr. for fear of being branded a failure. After several months of depression, on this past Thursday, I made the decision to see the Dr. At the appointment, I learned that I had gained back all but three of my pre-op weight, but I already knew this by how my clothes fit. (I don't weigh myself, because I already know I'm overweight) The Dr. said to me , you only have 2cc's in, where have you been. I told him about the lack of restriction and feeling like a failure, but he already knew this, because I was not the first. I was mistaken about the size of my first fill and it caused me to spiral. He then filled me from 2 to 5cc's. Since Thursday, I now have to wonder whether I am filled too much, as I can barely eat anything. I have now graduated into the family of PB, Slime, Throw-up, etc. I am just now, after more than six months, learing about the band and it's inticacies, but relishing it. So, long story short, before youn give up hope, go see the Dr. Oh, and stay away from soda, you'll get used to it. Good luck.

I voted no. Mainly because I have not seen much weight loss, have felt terrible pain from being overfilled, can not eat the things I am used to (even the healthy stuff), crap goes right thru, and my whole life has changed for nothing. I still buy the Vitamin appetite control things, my cravings/hunger is still there, I apparently can eat enough to stretch my pouch, and have to worry about every little thing now. Eating out is a pain, eating in front of co-workers is a chore, and I hate the way I feel about myself even more. Being a lap band failure is worse than being a regular old failure. At least when I was a regular old failure, I could eat broccoli and bread when I wanted to. Or, salad... or nuts... or drink a coke... or .... well you get the point.

And don't get me started about the questions from others. "so, how are you doing? How much have you lost?" Or the look I get from my DH when I eat something I am "not suppose" to.

This TOOL works for some, but has not worked for me. This was my last ditch effort and I still have the same "head issues" and physical issues such as carb cravings. It will not work if you are a sweet eater.

I am not banded yet but am in the process. I just read your post and had to tell you that is exactly what my surgeon told me at the seminar and at my consult. Him and the head nurse both said 'if you like sweets, this is not the surgery for you and you should consider the rouxenY. My friend that is also trying to get surgery was totally set for the lap band until we went to this and had our consults. For her that would be a major problem because she loves her sweets but for me I rarely eat them now so I hope I will suceed with the band. My friend is now going for the rouxen Y because she loves her sweets to much.

Sorry to hear you are not doing well with your band. Remember each day is a new day.