Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't get over the mental hunger

Ugh, I am 3-weeks out, and I know I'm not physically hungry but goodness, my mind won't shut up! UGH! Any tips to get over it?

I remember going into my room and sitting on my bed and just crying just after my surgery. The head-hunger was KILLER. It takes time for the brain to register the changes, and some effort on your part to help it along. Cant say there is a perfect fix, but it does get better with time.

I remember going into my room and sitting on my bed and just crying just after my surgery. The head-hunger was KILLER. It takes time for the brain to register the changes' date=' and some effort on your part to help it along. Cant say there is a perfect fix, but it does get better with time.[/quote']

What about distraction? Do something you like to do that doesn't involve food. Reading, walking, gardening, talk to a friend, knit or crochet, walk the dog, play video games, ANYTHING that'll help keep your mind off it. Then the craving goes away.

If you don't have anything you enjoy doing, now is the time to try a new activity or hobby, or take a class you've always wanted to take.

I still struggle with head hunger!!!:((( hate it! I have to get distracted or will fall!!! Daily struggle

Surgery date 7/25/12

The mental hunger sucks. I had a longing...craving...obsession with the new Wendy's Asiago wrap. I finally had my mister go get one. I took one look at it and said, "I can live without that". It was NOTHING like the commercial.

Other things I've also done is take one taste. Just a taste. Usually whatever I'm craving, doesn't even taste that good.

It does get better. You do get more adept at dealing. I'm new still....but the first couple of weeks SUCKED.

For me it's kfc boneless chibken!

Go for a walk... get your mind off the food. It will pass in time.

Ugh' date=' I am 3-weeks out, and I know I'm not physically hungry but goodness, my mind won't shut up! UGH! Any tips to get over it?[/quote']

3wks out and going through the same! Scared to push limits tho but I had a melt down about a week ago over fat free frozen yogurt from a local shop. Never got any but tried on some old clothes and took a pic and seeing that kinda held my urge to go get it in check. I want to think eventually I can take a bite & I will be ok. Now it's almost to tears fighting what I want to eat but knowing I just can't do it cause that's what lead me here.

The question is...can I just take a bite? I became overweight because of an unnatural obsession with food. I'm going to try to stay on the " plan". It takes awhile for things to become habit.

I remember going into my room and sitting on my bed and just crying just after my surgery. The head-hunger was KILLER. It takes time for the brain to register the changes' date=' and some effort on your part to help it along. Cant say there is a perfect fix, but it does get better with time.[/quote']

I felt the same way! I was wondering if something was wrong with me because I've seen so many ppl on here talk about how their cravings have completely disappeared, and I think about food ALL THE TIME.

The question is...can I just take a bite? I became overweight because of an unnatural obsession with food. I'm going to try to stay on the " plan". It takes awhile for things to become habit.

I have found that after taking the one bite it is not as satisfying as I thought it would be. However there are some foods where I try that theory out and I end up eating more than one bite. The great thing about this is that you physically can not eat what we use to.

I felt the same way! I was wondering if something was wrong with me because I've seen so many ppl on here talk about how their cravings have completely disappeared' date=' and I think about food ALL THE TIME.[/quote']

Mine did not disappear they changed. I never ate much Asian food before the surgery and now I can not get enough of it. Same thing goes for most seafood. I used to crave cakes before surgery and now I don't. I have had cravings for Cookies and some candy. My doc is great and says when you have cravings it is ok to give into them, but don't go overboard with them.

My Dr and shrink say the same thing...just have a tiny bit. For now though I'll stick to lean Protein etc.I need to develop good habits.

I just take a nibble, and usually it tastes nothing like I imagined and the craving dissipates.

THANKS everyone for your support and imput... I really needed it.. Things are getting better. I started crocheting a baby blacket for my son who is expecting his first child and my husband and I have started walking again, and I have gone 3 days without grazing which has helped me feel more in-control.