Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did You Come Home With Anything Attached?

I'm just starting my journey and have my first appt on the 5th but wanted to ask everyone that has had their surgery if you came home with anything attached to you. While reading a few post from the hospital forum where I will be having my surgery they talk about a GI tube and a drain still being in when they got home and not coming out till like 4 weeks. Also I read somewhere else that someone had the pain Med bubble thing (lol sorry don't remember what its called). I'm going to ask my dr at my appt but was interested in how many of you came home with something attached and how long till it was removed. Dr office told me 8-12 weeks from initial appt til surgery so I'm looking at end of Oct beginning of Nov so trying to get as much info as possible.

That's right around the corner! I did not come home with any tube or anything. I don't know what measures or determines that, but I didn't and neither did anyone I know of who has used the same surgeon.

All the luck!

I did not come home with anything attached. I did have a drain tube and cathater. The cath was taken out the morning I went home because I had to use the bathroom before leaving. And the drain tube came out right before I came home

My surgeon is old school and I had a NG tube, a JP drain and a catheter. I came home with the drain and had it removed 9 days post op.

I had a drain and catheter an drain in the hospital. They took out the catheter the following morning after surgery and took the drain out about an hour before I was discharged from the hospital.

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I had a drain while I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days. The doctor took the drain out after the 2nd day. I think it all depends on the doctor and his beliefs. You have a good question to ask your doctor and do not hesitate to your anything, you need to be very informed before you have this surgery...the more knowledge the better !!!!

I am so glad they took mine out. As a matter of fact I didn't even look at it while it was in and every time they came to drain I put something over my eyes

I am so glad they took mine out. As a matter of fact I didn't even look at it while it was in and every time they came to drain I put something over my eyes

LOL - that is too funny !! I hated having mine in... it just got in the way of everything. It hurt like hell when the dr. pulled it out !!

My surgeon is old school and I had a NG tube' date=' a JP drain and a catheter. I came home with the drain and had it removed 9 days post op.[/quote']

While in the hospital did you eat through the NG tube?

Thanks y'all, it just seems like to leave the hospital with anything makes you more susceptible to infection.

I left the hospital with an "open" surgical site. My surgeon said he stopped using the drains because of infection rates being high so he now leaves them "open". I have to pack gauze in it (its about 2 1/2 inches deep) twice a day. It "drains" as in the gauze "wicks" the Fluid out. It's not painful, only thing is I have to dress it which is odd since I have to poke gauze down in it. He said it will heal on its own and I should feel the progression by not being able to pack as much gauze in each day... he said 2-3 weeks to close...I am 2 1/2 weeks post op.....and I think it'll be a week or so longer, not closed up as much as I thought it would be by now.

I left the hospital with an "open" surgical site. My surgeon said he stopped using the drains because of infection rates being high so he now leaves them "open". I have to pack gauze in it (its about 2 1/2 inches deep) twice a day. It "drains" as in the gauze "wicks" the Fluid out. It's not painful' date=' only thing is I have to dress it which is odd since I have to poke gauze down in it. He said it will heal on its own and I should feel the progression by not being able to pack as much gauze in each day... he said 2-3 weeks to close...I am 2 1/2 weeks post op.....and I think it'll be a week or so longer, not closed up as much as I thought it would be by now.[/quote']

Wow how did you feel when you found out you would have to do that. I think I may have been freaked out. I'm not real put off by blood and stuff but I think it would be hard to do it on myself. How does it not hurt?

I'm just starting my journey and have my first appt on the 5th but wanted to ask everyone that has had their surgery if you came home with anything attached to you. While reading a few post from the hospital forum where I will be having my surgery they talk about a GI tube and a drain still being in when they got home and not coming out till like 4 weeks. Also I read somewhere else that someone had the pain Med bubble thing (lol sorry don't remember what its called). I'm going to ask my dr at my appt but was interested in how many of you came home with something attached and how long till it was removed. Dr office told me 8-12 weeks from initial appt til surgery so I'm looking at end of Oct beginning of Nov so trying to get as much info as possible.

I was sent home with a surgical drain for a week than it was taken out at my one week appointment

7*10*12

Wow how did you feel when you found out you would have to do that. I think I may have been freaked out. I'm not real put off by blood and stuff but I think it would be hard to do it on myself. How does it not hurt?

No, it doesnt hurt, maybe because its layers of fatty tissue? Not sure. My dr changed the dressing at my 1 week appointment and kept saying he was sorry for hurting me, but I never felt any pain! Only the pressure of him doing it. And it really doesnt bother me to change the dressings....its a little difficult cause it's me I am doing it to! LOL. I must have a high tolerance for pain... I havent had any pain medications since the night of surgery, and the nurse gave it to me then cause my blood pressure went up....so all she could say was "You must be hurting, I'm giving you some pain meds in your IV".

While in the hospital did you eat through the NG tube?

Let me clear something up, No they did not let ME eat until they did the upper gi to make sure I had no leaks, once results come in they took it out and begin ME on Clear liquids. Everyone's experience is different, this was soley my experience.