Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

Laura, glad everything was okay! Are you still feeling the pain?

I'm nine days out and I am still having some gas pain in my shoulder. When I saw my doctor yesterday he told me some people go as long as three weeks with the gas pain in the shoulder.:omg: I hope this is not the case for me... I'm still walking every opportunity I get, heating pad, gas x. Yesterday was particulary bad. I had massive cramps because I started my period and then the pain in my shoulder. BUT despite all of that I have not regretted this decision once! I'm down another three pounds. Yay me!

Hi, finally feeling well enough to post, but I don't think the pain is coming from the band. I do have some discomfort on my left side where the port is, not bad though. I am having to wear a I can't think of the name right now, but a very constrictive white thing on my abdomen. The hernia that they fixed had many feet of my intestines out and to the side, so when she put it back in and did the repairs a large hole was left, so to try to keep Fluid from building up she put this binder on. It takes two people to get it on and I am not one of them. I have to find a better way so I can go back home!! I am so blessed that I have two wonderful and capable parents to take care of me. I feel bad that they are in their 70's, and this probably was not on the 'parent' list of responsibilities, but feel very blessed.

Still have not had a bowel movement since Monday, taking Miralax 2x's a day for that problem.....

As far as food goes there is very little I can't eat. Never felt any kind of restriction at all. I had Pasta last night and even though I had read horror stories I was okay with it. I can't eat fresh vegetables or fruit, but basically I am very very very suprised at how unrestricted I am. I am able to take pills and everything. I am sure that after my first fill or so I will be singing a different story, they did say they put in the biggest band, so maybe since they did the hernia repair they don't want to limit me so much??

Oh well I have talked way tooo much!

Tracy you have been a great supporter in starting this thread, I hope you feel all the love and support you have given others come back at you!!!

Jane

I'm nine days out and I am still having some gas pain in my shoulder. When I saw my doctor yesterday he told me some people go as long as three weeks with the gas pain in the shoulder.:omg: I hope this is not the case for me... I'm still walking every opportunity I get, heating pad, gas x. Yesterday was particulary bad. BUT despite all of that I have not regretted this decision once! I'm down another three pounds. Yay me!

Congrats on another 3lbs! :clap2: I am down 12 in 6 days and I'm so excited.

Anyway, from reading my other post you might see I had horrible shoulder pain as well. Yesterday was my worst day - so I talked to my mom and she suggested maybe a muscle thing from being strapped down and being moved. So for giggles, I took her advice of ice and not heat and start the tylnol again. Amazing I felt better by last night- had a spell this am but not nearly as bad packed it and took another tylnol and I'm good to go..Today is my best day ever.

I hope that helps - I don't know if it was gas or muscle - and honestly I didn"t care as long as it went away.

Hi Everyone,

New to this site. I'm being banded on 4/25/07 I am very excited and very scared. I can't wait to wake up from surgury and see my loving husband and know that everything went well. I am not so scared of the pain so much as i am of everything going well and the procedure being successful. I am very excited to start living a healty life style.

mscags

welcome - and I think we all went through the excited and scared. My hospital was so fantastic and helped me relax. Plus I got to joke with My Dr because he was ahead of schedule. I was a wreck before that so much my temp was 100.5 and once they calmed me down it went to 97.6 which is my normal. Funny what nerves can do to you.

Anyway, my point, you will be fine! It is a great thing - i'm actually taking a break from light yard work 1 week out

Hi Everyone,

New to this site. I'm being banded on 4/25/07 I am very excited and very scared. I can't wait to wake up from surgury and see my loving husband and know that everything went well. I am not so scared of the pain so much as i am of everything going well and the procedure being successful. I am very excited to start living a healty life style.

Welcome!!! You've found a great place to meet new people who will support and encourage you. I'm almost two weeks out from being banded and just want to reinforce the fact that you will be just fine.

Judy

Laura, glad everything was okay! Are you still feeling the pain?

I'm nine days out and I am still having some gas pain in my shoulder. When I saw my doctor yesterday he told me some people go as long as three weeks with the gas pain in the shoulder.:omg: I hope this is not the case for me... I'm still walking every opportunity I get, heating pad, gas x. Yesterday was particulary bad. I had massive cramps because I started my period and then the pain in my shoulder. BUT despite all of that I have not regretted this decision once! I'm down another three pounds. Yay me!

I'm still having major gas pains too! I never thought it would take 11 days for this crazy gas to go away! Congratultions on your weight loss!

GR8, thanks so much for your help with the Ticker. I think I did it right, except the last thing ya do it edit signature, I could not find where.

I got all of it, and right back to Edit Signature, then pasted it where it should go, and then nothing? What am I doin wrong, jeeeeeeeeez, this should be so easy!!!!

I keep feeling this pulling on my left side. and I read on the net that a man's port came undone. When he bent over to pick up something in the shower. Is it really this easy, to be unstitched?

I'm not an April bandster but I went through something similar a few weeks after being banded in February. Every so often I'd bend over or twist and get this intense pain, almost like a ripping sensation where my port was. If it helps at all it did settle down and my port is still well and truly stitched in place. I'm sure everything is fine. If you're really worried call your surgeon!

Hi all,

Yes, a beautiful Sunday in sunny Colorado. I am six days out, starting on mushies and delighted with my weight loss. I do have these twinges and pulling sensations too. I think the ice pack really helps with this. I am able to hydrate enough, but wasn't at first. It is a weird feeling to get this golfball feeling in your throat because you gulped Water too quickly. I have tried to take it slow and easy. I am motivating to go for a walk. I have been able to sleep on my side or stomach without problem. My port is centerally located. I am looking for high Protein low sugar mushie ideas if any of you have them. I tried some refried Beans yesterday at a Mexican restaurant and was surprised how good they tasted and digested.

Best wishes to you all!

I have known people to go through a lot just a few days after banding, and not dislodge the port. I would guess it is inflamation on the inside, like the muscle it is stitched into being outraged at the intrusion! BUT----as I state, that is just a guess. I would call and ask how much pain at the port site is considered normal, and what to do for it. You paid the Dr. to treat you, calling to ask him a question about your health and welfare following a major surgery is not too much to ask of him. Does taking something like liquid Tylenol help at all? I wouldn't take anything stronger until I talked to the Dr. you don't want to mask a pain he should know about.

I had a friend and her husband fly to MX for banding surgery several months before I went. He got air sick coming home, and heaved for over 4 hours! Then as he exited the plane, he got dizzy, and slipped and fell down the last 4 steps! We live in a small area, we still at the local airport, exit out the stairs! He called his Dr. immediately, who told him to sip very slowly some gatorade, and Water. He slept, and settled down, and recovered fine, although he had some impressive bruising! He did worry for awhile he had pulled his port loose, he said it hurt everytime he twisted or moved at the waist. His surgeon assured him it would be fine, and even in the worst case scenario, it would not hurt anything if it had, it could be revised as an outpatient, but it would not hurt the band itself. He is a big guy like 6'7" and he has lost in the neighborhood of 150 pounds now! He was very lucky at the heavier weight not to break anything when he fell!

I would take it easy, try seeing if either hot (heating pad) or ice packs, would ease it any. Make as many observations as you can to share with your Dr. if you find it necessary to call.

Keep us posted on how you feel! Good Luck!

Kat

Well, survived another day of avoiding the neighborhood cookout. It was hard but I can start mushie food next Friday, so that should help greatly.

I am starting to feel hungry so that is good only 5 more days of liquids. I cut back on the broth and changed to milk & Protein and Water. Since my thrush is being treated I have been able to drink water, which is good since I was out in the hot sun today.

Anyway, what a great feeling, and as my neighbor put it, soon it will be all worth it and I'll be the hottie on the block.

OH on an even happier note, I put on a pr of shorts today I have not had on in 2 years, they were big and I was able to cuff them up - which I was never able to do. Something must be working!

Good luck to everyone tomorrow!