Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Biggest Misconception About Surgery?

I did not expect to have these God awful.mood swings.

New Life Started 07/24/12

I thought he surgery would be easy. Little pain and a quick recovery. I ended up being I the hospital for a 6 days and had a horrible time. Also, I have been having panic attacks which I have never had before. But....it is getting better every day! I went to the doctor today had my staples and drain removed which made me feel much better. I think my biggest mistake was listening to friends I know who have also had rny. I was thinking because it was easy for them it would be for me too. Each person is different and our bodies all react differently.

I agree cw. I thought I would be bouncing with energy!! However, I'm just at 5 months and I don't have any. I'm just able to walk 1 mile - my journey has been very different.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Just wondering if any post-opers worried about things preop that ended up being no big deal.....or the other way around?

Death of course because surgery always have that risk, but thank The Lord all went well. Did not expect the extreme Constipation I suffered with for 2wks, glad that's over :)

SD: 10/10/12, Converted from Lapband to RNY, HW (before band) 263, HW (RNY) 230, Preop 219, after surgery 223, current 204

I never expected to have to do this in my life! This was a last resort for me...and I'm sadly disappointed. I'm never ever hungry and if not eating didn't make me feel so crappy, I'd skip food all together. Never thought I'd literally HATE eating. When I do eat I can consume so little that there is no room at all for tasty veggies, only Protein. When I do eat, nothing feels right in my pouch and all I want to do is vomit. It's been 3 months and I've only lost 22 lbs..this I could have and did many many times without RNY and when I could eat veggies. Sorry to be a Debbie-downer but I think prospective RNY people need to see all the angles. I never took the time to read any feedback from anywhere prior to my decision to have this surgery and I so wish I had. I'm seeing my doctor on the 29th of November. I'm certain there is nothing wrong, just like everything else...It's just not for me and I'm destined to be 200 lbs for the rest of my life.

I never expected to have to do this in my life! This was a last resort for me...and I'm sadly disappointed. I'm never ever hungry and if not eating didn't make me feel so crappy' date=' I'd skip food all together. Never thought I'd literally HATE eating. When I do eat I can consume so little that there is no room at all for tasty veggies, only Protein. When I do eat, nothing feels right in my pouch and all I want to do is vomit. It's been 3 months and I've only lost 22 lbs..this I could have and did many many times without RNY and when I could eat veggies. Sorry to be a Debbie-downer but I think prospective RNY people need to see all the angles. I never took the time to read any feedback from anywhere prior to my decision to have this surgery and I so wish I had. I'm seeing my doctor on the 29th of November. I'm certain there is nothing wrong, just like everything else...It's just not for me and I'm destined to be 200 lbs for the rest of my life.[/quote']

Calm down, I'm sure it will get better. Talk to your doc on Friday and see what he thinks is going on. So your getting in your Protein and Vitamins?

I'm sorry you didn't like my post, I don't think I need to "calm down" though, I don't feel excited at all..just defeated.

I'm getting in all my Protein, fluids, and Vitamins.

I don't smoke or drink (though at times i sure wish i did) have no weird intake of something that would cause me to not loose weight.

I don't wish this on anyone. And ya know what? I can bet that you aren't 3 months post op with a loss of only 22lbs...

I'm sorry you didn't like my post' date=' I don't think I need to "calm down" though, I don't feel excited at all..just defeated.

I don't smoke or drink (though at times i sure wish i did) have no weird intake of something that would cause me to not loose weight.

I don't wish this on anyone. And ya know what? I can bet that you aren't 3 months post op with a loss of only 22lbs...[/quote']

Oh it's not that I didn't like your post, I just was trying to encourage you. I also feel that people should see both sides, like you said. I just feel bad that its going so bad for you, and I was just hoping that it will get better for you after you talk to your doc. I would be disappointed as well, just don't want to see this go down hill for anyone. Sorry

I thought it would take me over 1 year to get to almost my goal weight.

I thought the gas would go away after a couple of week post-op. HAH!! Need I say more? I could start my own band with the numerous sounds escaping my body and going on in my stomach LOL

Plus I also expected to have major stomach issues and complications but I have yet to have any' date=' although a few of my friends have both had serious complications but doing fine now.

I did not expect to be as dedicated as I have been, I was afraid I would fail and stop going to the gym. I have had a few breaks due to illness but overall I am still committed.

I thought I would lose faster but once I accepted that it goes more slowly than I thought I am happy with my results and can't believe I am down as far as I am already.[/quote']

Lmbo your so funny

I thought I would be sick and not tolerate food. I thought I would mourn food. I thought it would not work for me, like every other diet. I thought my relationships would change. BUT! I feel great. I'm sticking to the plan. I like what I'm eating. I'm losing nice and steady. My relationships are only improving as my confidence grows. I have yet to master the exercise piece. I do more now than before, and am working on it daily. This is truly life changing and I feel so blessed. Praise God!

Kerri-Ann. Thanks for your post. I wish you good luck. I have this horrible feeling your journey will be mine. So I am glad you posted the other side. It's very real!

Have you had your thyroid tested? I have a friend that hers shut down after surgery. Just something to ask your dr. Prayers. :-).

I'm sorry you didn't like my post' date=' I don't think I need to "calm down" though, I don't feel excited at all..just defeated.

I don't wish this on anyone. And ya know what? I can bet that you aren't 3 months post op with a loss of only 22lbs...[/quote']

Hello Kerrie-Ann,

I honestly know what you are going through. I've been at the same weight for almost 2 months with no real weight loss. I started bAck writing down my food. Don't keep doing the same thing if it isn't working. Try changing your food.

I went back to just shakes and liquids and finally broke my stall. I notice by writing my food down that baked potatoes and hard boiled eggs does not move the scale for me. However, if I eat 1/2 of a filet mignon - my weight loss continues.

Other things to consider...

What's was your starting weight? Did you have any other medical problems? Are you on any other medications? Have you started a exercise program?

I hope this helps...and thanks for venting and sharing your story.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I did not expect to have these God awful.mood swings.

New Life Started 07/24/12

The mood swings come from estrogen. Quite common. Estrogen is stored in fat and as you burn fat the estrogen is released. You are actually quite fertile at this time as well...hang in there. I cried over everything the first 4 months. I had a plethora of different emotions inside of me!

Hello Kerrie-Ann' date='

I honestly know what you are going through. I've been at the same weight for almost 2 months with no real weight loss. I started bAck writing down my food. Don't keep doing the same thing if it isn't working. Try changing your food.< /p>

I went back to just shakes and liquids and finally broke my stall. I notice by writing my food down that baked potatoes and hard boiled eggs does not move the scale for me. However, if I eat 1/2 of a filet mignon - my weight loss continues.

Other things to consider...

What's was your starting weight? Did you have any other medical problems? Are you on any other medications? Have you started a exercise program?

I hope this helps...and thanks for venting and sharing your story.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk[/quote']

Ok, so my starting weight was 228.

I have zero medical problems and I'm not taking any meds. My exercise program includes a 2 mile daily walk.

Having said this and after reading your post I'm going to try and mix things up a little. I read over my food journal and I am totally guilty of eating the very same thing over and over. Changing up my food options is definitely something to consider. I did at one time use shakes but they totally give me the runs and I ended up home bound and that just doesn't work for me, I'm very active and have two very active boys who are into a ton of extra curricular stuff. Being strapped to my bathroom wasn't working for me. So, I stopped the shakes; they were Adkins, the only other brand I tried was EAS and they had the same effect. Soooo not sure how to figure out that problem. I did however order the powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Soup flavor that's added to warm liquid. It's tasty and I get 20 g's of Protein from just one serving, which I get one in a day.

So I guess at this point I'm going to just try and change up a few things and see if the stupid scale budges...including my exercise regime, try the elliptical instead of or in addition to my daily walk.

Thanks Kiwiladydee, I appreciate your suggestions.