Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New To The Group

Hello I am new to the group had rny 2yrs 10 months ago total weight loss of 231lbs. I have had a lot of complication and my life has changed 150% so I am now in rebuilding mode and hoping there are others that would like to talk

Welcome to the group.... i am almost 6 months post op and yes life is really changing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using RNYTalk

welcome glad you found us and hope you will share more of your journey with us. You will find a wealth of support here. again Welcome

Welcome.... you found a great surpport group here at RNY Talk

It is wonderful to hear :). I had my surgery almost 3 yrs ago. I will tell you now I wish I had known then what I do now :) ... My surgeon was a good surgeon however was a lousy doctor. I woke after a flawless surgery allergic to soy. Every supplement they gave me all meds were soy based :P ... needless to say it was a rough time. When I had been vomiting nonstop for 2.5 months and had been in the hospital for 2 months with fluids running open into my body, not Vitamin bags plain saline. The surgeon had run so much Fluid through my body that I was beginning to show extreme effects of vitamin deficiencies as vitamin B is Water soluble. The one that finally caused a halt was Pellagra. I had so much vitamin B run through my body I was now niacin depleted. Normal level for a woman is 700-900 my level was 40. So I had begun dying from vitamin deficiency. It happens that the effects of pellagra in the end stages are delusional thinking :P … so the wonderful surgeon through IV ran an antipsychotic through my poor body called Seroquel. This horrid decisions lead to two heart attacks and a stroke. I was in a coma for 5.5 months. I woke up after a concerned family member had sent a nutritionist into see me. Thanks be to God this woman had worked in a 3rd world country and had spent years tending those that were suffering from the effects of pellagra she told the psychiatrist that she believed I had pellagra and he was interested because when he had spoken to the two Psychiatrists and the psychologist I was required to see for a year prior to surgery that I had not had a nervous breakdown. She saw the horrid rash over 98% of my body and had heard me telling everyone I was 16 and wanted my mother. She told the psychiatrist I was suffering from pellagra and he asked what the testing was and sure enough that very afternoon all the IV lines were pulled and I was put on a lead tube and had niacinamide run into my body and then the nutritionist came in and sat with me daily. She brought me these funny cracker things that were niacin tablets however to a silly dizzy headed nearly dead woman they were Snacks with a friend. I am still not fully recovered however I am alive and I am working hard at putting back together my life. I have also been diagnosed with pernicious anemia. Vitamin b-12 deficiency because one thing the RNY does is upset the digestive system. So my body can no longer make intrinsic factor. So I can no longer digest b-12 from food... I get shots every few weeks so I am able to live. I never understood Vitamins before the surgery. After the surgery J I certainly do understand vitamins and exactly what they do in your body.

I wont lie, my jaw was to the floor reading your story. I am so sorry this happened to you! Thank God you are here! Many blessings for a safe and happy future!

Dear God I'm so glad your made it. Hugs!!!

You are truly a survivor. Thank God you are still alive. I pray I pray I pray that you are doing better and that you will continue and get your health back. Thank you so much for sharing your story. There is such a lesson there. I am so sorry you have went through all that. The fact that you have is a miracle. Just know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and here anytime you need someone to listen to you, we all are.

You are truly blessed to be alive

Thank god for the nutritionist

I hope you continue to fully recover and god bless you

He already has

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

I do truly feel blessed :) I have had so many wonderful days and so many amazing experiences since this happened. I have had chances in my life to make amends and do the right things not only for myself however also for my children so i am showing them the correct way to handle eating and being healthy :).... One thing i can tell you :) Waking in the morning is now to me a blessing. I view this as one of life's greatest blessings. I wake each morning thanking God for the fact I am awake. So every day is a wonderful chance for a new experience in my life.