Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Full Liquid Phase and HUNGRY!

i Started My Fill liquid Phase And Im Always So Hungry! Is This Normal? What Can I Do To Help? Also, Should I Only Be Drinking The 4 Oz An Hour Still Or Can I Drink As Much As I Want - Because The 4 Oz Are Not Doing Anything For Me!

p.s. By Milkshakes - Does That Mean Ice Cream Milkshakes?????

Hey there - hang in there as many of us were hungry too - it's just a matter of finding good liquids that you like/may fill you up more. Call your doc's office for better instructions cuz this is most imp to not eat anything you aren't suppossed to - the first three weeks are really for healing and keeping that band stiched in place so don't cheat!

i had to do Clear Liquids for one week then i could have some more types of liquids for the rest of the three weeks - no milkshakes for me though as those are too thick -

i had v8 juice (used to hate it), thinned Tomato Soup, sugar free hot cocoa, full strength juices (yum), ramen noodle broth, myoplex lite Protein Shakes, Iwas instructed to not really worry about calories just healing so you can be pretty creative.

good luck - this will pass soon.

I found (and many others say) that the best way to deal with hunger at this phase is to drink things with a lot of Protein. If you have Protein supplements mix them into what you are drinking. Or go to the health food store and get protein shakes. A lot of them are really not too bad. They really make a difference with the hunger.

I also agree with mary to call your doctor's office. They will have suggestions for you on what to eat and also help motivate you to follow the rules. It is important right at this time to let yourself heal.

This phase passes quickly.

thanks - any suggesttions on good protien mixes/suppliments?

I've been using the Atkins ones, they are not bad. I like vanilla and chocolate. I don't like the strawberry. They have 15 grams of Protein and are 170 cals.

Walmart has a similar brand called something "Edge." People have said it's pretty good. I have not tried it.

For Protein powders I've been using the "Unjury" brand. I order them on line. A lot of people like that brand. They taste pretty good. One scoop is about 20 grams of protein. (A scoop is pretty big, actually, about 1/3 cup. So, it's a lot of powder). You mix the vanilla or chocolate with milk or Water or whatever you want. You mix the unflavored with Soup, etc.)

Here is one I've heard people talk about (see below). I ordered some on line a few days ago. They are about $3.50 each on line instead of the $4.50 they talk about here (they cost $4.50 when you buy at the health food store). 40 grams of protein in one drink is really packing a punch. And you really need that, especially now. Here is from a recent post:

"i am 4 days post op...my friend found the best protein ever! it is called Isopure and it comes in glass bottles...tons of flavors...i've liked all of the flavors except passion fruit...they are about $4.50 a bottle...each bottle is sugar free no carbs and has 40 grams of protein and they are very easy to drink and very good."

There are a lot of other opinions on Protein Drinks and supplements. If you want more info try running a search on the forum. You'll see there are also a lot of other choices.

If you are one week post op, on a liquid diet, and hungry, the it's time to hit the protein!!

When I was on full liquids, I became a very familar face at smoothie King! If is went through a straw, I drank it. I added Peanut Butter to most of my shakes and it helped fill me up. There are quite a few calories in Peanut Butter but I felt like I in the healing stage and I would make up for it later.

I also bought large jars of Tomato basil Soup from La Madeline. It is a very dense soup and would fill me up to the brim. It was nice to have something hot instead of the shakes. It felt more like a meal. Hang in there!