Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much time did you take off from work?

I'm trying to figure out how much time I should bank. So could you post how much time you took off and what kind of work you do?

I'm a programmer but might end up working in a huge print room due to government cut backs. I work 13 hours shifts three days straight.

So how much time did you take and was it enough?

I took 6 weeks. My doctor had me approved to go back after 4 but I asked for an extension. I stand for 9 hours a day with barely any breaks. There was just no way I could do that after 4 weeks. I've been back to work for a little over a week now and feel fine. 6 weeks was perfect for me but I have friends that went back after 4 weeks because they sit at a desk all day and they were fine.

Surgery: 8/13/13 HW 319 SW 287 CW 258

I went back 10 days post op.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

My doctor but me out for 6 weeks and I took it all. Physically, I was healed at 2 weeks but, progressing through the different eating phases, getting all the required fluids and getting into an exercise routine takes some time. I wanted to be prepared as possible when I went back to work.

How long until you can drive after surgery ?
I was driving after 10 days. You have to be off pain meds and feel comfortable twisting left and right. I am an elementary teacher and took 3 weeks off. I was exhausted everyday after work. 5 weeks off would've been great.

I took two weeks off and planned to go back half days on week three. By the end of week three I was back full time. I felt too good to sit at home and do nothing!!

I only took 2 weeks off and acted as if it was a vacation . I was a little tired in the evenings but I went for short walks to wake me up. Pack a small lunch bag and your liquids. Granted I have a sit down job so it was fine for me. I'm 5 1/2 weeks out and I feel great!

I took two weeks but could've gone back after one. I had minimal pain, no complications, and a quick recovery. I'm a bank teller. I'm on my feet all day but it didn't bother me. I wasn't overly tired or anything.

Everyone is different. Some people seem to have more pain than others, or are tired all the time, or are dealing w/nausea. Plan on taking whatever amount of time your doctor recommends. You can always go back sooner if you feel up to it and he clears you.

I would just suggest one thing when do return to work. Don't introduce new foods while you're there. I made that mistake twice and spent several hours sick with the 'foamies'. The first time I missed two hours of training on our new computer system because of tuna. Embarrassing! The second time my coworkers were ordering Chinese and I didn't want to be left out. I thought egg-drop Soup would be a safe bet. I was wrong. :-p

Plan your meals, drink your fluids, obey your doctors instructions, listen to your body, and you'll be fine. :-)

I took off for one week, worked full time but from home the second week and started going back into the office the third week. I'm 4 weeks out as of tomorrow, and doing fine.

I work a desk job and went back after 3 weeks. I was tired the first week back but fine. Sitting was a little uncomfortable but okay. I think this depends a lot on your surgery, body, pain tolerance and what job you have. So it will be different with everyone. I would have preferred 5 or six weeks, I had three. I could have probably managed with two.

I was told that I could go back to work after 3 weeks but asked for 4. I am glad I did! I was still exhausted after 3 weeks but am just now almost 4 weeks out and will go back Monday. I am an RN at a very busy labor and delivery unit and work 12 or more hour shifts. I am usually running from the time I get to work until I leave. Hope that helps.

Sue

I have my surgery Friday and my Dr said I would be out of work for a mandatory 4 weeks.

I went back to work at 9 days post op. I have a desk job and was fine, just tired. I would have preferred 2 weeks but I didn't tell my work i was having surgery and was taking unpaid days, so back to the office for me. I'm 5 weeks post op now and feel perfectly fine.