Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bypass Post Op Concerns

I had surgery on December 20th. Right out of surgery I was able to eat, digest and process large portions of food. I've never gotten sick and rarely feel full. I was eating soft foods in a week and completely pain free. Granted I did Reiki before surgery and healing energy was being sent to me every day after, but all the doctors can say is that the fluids go down easier for some than others and to stay the course. However, the nutritionist said my situation is very unique and they are in uncharted waters with me. I haven't lost any weight in a week! I fear that I went through this surgery for nothing. I still have 150 pounds that I need to lose. Has anyone else ever heard of this happening to someone they know right out of surgery? My guess is that the pouch wasn't made small enough. How else can you explain "business as usual" when it comes to eating this soon out of surgery?

I habent heard of that..the ppint of the surgery is to eat smaller which in return will make you lose weight. I am not too sure about your case. Have you talked to your surgeon??

I had surgery 12/17 and I felt like I could eat more than I was supposed to sometimes. Well yesterday, that all came to an end. All of a sudden I can't fit what I could in the past week or I'll get sick! Weird, but I have to go much slower than just a few days ago. Hopefully this will happen to you too! :)

You also have to remember that all of your fluids will pass right through. Even though you are on soft foods, try to only eat the recommended portion size 1/4 - 1/2 cup. Eat slower, the foods will also pass quickly. Don't drink when you eat and drink your Water in-between. While I think it's great that you are able to nourish and stay hydrated, I hope you realize that your limitations must also come from within. I was always told this is a tool. There is still some work that has to be done on our part. Continued success in your journey. You are still early out from surgery, so take it easy! Don't forget those vitamins!

Thanks everyone. I'm trying to cut my portions back to see if that helps. I see the doctor on Jan 9th so I'll talk to him then. On average how much should I be losing a day? One of my friends that had the surgery said she lost 1-2 pounds a day. I haven't lost any weight in a week.

The weight loss is an average of 1-2 lbs. a day but again that is not always the norm, there are so many factors that play into it. Just like the "watched pot never boils." I think that holds true for weight loss (whether through surgery or not) and seems to only revolve around what the scale tells us Measurements will change, clothes will feel different, movement will change, shoes become bigger, there is so much more to notice, enjoy it all! We all want to see the weight come off but you have also done an amazing thing to your health, too.....celebrate!

until your about 3-4 weeks out the nerves in your stomach are not working yet so you will not get the feelings of fullness. this is why it is so important for us to time and

measure. you can hurt yourself by not following the rules. This is just a tool and if you are eating and drinking like the surgery never happened then yes you will not lose weight. but most likely it is Water weight. just make sure your drinking 64 ounces of fluids and getting as close to 80-90 grams of Protein a day you can and remember to walk at least 30 minutes a day

Thanks again for the feedback. I have a lot of work to do on my end. All the best to each of you! :)