Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Metformin/Glucophage for weight loss

I was put on Metfomin approximately 2 weeks ago for weight loss by my Surgeons P.A. She also put me on a liquid diet and told me to exercise at least 45 minutes daily. I had lost 5.5 lbs as of last week, and think the Metformin is the reason.

I was struggling to get to my goal weight to have my surgery, so this is what she suggested. I believe it's working because the first week I was on it I cheated like crazy and still lost over five lbs. now I've been really motivated, because she told me if I lose another five lbs my surgery can be scheduled. So I'm sticking to the liquid diet and exercising. I feel great.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is on Metformin and what they think of it. I heard a lot of people say you only lose weight on it because you get diarrhea but I've had zero side effects. So I'm just curious if anyone else had success or not with it. I am going to try to weigh myself tomorrow at my regular doctors office, to see where I'm at but I don't know if their scale differs from my surgeons and I won't be weighed there until March 6th. I'm so excited to get scheduled!

I wasn't put on any meds but was put on a liquid diet to help with losing weight so I could get on the schedule. I had to quit smoking and it was horrible!! I gained atleast 20lbs. I had to lose that plus half of the 5% the surgeon wanted me to lose before I could be scheduled. I went for a weight check today and to my surprise I made it! I am now scheduled for April 8th!! I know what your going through, hang in there!! Hoping you get a date soon!!

I have had success with metformin lost 43 pounds I found out I was a diabetic my doctor also put me on a diet I lose that much weight in 3 months with No diarrhea..

Ive never heard of Metformin being used as a weight loss device, Im an RN. It is typically used to reduce blood sugar in diabetics. I would consider it to be somewhat risky in causing low blood sugar. However I could be wrong.

I too was put on glucophage which is designed to be used in PreDiabetic patients and when I researched it there was NO evidence whatsoever to suggest it assisted with weight loss so I stopped taking it. I had little faith in my surgeon (who has incidentally only this week been found guilty of negligence in causing the death of a lap band patient 9 days post op for not only failing to review her when she was sick, but then failing to treat her properly).

Be interesting to see how it works for you!

i had been on metformin for year as a diebetic medicine and loose stools was def an issue with me but also managed to get to my highest weight of 301 on it along with 5 other medications had RNY on 8/22/12 and am now down to 164 lbs and on no medications anylonger since 2 weeks postop good luck work hard and you will get to where you need to be

The P.A. I see for weight loss at my surgeons office, said that it is used for weight loss also. It's suppose to aide in weight loss, and the only side effects that are common with it are diarrhea and stomach aches. No low blood sugar. I know I lost 5.5 lbs last week and I'm at my lowest wt right now since I've started this. I do think the Metformin helped that because I was not sticking to the liquid diet and still lost that much weight.

I've done Internet searches on it also, and mostly people said they thought they lost the weight because of the diarrhea they experienced. I have not experienced any though. I am not pre diabetic either. Not that I'm aware of. Lol. I'm bringing my daughter to her dr today and ill see if I can weigh myself and see where I'm at this week. Hopefully I'm still losing! I have cheated this week also but not as bad as last week. I've also stepped up my exercise to 45 minutes 4-5 days a week. Which consists of riding a stationary bike.

I've been on metohormin for 12 yrs - it does work but not for everyone... I lost weight quickly when I was initially diagnosed with t2 diabetes. For me the dihherea comes when I ate high fat high sugar foods - I haven't had an episode in a long time nor have I found metphormin a diet aid. I have friends who have seen some success though.

My surgeon sometimes puts people on victosa but that has never helped me with loss but has been wonderful in maintaining or lowering my sugars

I've been on metohormin for 12 yrs - it does work but not for everyone... I lost weight quickly when I was initially diagnosed with t2 diabetes. For me the dihherea comes when I ate high fat high sugar foods - I haven't had an episode in a long time nor have I found metphormin a diet aid. I have friends who have seen some success though.

My surgeon sometimes puts people on victosa but that has never helped me with loss but has been wonderful in maintaining or lowering my sugars

Good to know! Thanks!

I'm on Metformin now but only because my last few fasting labs have had my blood sugar at the high end of normal. Prediabetic/ insulin resistant can be a side effect of hypothyroidism, which I have also. So we thought to give it a try. I know it's caused me some stomach issues and diarrhea but honestly since I had my gallbladder taken out I have had those issues anyway. I haven't noticed a weight loss per se, but I have noticed that I am loosing inches since I started taking this. Which would make sense, seeing that with insulin resistance and hypothyroidism it can make you gain belly fat. So since they upped the thyroid meds and put me on metformin, my hormones are working better so hopefully that continues to translate into less belly fat.