Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RNYTalk Newsletter 09/05/2012

RNYTalk Newsletter

By
Hey, RNYTalk members!

Summer vacation’s almost over, and for most of us, it flew by! If you have children, they’re probably getting ready to go back to school or even back in school already. As you keep working toward your own weight loss goals, don’t forget to include your children in your healthy lifestyle! Have fun being a great role model as you teach them a few healthy habits like loving their fruits and vegetables and staying active! With the business of the late summer, this newsletter aims to keep you on track. Here’s what’s coming up.

• Member Spotlight: Meet Panda!

• Bypass Challenge: It’s Time for a RNYTalk.com Mixer!

• Are You Ready for Labor Day? Do’s and Don’t’s for the Barbecue Party

• Reminder – Keeping Track of the Latest Weight Loss Surgery News

Let’s get going with the newsletter! Whether you’re reading it on your laptop, desktop, iPhone, kindle or Android, we hope you love this newsletter. Let us know what you think about it or anything else related to RNYTalk.com. I love hearing from our members and value your suggestions! Thanks as always!

Sincerely,

Alex Brecher

Founder

sleep apnea. She’s even been able to treat her depression by exercising daily!

Panda says that her biggest problem has been her own self-doubt. She still sometimes wonders whether she can continue to exercise daily, make the right food choices and continue with her self-discipline. She says that RNYTalk.com has been “my happy place as well as my support system.” She comes to RNYTalk.com daily. She gets motivated by others’ successes, and learns lessons from others’ hard lessons.

Panda’s advice to others is to believe in yourself. This highly religious woman believes that all things are possible through God. She herself is grateful to her surgeon and her current path. Thanks, Panda, for sharing your story and being in our shake things up a little. We know you each have your own routines when you visit the boards. You go to the same discussion sub-forums daily. Occasionally, you update your profile, blog or photo gallery.

Your challenge for this newsletter is to vary your habits just a little. You might try visiting and posting on a section of the board that you don’t usually visit. More experienced members might try going back to the “pre-surgery questions” board, or newer members might check out some of the groups. Another idea is to introduce yourself, using the private messaging system, to one or more members whose stories grab your attention or whom you want to get to know better. Now’s your chance!

Let us know how it goes in the Proteins, such as fat-free hot dogs, extra lean ground beef or turkey burger patties, shrimp skewers, salmon steaks and skinless chicken breast.

• Be a good guest. If you’re not sure that the host will be offering foods that are on your diet, bring your own. You can even bring enough to share – you’ll be surprised at how many people will be grateful for your healthy option.

• Eat your veggies. Enjoy corn on the cob (without butter, of course), green salad and other cut vegetables. Just go easy on the dip and choose low-calorie Salad Dressing.< p>

• Watch your portions. As a weight loss surgery patient, you need to limit your portions even when you’re eating healthy foods. If you’re not careful, it’s all too easy to eat at a barbecue without realizing quite how much you’re eating.

• Have fun! Play volleyball, go swimming and run relay races with the kids. The more you move, the more you’ll lose and the better you’ll feel.

• Be sociable. You’re hanging out with your friends and family to enjoy their company…so enjoy their company instead of focusing so much on food.

• Don’t:

• Go for high-fat meats, such as T-bone steak or prime rib, full-fat ground beef patties, pork or beef sausages and turkey legs with the skin.

• Let the sauces, dressings and dips sabotage your diet. Choose low-calorie options, and avoid coleslaw, potato salad, egg salad and other dishes with Mayonnaise. Use onions and ketchup instead of cheese for toppings.

• Munch on chips, nuts and other high-calorie appetizers without even realizing it. They will barely fill you up and you can eat way too much. They can even make you feel sick later because of their fat.

• Drink your calories. Soda and beer are empty calories. Beer is worse because it reduces your ability to make good judgments. You might end up eating more than you intended if you drink beer at the barbecue.

• Endulge in ice cream sundaes. For dessert, have a spoonful or two of ice cream if you really want it. Otherwise, assess whether you are truly still hungry. If you are, have some watermelon.

• Hang out at the food table.

• Eat the leftovers while you watch television later.

These dos and don’ts are pretty easy to follow. With these tips, you can start planning your own end-of-summer parties without worrying that you won’t be able to stick to your diet. Have fun!

Reminder – Keeping Track of the Latest Weight Loss Surgery News

We know that many of our members like to know the most recent news and information on the gastric bypass procedure and weight loss surgery and obesity in general. That’s why we have the news forum. It gets updated daily with the latest news on weight loss, bariatric surgery and health. Check it out and discuss your own opinions in the News Forum!

That piece of information brings us to the end of this week’s newsletter. Thanks so much for reading it and for all of your participation on the forums! The Newsletter Forum has all of the old newsletters in case you missed one or want to talk about them.

Until the next time, take care of yourself and each other,

Alex

==============================================================

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, you may unsubscribe by going to your Control Panel and clicking on the Newsletters tab, or clicking on the following link: {unsubscribe}

I appreciate being in the member spotlight! Thank you so much....but I am now down 75 lbs. The article said 52 lbs. When I responded to the questions I was at 70 lbs....not complaining just real happy and proud of my accomplishments!!!! :)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using RNYTalk

And you should be very proud of that! Congratulations!! I enjoyed reading about you! :)

Thank you for your support! :D

Go Panda Go Panda. Great story. Congratulations.

Everyone here is so wonderful! Many thanks!