Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to RNY..first steps

I have had a band for 5 years with minimal success. I had an appointment with a surgeon last week and they are working to get an approval. I have United Healthcare with WLS benefits.

Good luck!!! Life without the band is awesome!!!!

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 225

Agreed!!!

Hopefully I can get UHC to approve!

I was reading some of yalls siggies. Was there a reason you did the band first and not rny or what? Like with me they said I didn't qualify for the vs, band, ds bc I had GERD so severe I actually sprayed the radiologist during a swallow study..they give u that like alcaseltzer (sp) tab stuff and it got half way and I went to say I'm gonna puke and when I opened my mouth it was full Linda Blair everywhere, impressive but gross lol. Anyway, I was just wondering about that that's gotta be hard having to go thru two major surgeries like that..I couldn't imagine.

I did the band first because 7 years ago it just seemed right ! I was 22 and all i was worried about was getting skinny so i could wear cute clothes . Never really did no research just heared it was safe and went for it ! Plus everybody had a horror story it seemed back then about rny so i backed off . Then my best friend had rny a year after me and i watched her success and then many friends and family did it and all had major success . After six years and only a 40lb lost i desided to go foward with the revision . I had my lap band removed and rny the same day 1/29/13. Best choice i ever made i have lost 51 lbs and feel great ! To make a very long story short i pick the band for all the wrong reasons but now i got a second chance at success and i love my new life !

Oh ok. My hair dresser had the band first and I watched her struggle a lot with losing down to what she wanted to lose. Like shed want the Dr to put more than so many cc/mL's in and he wouldnt. I just wasn't sure if maybe civilian docs make this first and then revise with rny. See my rny was done by the military and I personally believe that's why I wound up with complications. I was very naive and should have used a highly reputable surgeon instead of the military that more less used me as a guinea pig

I heard from my insurance company yesterday and i have been approved for revision!

I am a Colorado Band to Bypass too! Congrats on the approval. My band was with Dr Snyder at Swedish in Englewood and my unbanding/bypass surgery was done by Dr Snyder at Rose in Denver.

What are the biggest differences between band and bypass that you have found? I am interested to see how you compare the two.