Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hospital Stay And Anxiety Issues

Hi there I'm having surgery oct 1st my doc said I would have to stay in the hospital for 2-3 days. I have never stayed overnight in a hospital before except in the pediatric psych ward when I was 10 and again at 13. I have high functioning autism and anxiety should I/how do I communicate this to the staff at the hospital? My surgon never rembers and his PA doesn't believe me. my mom feels that the nurses don't need to know and I feel they should. I'm afraid I'll have a meltdown (me crying and being only minimally communicative) and freak them out. I'm 25 and I don't look or sound like I have autism. I can pass for normal because I'm highly verbal and can make eye contact. but when I become stressed my eye contact diminishes and I ramble I also sometimes speak really fast. Sorry if this is in the wrong place or doesn't make sense. Liz

You need to tell them. Or at least just the charge nurse. This way if you need medication they know how it will interact with the meds from surgery.

Communication is key!

Surgery 7/25/12

I was going to tell them about my personal pharmacy I know they need to know what I'm taking also I need to take some of them while in the hospital

Yes I would tell them. They need to know do they can take the best possible care of you.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

If it helps the hospital stay isn't bad at all. They come by to check on you, take your blood pressure, make sure you get up to walk etc. Everyone here, as far as I know had to stay in the hospital at least 1 day most 2-3. I stayed 2 nights and was released around noon time the 3rd day.

It's always best for the nurses and doctors to know any issues or concerns you have. They can help you better that way.

I just get anxious over new environments and dealing with strangers/meeting new people I don't think the hospital staff will be anything but nice but if I start crying talking to me makes me worse it's an overstimulation/anxiety thing I'm not a very confident or assertive person unless I'm in an environment where I know the social "rules" I'm always afraid I'm bothering or annoying someone

Being very upfront to those caring for you is very important. They will glad to know and glad to help. Also if someone you trust, like your Mom, or good friend can stay with you that might help. Get this set up before hand

and have some idea of how you will communicate to your "person" that things are overwhelming you. There is no

reason for you to have to deal alone with this or be more anxious then necessary. So don't be afraid to talk to

people about your situation and have an advocate for yourself. Just your being aware that there might be triggers and thinking ahead will help you a great deal. Sending you positive thoughts.

Sending thoughts & prayers your way for a peace of mind now & during your wls journey!

Can your insurance provider help? Maybe they can set you up with a hospital liaison that you can meet with before the surgery and will be able to stay with you most of the time in the hospital like they do for special needs people getting jobs. If you already have anxiety over this, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I would tell them just in case you need or want something. As for the hospital stay bring things to keep you busy, and walk. Good luck!!

I had an abdominal ultrasound (I was having stomach pain the doc just wanted to make sure it was just gas and it was) and it reminded me of how differently I process touch the whole thing was extremely painful because of the pressure. I like gerenalized pressure like when you get a dental X-ray and they put the led apron on your chest that feels calming and comforting but targeted pressure like in a massage or this ultrasound I find extremely painful I would rather wipe out on my bicycle and get all scraped up (yes I am 25 but I don't drive) than have a massage

I typically don't present as disabled "enough" for services I don't qualify for job placement/assistance

Empress,

So good to have you here!! Will you have a support person with you at the hospital? In my hospital, we have a bariatric team and I strongly encourage that you communicate your needs with them. Your support person can do the same thing.

The only support person I have is my mom she hates hospitals and doctors because she is chronically ill she doesn't believe telling the nurses will make any diference I have no clue if there is a separate bariactric ward or just a regular part of the hospital frankly the inefficiency of my surgeons office does not inspire confidence in the patient relations in the rest of the hospital

Don't get me wrong the surgon is skilled in the slicing and dicing dept but bad with patients and the 3 other major players(the physician assistant, the insurance/hospital cordanator, and the patient liaison) have little turf wars that severely impact the running of the office and patient service

If you don't like your hospital...might it be worth looking elsewhere? My team is wonderful, and I have complete faith in them. Do you have a friend or sibling that could stay with you? That support really helps a lot.