Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Heart Rate Monitors and cardio workout

I joined Lifetime Fitness just before the New Year; I received a free, no-obligation meeting with a Personal Trainer as part of my signup package. Surprise, surprise, they wanted me to purchase a heart rate monitor (HRM) and showed me all the cool things it would do, including recording my heartrate and uploading the data to their computer to track my progress. While I avoided any commitment, I was intrigued by what the HRM could do. I researched them online, talked with a co-worker who had bought one and decided to purchase one. I bought the Polar F11 from an eBay reseller. Long story short, I love it. I get constant heart-rate readout on the treadmill, stationary bike, ellipticals etc and I can tailor my program to maximize the percentage of fat in the total calories burned. I can exercise safely and still get the desired burn. I'm no spring chicken so I'm quite conscious of what my heart is doing. I upload my exercise seesions from the monitor to the internet and have a history of exercise times, heart rates and calories consumed. I also create my own workout program to fit my time available and my desired burn. With my new MP3 player all loaded with 70's, 80's and 90's favorites, and my HRM, I'm exercising 4-5x week. And all this from a guy who five months ago got winded walking to the mailbox.

Any of you other baby-boomers out there embarking on a exercise regime may want to consider investing in a HRM. The cost compares very favorably with the option of hiring a personal trainer. With your own HRM do, you will maximizing the time you dedicate to exercise. Also the website www.howtobefit.com was helpful.

I totally agree with you about the HRM. I have a Polar 625sx. I do a lot of outside stuff and it has a computer that attaches to my shoe to tell me how far and how fast I am going. It also has a computer that attaches to my bike to tell me how far, how fast and how many rpms I am doing. It is great. Plus of course it works inside when you want to watch your HR on the machines at the gym.

I also love downloading all of my information and tracking it on the computer. I am a gadget geek though, so this kind of thing is right up my alley.

You don't have to spend a ton of money on a HRM but it gives you instant feedback in terms of whether you are staying within your targeted HR range.

Like you, I find it really motivating Notsobigguy

I like information!

I dont generally use my HRM, I go by feel and near enough is good enough most of the time. I only have a basic Polar anyway, and I havent managed to work it out properly because it was my sisters and its all set up for her.

But it was invaluable in increasing my distances with my running - when I wanted to enter the 10k. I wore it for several sessions and practiced running slow enough to keep my heart rate in the 130's - an intensity I know I can keep up for an hour or two. By doing that I was able to pace myself properly to complete the distance.

But distances, time, stride etc, I want one of those Garmin GPS things!

Jachut,

I know a ton of people who have the Garmin and love it. I think that thing will actually map out your route on the computer using the GPS.

I will say my one complaint about the Polar is that it isn't exactly the easiest thing in the world to program.

Just recently I have started slowing down to keep my HR lower and I am amazed at how much better I feel when I work out. Jachut, I am trying to get up into your distances on the running this year and I know I wouldn't be able to the way I had been training.

Jachut: if you're considering the Garmin Forerunner 301, you might want to google "Polar vs Garmin Forerunner"; some of the reviews I've seen rate the Polar a lot better.

I was glad to see this thread- I am waiting for my newly purchased one to come from an ebay seller. I hope I can figure out how to get the most out of it but if I have problems, will come back here and ask the experts!

I think the problem with the Garmin comes when people run under trees or where the satellite can't find the GPS unit. The Polar uses different technology. But I do know quite a few runners/bikers who use the Garmin too.

Bill,

I, too, have the F11 from Polar and LOVE it. I love being able to completely customize my exercising and when I'm not pushing myself hard enough I get the little heart w/ an up arrow .. "yelling" at me .. :nervous