Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on Thursday and cried yesterday

I was banded February 5th....I had the same exact feelings almost like an anxiety attack...I paced the floor holding on to my tummy, thinking OMG, what have I just done. Fellings of a foreign object implanted in me definately gave me the willies. Today is my sixth day being banded and it seems the feelings are fading...but I definately can understand the mental aspect of what you were experiencing. I hope all goes well for you.

Hi guys.

I am feeling much better today. Those strange emotions are coming and going and getting less and less. It was so hard dealing with those emotions at first, and crying. I cried again yesterday too. Last night I was still thinking I might ask the doctor for it out. I know, crazy. Today I am feeling better though, actually starting to feel like I am losing weight. Starting to not feel too emotional.

So judyaz, do you feel your soreness still or would you say you can do pretty much anything before surgery now. How about you fireflye1? Can you lay on that side where the port is?

Oh, firefly, do you have a distended belly? Mine seems bloated still. I think it is swollen, but not sure.

I have had anethesia several times...always get depressed after...lasts for about 3 days for me. As far as looking at the total amount you have to lose...try little goals first. I started out saying oh my gosh I have a 145 lbs to lose...now I say only 55 lbs to lose...sounds better.

Also, go out and buy a pair of jeans 2 or 3 sizes smaller than you wear...make them a goal...personally I waited too long to try mine on and they were too big...lol...gave them to a friend and bought smaller ones!!!!

Hang in there soon you will know this is the best thing you have ever done for yourself!!!

You know what, it's totally normal. I felt the same way. I was in pain, starving and unable to sleep. But mentally I was mourning the loss of my friend, food. I was always a healthy eater but a over eater. I sat there at dinner time watching my husband eat steak while I ate this tiny amount of cottage cheese. I was sad because I felt like I'd never be able to eat a large portion again, like even if I had a slice of pizza I was afraid I'd be pissed it's all I could have. Then I took a step back and asked myself how I got fat? Well, it was my large portions that got me fat and feeling miserable and ashamed of my body. So I told myself that eventually I'd get steak and pizza, just a little steak and a little pizza. And you know what, I'm already starting to accept that quantity isn't always better than quality and I'm only 12 days post op. I think the liquid stage and mushy stage makes us all wonder.. what the hell did I do? But I'm starting to eat chicken and even had a few chips the other day and was satisfied. Believe me, it does get better. It's just hard to let go of food when it's been a crutch to so many of us for so long. It's almost like kicking a drug habit except worse because food is our drug and we have to have it to survive so we have to co-exist with it.

Hi All.

I was banded on Feb 8th. Thought this would be a moment of excitement. I can say the surgery went pretty good. Aside from pain on my said and a little back pain (maybe from the gas, not sure) I am doing okay. Using my spirometer to practice breathing. Last night when I got home from the hospital I started crying. I wanted it out of me. I don't know what came over me. I starting feeling like..what the heck did I just do? Did I really try hard enough doing it on my own? I started feeling this overwhelming feeling of being freaked out something is wrapped around my stomach right now. My husband tried to console me. Said I did a good thing and to remember how long I had worked to get to this point. It didn't help. I just want to know if anyone else had these feelings. I feel so alone in these thoughts. Everyone on here seems so excited. I can feel the soreness on the side, will I ever feel like my own self again? I mean will I ever not be aware of feeling it there? I think what I feel is just soreness from the port. I don't think it is from the band because when I drink it doesn't feel different. After a while, will I feel my old self again? I keep rambling. It is 6:25am and I am up. I just can't believe I feel like calling my doctor and having him take it out. I don't know what is wrong with me right now. To top it off, I have gained like 5 lbs. Nurse said it is all the IV fluids.

:D :cry

I was banded on Feb 13,2007. The same thing happened to me. My husband kept talking to me to, but now 5 days post opt i am feeling alot better. I think its all the meds you get in the hospital.

I know exactly how you feel. I felt the exact same way. I still can't sleep directly on my port and yes, I am now to the point that I don't always feel it in my stomach. I have thought several times that I wanted it to be taken out but then a new day starts again I feel better. It will get better, just give it time. Soon you will be giving your band a name and joking about it the way we all do here. I really hope you feel better soon.

I, too, had a sense of regret after I got my band. It was so weird to think it was actually inside me. Now, almost a month later I feel so happy it's there, just waiting for a fill to help me start my weight loss journey. It's my little friend.

Although I didn't cry after being banded, I cried and cried hysterically after I had my baby. It was supposed to be such a happy day, and I was a mess!! Nothing I did would stop the crying. The nurses told me it was the hormones plus my body had been though so much and I was physically so tired, that's what happens. Surgery is kind of the same thing, and anthesia doesn't help matters either.

In a few weeks, you will feel better than you did before the surgery! Healed up and lighter!

I mourned for a few days that I would never be able to gorge myself and feel "happy" again and damn I want this piece of plastic out. But I am trusting in the idea that I will find other things to make me happy. I cleaned up my garage this weekend. Made a pantry out there so that when the twins arrive we'll have a place for large bundles of pampers. Time heals most wounds. Emotional and Physical.

Plus, I know, when I get to eat steak again, it won't be chop steak on a roll with cheese, but a savory filet mignon with green Beans on the side. (Yeah, I'm hungry right now)

Anyway, what had me upset the most was that my alcoholic parents didn't call and still haven't called to find out how I'm doing. 10 days post op. Not a word. Screw'em. They were a major contributing factor to my weight issues. Now I got babies on the way. Due in July. I'm already working to be a better parent.

At first I thought that, too. I was thinking, "You are young." "You haven't even finished growing." Although I was worried, after I started to lose the weight, become more healthy and see the great accomplishments I have made, it all went away. I am over a year. Sometimes I pretend I didn't have it done. I don't know if that is because I am ashamed that I needed this to make me lose weight or if I have just come to realize that it is part of me just like my spleen or my heart. My band is my friend and companion. I cherish it and hope I never need it out. But sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be normal again. I don't know what I tried to accomplish in writing this.

Anyways, I had those feelings, too. Don't worry. You made the right decission.