Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

List of Band to Bypass Patients

I felt like that for a few months' date=' too. Maybe it's because we got used to the feeling of the band and now our signals are different. Idk. I'm also a slow loser compared to others it seems but I seem to be losing better now than I did when I was figuring everything out. I'm four months put and have lost 50 lbs so I'm not setting any records but its fifty lbs gone so I can't complain. Good luck to you. Hang in there and keep your eye on the prize.[/quote']

You give e hope :)

HW 312, pre-op (lap-band) 294, pre-op (RNY) 255, surgery date 2/11/13, goal weight 154, current weight 225

Hi- i had by band in '04.... At 244 never lost more 40 pounds. Always chokes always puked. Got to point that i felt like i was drowning each night...i was too scared to sleep sometimes. Finally went to talk to my band surgeon to ask what options i had. He just said " what do u want from me.. I gave u what you wanted, to eatless why are complaining!" .... Ahhhh . I went straight away to the internet to look for my options. I was lucky to find that a top surgeon from Houston had returned home to Israel. It took me 4 months to get all the paper work sorted out. I had (at 282 pounds) the revision op plus gallbladder removal in the same op. i found the recovery good, not too hard . Now i feel , seven months out, great. 105 pounds down, fitter than i have ever been. The band was like a mediEVIL torture device!! It should be banned!! I feel like going back to the band surgeons waiting room and telling them of their options!!

Hi- i had by band in '04.... At 244 never lost more 40 pounds. Always chokes always puked. Got to point that i felt like i was drowning each night...i was too scared to sleep sometimes. Finally went to talk to my band surgeon to ask what options i had. He just said " what do u want from me.. I gave u what you wanted' date=' to eatless why are complaining!" .... Ahhhh . I went straight away to the internet to look for my options. I was lucky to find that a top surgeon from Houston had returned home to Israel. It took me 4 months to get all the paper work sorted out. I had (at 282 pounds) the revision op plus gallbladder removal in the same op. i found the recovery good, not too hard . Now i feel , seven months out, great. 105 pounds down, fitter than i have ever been. The band was like a mediEVIL torture device!! It should be banned!! I feel like going back to the band surgeons waiting room and telling them of their options!![/quote']

Glad to hear your doing so great! I would def let your old dr know how u feel and what a jerk he is!

I have had my band 4/4/2008. I have been on one wild band ride! I have lost weight, vomitted, had reflux, gained all the weight back....just 5 year of trying to reach that all ellusive sweet spot. My RNY surgery is scheduled for 5/15/2013. So excited, scared, and hopeful!

You sound like me that my hand was placed in 2007. I'm so happy with the rny. Good luck to you!

I pray this works for me! If not I am just going to have to accept my size and move on.

I pray this works for me! If not I am just going to have to accept my size and move on.

We need to remember that we are not our weight. That said, I truly believe this will work for you.

We need to remember that we are not our weight. That said, I truly believe this will work for you.

Thanks momlabert!

Hi all! Another band-to-bypasser over here. Banded in 2003, never had enough restriction with it despite it being overfilled. RNY on 4/2/13, so far so good! I'm very excited at having another chance, and feel great about having the gold standard surgery this time around.

Reading all your post makes me feel more positive in the decision to have RNY. My band has slipped, I blame myself, even though I have never had a problem. Just went to a new doctor and when he found out that all my fills had been blind he decided to do a barium swallow. Thank God. For over two years I have been complaining that I should feel something, should have stuck moments, just something and I didn't. Actually I didn't feel I had a band. So when the insurance approves the removal the band goes. He gave me an option whether I wanted the sleeve or the RNY. I asked which would he recommend and he came back RNY. I trusted my last doctor, who left the practice ten months after doing my surgery, so didn't know if I should trust this doctor's decision. So thanks for the post. I might add the only good thing from the band, even though it slipped, is I'm still maintaining all the weight I lost the first year and in fact lost 4 pounds the last two months. Think I am doing better with a slipped band then I did with it in place. But it does have to come out before it erodes the stomach.

Reading all your post makes me feel more positive in the decision to have RNY. My band has slipped' date=' I blame myself, even though I have never had a problem. Just went to a new doctor and when he found out that all my fills had been blind he decided to do a barium swallow. Thank God. For over two years I have been complaining that I should feel something, should have stuck moments, just something and I didn't. Actually I didn't feel I had a band. So when the insurance approves the removal the band goes. He gave me an option whether I wanted the sleeve or the RNY. I asked which would he recommend and he came back RNY. I trusted my last doctor, who left the practice ten months after doing my surgery, so didn't know if I should trust this doctor's decision. So thanks for the post. I might add the only good thing from the band, even though it slipped, is I'm still maintaining all the weight I lost the first year and in fact lost 4 pounds the last two months. Think I am doing better with a slipped band then I did with it in place. But it does have to come out before it erodes the stomach.[/quote']

Good luck its a hard decision to make.glad they found what was wrong im 4 days post op and in pain but so glad the band is gone!

In January 2009, in Georgetown, Ky I had the Lap-Band surgery performed by Dr John Oldham. In about the first 4 months post-op I lost about 35-45 lbs. I never lost anymore than that because they never could get my band to "the sweet spot' where I would maintain restriction. I had several fills between April 2009 and June 2010 with no real consistent restriction maintained. When I say consistent I mean: for about a week after the fill I would have restriction but it would quickly loosen over the following weeks and I would have to go back for another fill. The doctors office insisted I just needed to exercise more and eat smaller portions. But since I never had restriction; I was hungry all the time. I was working my but off with no results! A major momentum breaker! When I left Georgetown, KY the bariatric center there said I should have 9cc in my band and that they, "wouldn't put any more in the band because they didn't want to rupture the band and I should have major restrictions." In July 2010 we moved to Indiana. I started seeing Dr. Clark in Greenwood, In on 5/2011. In the first meeting the doctor extracted the Fluid from my band. He could only get 3cc out of the band and it was cloudy and "very serous". Because there was missing Fluid and what they did find was serous; they send me for an endoscope to make sure there was no erosion happening. So another week out and I had the scope. All was fine. No ulcers, no erosion and the band was in a "good position" on the stomach. So still no answers. Dr. Clark done three more fills over the next four months. All of which resulted in missing fluid. We then decided the band was leaking. All of this was draining on me. Not to mention we had just adopted our daughter (Sept 2010) and I was a new mommy with a lot of stuff on my plate..no pun intended. I gave up on the weight loss and focused on my new beautiful baby girl.

Needless to say, I gained all my weight back plus some. In October 2012, I found Dr. Diaz at St Vincent Bariatric Center of Excellence. Best find ever! I met with him a couple times to review my history and for them to do some fills and see that the band was definitely was leaking. Then on December 12, 2012 we had a 'coming to Jesus' conversation and we decided that I was a great candidate for bariatric revision surgery and chose to move forward with the Roux en Y procedure. Due to some scheduling conflicts, change of insurance and a little fear on my part; I wasn't able to get my Psych eval done at the same time as the revision class. So in Feb 2013, I had my revision class and in April 2013 I had my Psych eval. All my paperwork was submitted to the new insurance company on April 12, 2013. On April 22, 2013, I was contacted by Dr. Diaz's office that the insurance company had approved my surgery and that I should hear from someone in 2 weeks to schedule my surgery, pre-op tests and one last class. So, I'm guessing that I'll be having surgery somewhere around the end of June or early July. So now, I wait, anxiously!

In January 2009' date=' in Georgetown, Ky I had the Lap-Band surgery performed by Dr John Oldham. In about the first 4 months post-op I lost about 35-45 lbs. I never lost anymore than that because they never could get my band to "the sweet spot' where I would maintain restriction. I had several fills between April 2009 and June 2010 with no real consistent restriction maintained. When I say consistent I mean: for about a week after the fill I would have restriction but it would quickly loosen over the following weeks and I would have to go back for another fill. The doctors office insisted I just needed to exercise more and eat smaller portions. But since I never had restriction; I was hungry all the time. I was working my but off with no results! A major momentum breaker! When I left Georgetown, KY the bariatric center there said I should have 9cc in my band and that they, "wouldn't put any more in the band because they didn't want to rupture the band and I should have major restrictions." In July 2010 we moved to Indiana. I started seeing Dr. Clark in Greenwood, In on 5/2011. In the first meeting the doctor extracted the Fluid from my band. He could only get 3cc out of the band and it was cloudy and "very serous". Because there was missing Fluid and what they did find was serous; they send me for an endoscope to make sure there was no erosion happening. So another week out and I had the scope. All was fine. No ulcers, no erosion and the band was in a "good position" on the stomach. So still no answers. Dr. Clark done three more fills over the next four months. All of which resulted in missing fluid. We then decided the band was leaking. All of this was draining on me. Not to mention we had just adopted our daughter (Sept 2010) and I was a new mommy with a lot of stuff on my plate..no pun intended. I gave up on the weight loss and focused on my new beautiful baby girl.

Needless to say, I gained all my weight back plus some. In October 2012, I found Dr. Diaz at St Vincent Bariatric Center of Excellence. Best find ever! I met with him a couple times to review my history and for them to do some fills and see that the band was definitely was leaking. Then on December 12, 2012 we had a 'coming to Jesus' conversation and we decided that I was a great candidate for bariatric revision surgery and chose to move forward with the Roux en Y procedure. Due to some scheduling conflicts, change of insurance and a little fear on my part; I wasn't able to get my Psych eval done at the same time as the revision class. So in Feb 2013, I had my revision class and in April 2013 I had my Psych eval. All my paperwork was submitted to the new insurance company on April 12, 2013. On April 22, 2013, I was contacted by Dr. Diaz's office that the insurance company had approved my surgery and that I should hear from someone in 2 weeks to schedule my surgery, pre-op tests and one last class. So, I'm guessing that I'll be having surgery somewhere around the end of June or early July. So now, I wait, anxiously![/quote']

Good luck to you and thanks for sharing your story :)

Good luck to you and thanks for sharing your story :)

Thanks Pebulz! How are you feeling since surgery?

Thanks Pebulz! How are you feeling since surgery?

Im feeling better everyday yesterday i got new pain meds that are working much better for me so that makes a huge difference im doing more on my own then i was and feeling like their is light at the end of the tunnel lol (Sunday i felt like it was never gonna get better and the pain was gonna kill me lol) today is 1 week and im down according to my scale 7lbs :)