Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

Bandme & GR8... if you happen to read this.... please please please tell us in more detail about your surgery experiences!

I really am interest in PAIN- like, immediately following, the next day, etc. How would you describe it?

I arrived at the hospital at 7am - they put me in a private little room that shared a bathroom with the room on the other side of it.

I was asked to put on a gown - with the opening in the back-do not tie closed. Also white compression stockings that were extremely tight - that went up to the knee, no toes. And they had slipper socks with grippie bottom for me to put on over that.

The nurse - came in - signed consent forms, then stated that she would be giving me a shot in the tummy to prevent blood clots. (it didn't hurt - felt like a sting). Took my vitals, then she inserted my IV - (that needle hurt going in and stung until I went into surgery.) She took a tube of blood out through it to do another comparison of my preop to confirm my blood type incase blood would be needed. (My doctor told me he has never needed blood.)

Then they started the IV bag of fluids with antibotic's and such.

The Anestigiologist visited as well as the doctor - who made sure that my DH or I didn't have any last minute questions and stated they were right on time. He just finished one and they were preping the room.

They wheeled me into surgery room -- had me scoot to the operation table and put the mask on and I went to sleep.< /p>

I woke up to someone saying my name - she took my vitals - and they brought my DH in for about 20 minutes (he immediately put chap stick on my lips - they were dry and cracked. I asked for ice chips - my mouth was like cotton candy - sticky. -- They sent me to xray. They made you scoot onto their table -- OMG that hurt. Took xray - and then an upper GI -where you sip this BAD tasting stuff and they watch it go down. I was taking small sips scared to death. I ended up taking so much it was making me sick - and extremely full. So we had to slow down the test. (It was suppose to take an hour - it took 1 1/2 hours.)

I just couldn't scoot back to the bed due to the pain - so they had the xray table motor up so I was standing. Then I sat on the edge of the bed and placed my legs up and rode back to my room.

They took vitals again -- gave me my instructions and perscription. I got a big glass of ice chips to go home with and My DH helped me get dressed and they wheel chaired me out of the hospital.

I was extremely sore -- feeling the bumps in the road especially.

I got home at 3:15pm- placed a folded blanket on recliner to add height and laid back. I could not get up without my DH pulling me out of it.

My DH took the vicadin's - broken them in half - then cut them in half each (quartered). I took one quarter at 10pm and slept in the chair -- woke up at 3am - felt great. hardly any pain - able to get out of the chair on my own. Walked around, took a few sips of water- went back to sleep till 6:30am. this time I woke up SORE. Still able to get up on my own - able to bend and pick-up the paper off the ground - but sore.

Stairs don't hurt as bad as I thought they would.

I can't lay down and get up on my own yet. -- But doing small things around the house - trying to walk every hour for a little bit.

I need to cough -- but that HURTS. Hope that helps.

I really am interest in PAIN- like, immediately following, the next day, etc. How would you describe it?

Ok, I'll give it a try.

Immediately post op...they woke me up from the anesthesia...and I'm quite sure there are no pain meds in my system since they are trying to wake me up....and when I was in that fog my first thought was that it was hard to breathe and there was a pretty darn intense seering pain in my belly. Once they saw that I was awake they put oxygen on me and shot me up with morphine and I was OUT in lala land. So that pain only lasted maybe a minute...tops.

I was VERY groggy for several hours. I had anesthesia, phenergan and morphine....so you can imagine. But the nurse and my DH would wake me up often to drink, eat Jello, take BP, try the bathroom, etc. So during this time I think I rated the pain at a 5 or 6. I didn't have any trouble sitting up or walking around, but I was really sore and the incisions hurt....but I was comfortable enough to sleep easily. They gave me another shot of morphine before sending me home.

Once home I slept well but had to get up several times to use the restroom and drink water...and to take pain meds every 4 hours. They did fine to control the pain to a tolerable level. It just feels like you've done a 200 situps and more of a burning type pain at the port site and another site on my lower left side, under the ribs. It hurt to lay on my left side.

The next day I started dealing with the shoulder pain that everybody talks about and it can be pretty intense too....so much so that it drowns out any concern about your belly! It is definitely a concentrated stabbing pain in the front of my left shoulder ...BUT... it rarely lasted at that intense level for more than 15 mintes at a time. It came and went with no apparent pattern. It was a nuisance but not intolerable at other times.

Since then it's been the incision pain that has been most bothersome. Again, not intolerable at all, just getting kind of tired of it at this point (6 days). I was on pain meds for 3 days, then took a shot last night too. I will probably take another one before bed tonight.

Overall, I'd describe an average pain level of about a 4. So see? It's not bad!! And, for whatever it's worth, this was my first surgery. I have given birth twice ...the first birth was far worse than this surgery, let me tell you! 9#5oz boy and I pushed for 4 hours. The after=affects of that birth was about an 8 for several days.

For me, the hunger totally subsided by day 3 or 4. I am on day 11 and I am doing very well: almost no hunger and the pounds are dropping off quickly. I have 6 more days, and I am confident that I can do it. You can, too!

One thing I noticed was that if I "eat" like even just a little bit, then I am suddenly ravenously hungry and miserable. I already posted my trials of Easter weekend!!!! I felt horrible. Next day, back on program, and I felt so much better.

Also, I would suggest trying different types of Protein Drinks. And, I read on this thread that someone started using Chromium Picolate (sp?) - from the Vitamin aisle- like ChromMax and I started it today and I swear I can tell a difference in appetite and energy!!!!!

Water has been helpful- with Crytal Light. I never before understood why people like the stuff, but now I am totally on board with it.

Can you try that Soy milk to combat the runs?

Hey I am with you. I will be banded on April 16 too. I have not tried anyother protien drinks. The ones I am using from the doctor are ok, it is just hard.

Phil

I am wondering about my sleep apnea, the Dr. said to bring my c-pap with me, it is soo big and ugly on, that I hate anyone to see me with it on. I don't care if they are in the medical proffession.

I guess what my main question is, is do they make you wear it when you are in lala land, or just when you sleep at night.

I live by myself, and NO ONE ever sees me with that on!!! I guess I am more worried about that than anything...

Jane

Schexymomma -

Honestly - it will truly go smoother than you are thinking it will now. I was calm until the pre-op appt. I didn't go crazy with "the last foods" the day before surgery. But I did treat myself - not crazily but definitely treated myself = Breakfast I had a Bruegger's bagel with a diet coke, lunch I had Wendy's chicken salad sandwich with Water, dinner my husband, kids and close friends all went out to Carrabus for dinner. I had a filet mignon steak and mashed potatoes. Then after the kids went to bed, my husband went to get ice cream sundaes. yum! It was delicious!

You had a last real meal the day before surgery? Is that allowed?

Phil

I am wondering about my sleep apnea, the Dr. said to bring my c-pap with me, it is soo big and ugly on, that I hate anyone to see me with it on. I don't care if they are in the medical proffession.

I guess what my main question is, is do they make you wear it when you are in lala land, or just when you sleep at night.

I live by myself, and NO ONE ever sees me with that on!!! I guess I am more worried about that than anything...

Jane

Jane

I use one too and I take it everywhere when I travel. I won't even take a nap without it! My sleep is so sweet with it. :notagree Go for the restful sleep. You'll need it to recover.

I never leave home without it.

I didn't go crazy with "the last foods" the day before surgery. But I did treat myself ...yum! It was delicious!

Bandedme... were you on a liquid pre-op diet? I am. I have been thinking about a "last meal", although, I must admit, I already did this before I started liquid diet. Plus I am worried that my Doc. would find out during surgery because he's gonna see the stomache and intestines!!!!!!!!

THANKS BANDED, GR8, and TERRIDOODLE for the details. I feel a little better now.

I liked reading everyone's responses, and thought I would add my 2cents.

It really depends if you stay the night or not in the hospital. I too was very freaked out, and about 3-4 days before, once everything was ready and in place, I told myself...just surrender, let it go, and just know that DP will drive me there and the rest is in everyone else's hands. I wanted to write LB on my tummy so no one removed an organ by mistake, or did the RNY surgery by mistake. I made sure to confirm w/ the nurse and the doctor that I was an LB patient. Here is my story!

*I had a foley catheter (in bladder) in all day and night, so when I walked, I had to drag that w/ the IV thingy. I was sooo freaked about that, but they put it in after your sleeping and I didn't feel anything, even when they take it out. It was nice not to have to get up all the time to pee.

*I got the MAGIC BUTTON as they call it in the hospital all through the night. I was on something stronger than morphine (I think that is what she said). And every 6 min, I could press the button. I held onto it all night, didn't need to press it much, but it was there.

*The pain is bad, but not to most people. My first post here I said something to the effect "if I'd known about the pain, I might have reconsidered". Now 7 days later I change that. It is managable...use the pain meds if you need to. Someone posted about Vicodin, but I would ask for the liquid Loritab, easier to swallow, not bad tasting, and less constipating.

*Lastly, you can do this. I've never had surgery, never been in the hospital, never had children, and require extra novacain at the dentist...basically a HUGE BABY. If I did it, you can too.

*Take your time w/ recovery. I slept in the recliner for 2 nights because i needed to walk every few hours and didn't want to wake DP. I've exercised the last 2 days (5 miles each day on bike at gym) and feel great.

YOU CAN DO IT...IT WILL BE OVER BEFORE YOU KNOW IT...WE ARE ALL THERE W/ YOU...YOU DESERVE IT...YOU DESERVE TO BE HEALTHY AND HAPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Tommow is the big day and I'm nervous! I don't post often, but read everything that you guys post, I love it! You all have been so encouraging and so helpful. Don't know what I would have done without this forum! Thank you all again for your concern for everyone! Just wish that it was Saturday and all this would be over with....

Good luck bubbles!!!

Mazie- We don't have the cobb salad :lol::( :rofl: We just have ham/chicken/steak chef salad.