Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

What a great idea! listing all of us who are having surgery this month. Wow, my nerves are having a party, and I am automatically invited. Just one correction in the list it says "squale ( Dave)" for whatever it's worth it's "squale (Pat)"

Good luck to all, we are a wonderful support for each other and joining this board is the best decision I have ever made.

Pat

Welcome Gina!

Misty - I always weigh myself in the am unclothed and when I go to any appts, I try to make them in the am and I always wear the same thing and always take my shoes off! LOL

sometimes I get a little nuts and do a mid afternoon weigh in fully dressed and get horribly depressed. LOL

Have a good night all! One more day down!

What a great idea! listing all of us who are having surgery this month. Wow, my nerves are having a party, and I am automatically invited. Just one correction in the list it says "squale ( Dave)" for whatever it's worth it's "squale (Pat)"

Good luck to all, we are a wonderful support for each other and joining this board is the best decision I have ever made.

Pat

Dave - Only kidding :bolt: (I am kind of silly tonight)

Pat - this is a great support - Until the morning of surgery I think my nerve party is over - total meltdown last week. LOL

My friend was banded last week and I think I was feeding off her emotions because Monday before I was freaking about if I would wake up and what if this and that, but once I saw she was fine, so was I.

I weigh in the morning, stark naked, after I go potty, before I even drink one ounce of Fluid, or even brush my teeth, after I clip my toenails, pluck my eyebrows, trim my bangs and exfoliate thoroughly!!!!!!!!

My goal of 150 is based on the last time I weighed 155 and was *almost* happy with my weight. I'd be happier at 145. 140 I'd be freakin' ecstatic.

Hi Jenn,

How is your friend doing? What kind of post op discomfort were they in?

Nerves are a funny thing, Huh?

Pat

Hi everyone,

I will be in the hospital one night. What should I bring? Should I bring PJ's, books, etc...all that crap or will I sleep all day from the drugs? I know I have to walk, can I wear sweats? I don't want to wear a nightgown. Just woke up and had these thoughts...of course I just woke up and popped on here, lol.

Welcome to all the April bandsters just joining our family!

In my Pre-Op education class they gave us this list:

DON'T FORGET your CHAPSTICK -- our lips will be dry from the surgery!

Also maybe consider:

*Robe, Socks, Slippers, Pj's, gown, or extra big t-shirt (my favorite)

*Personal toiletries (Toothbrush/paste, make-up, lotions, etc.)

*Personal comfort items (music, pillow, quilt, etc.)

You will do great!!

Those are all good ideas of things to take to the hospital with you---keep in mind if you are flying to pack light! You will have to lug the suitcase home, post surgery---not any fun!!!

Have to tell you guys, on another forum, they had a thread devoted to us "scale whores" no offense intended!!! It was what they called us that had rituals to weigh in each day. Mine was similar to Terri's!!! But hey girl---don't forget to blow your nose first!!! It is such an addiction, that scale!!! I finally got rid of mine, well avoided it for 2 weeks---just to see if I could. I did it, but prefer the comfort, and accountability it gives me. I do weigh each morning, nekkid as the day I was born!!!

Kat

When do they usually do the testing? I am having my surgery in 3 weeks and have no calls. Should I be worried or am I just jumping the gun? What about other people having their surgery on April 17th or around there have you heard? When I saw my Dr. I said is this it til the 17th and she said yes....

Jane

being banded 4-17 in St. Louis

When do they usually do the testing? I am having my surgery in 3 weeks and have no calls. Should I be worried or am I just jumping the gun? What about other people having their surgery on April 17th or around there have you heard? When I saw my Dr. I said is this it til the 17th and she said yes....

Jane

Well Jane, if you have questions CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!! As I mentioned before I'm at DePaul and am coing to pre-op class on Friday. That's when they will do an EKG, chest x-ray and blood work. I will be given my pre and post-op instructions.

If after you talk to your dr. let me know if you want a copy of what my instructions are. Perhaps your dr.'s office is just a little slow.

I'll b e band April 13th

Jane

I am not having any major pre-op testing either. I'm thinking it may have to do with your current weight, relative health, and whether you are using insurance or self-pay. I'm "low" BMI, in good health otherwise (except for joint pain, suspected apnea & lipids) and I am self-pay. I think my doc knows what he's doing....he's done thousands of these surgeries, so I'm not concerned. And I'm darn glad I don't have to self-pay for all those tests!!!

Good Morning all

I did my pre op testing last week, ekg, chest xray, ultrasound on legs and gall bladder. My dr. said he does this stuff the week before but since the week before I am going to be gone they did it when I was on Vac last week.

Well, I was a scale whore myself, but last summer my friends beat me up and made me only get on every few days so I'm reformed now. LOL

Pat-

I was in the hopsital the day she had surgery and looked great but she is having some pain and discomfort and yesterday had a meltdown about liquid diet. lilnena74 i think is her name here and she posted in the March Banders group.

Thank you, Panda, for the wonderful idea! Wow -- are you a romantic or what?? Thanks so much again for the help! :bolt:

Panda- zCongrats on you loss!!!!! Hey- would you mind sharing your pre-op diet? I would very much like to try this before I have to start my liquid pre-op diet. I need a boost!

-Schexy

I'll give you the diet up until the 2nd night before surgery (surgery is monday, so up until Saturday night for me - that's when I start clear liquids)

This is also the last 2 steps of my post op diet, so I'm going to type it EXACTLY like it is on my sheet::

PHASE 3: (Day 9-Day 15) After Surgery (SOFT FOODS):

1. Avoid full fluids except Meal Replacements (Unjury, diet low carb slim fast, etc).

2. Baked NOT fried fish, pork, chicken, or turkey (no skin) and in small pieces

3. Lean ground beef finely crushed

4. Dried Beans, peas, and lentils -- well cooked.

5. Canned or well-cooked vegetables.

6. Low carb (30 grams per day is the maximum allowable carbs). NO bread, pastas, potatoes or rice.

7. Cottage cheese and non-processed cheese.

8. Scrambled/boiled eggs NOT fried

9. salad, Egg salad, chicken salad, tuna salad or turkey salad (mixed well). Low calorie mixes.

10. Separate solids from liquids 10 minutes prior to and 30 minutes after mealtime

PHASE 4: (Day 16 onward) After Surgery Lets Try Some Real Food:

1. You may try an solid foods -- Protein (fish, meat, poultry), vegetables/salads.

2. Eat your protein first, then vegetables/salads, then other (e.g. fruit).

3. Stay low carb (sugars and starches). 30 grams per day is the maximum allowable carbs.

4. Avoid full fluids except MEAL REPLACEMENTS (Unjury, diet low carb slim fast, ect).

5. Plan 3 meals a day. Remember it's ok to skip a meal, but NO snacking.

6. Cut your food up fine and chew well. Eat slowly. Avoid what doesn't agree with you.

7. No liquids 10 minutes prior to and 30 minutes after mealtime. May have diet carbonated drinks.< /p>

8. Continue to drink 3/4 to 1 gallon of sugar free clear fluids each day.

9. AVOID potatoes, rice, Pasta, bread products, popcorn, fried foods, processed meats, sweets, chips. When in doubt leave it out.

10. Don't forget to exercise at least 10-15+ minutes EVERY DAY.

I know a lot of that overlaps, but, that's exactly how the last 2 phases of our diet (which is our pre-op diet) is specified to us. It worked for me. but it was H-A-R-D for the first week and a half to 2 weeks. But after that, it's been pretty easy to adjust to. I've been drinking low carb/high Protein Shakes for Breakfast EVERY DAY..and i think that's helped a lot.

I hope this helps you guys!!

I can't believe i'm down to 6 days!!!:clap2:

I weigh in the morning, stark naked, after I go potty, before I even drink one ounce of Fluid, or even brush my teeth, after I clip my toenails, pluck my eyebrows, trim my bangs and exfoliate thoroughly!!!!!!!!

What she said! :bolt: