Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Being Tested For C. Diff. (Clostridium Difficile) Ugh!

Well, I've been having issues after my surgery. The first was the infection in the left incision site. That incision had to be opened back up and it's had to be packed daily since so it can heal from the inside out. At one point they thought I might be getting a second infection in the same site so being a weekend, I was perscribed hefty antibiotics. I ended up having to see my surgeon because the visiting nurse was concerned and it turned out it was healing great and my surgeon said I could stop the antibiotic if I wanted. I took it one more day then just couldn't take how it made me feel so stopped as she suggested. Well that was about 10 days ago. Since then I've had bathroom "issues" but, I figured it was the antibiotics the day it was bad and then after that figured it was my diet because I'm on the Protein only stage....no carbs, Fiber etc. I won't be on stage 5 which includes fruits, veggies and healthy carbs until next week. Anyway....I couldn't take it anymore. Today was bad and I felt I couldn't leave the house so I called her. She said it's either this C. diff or I've become lactose intolerant. I told her I thought about the lactose too so didn't have any and it still happened. She said the testing will show which it is.

The visiting nurse came today to pack my wound and they naturally ask questions on how I'm doing each day. I told her what was going on and explained what "it" looked like etc. She said it really does sound like C diff. So we shall see.

I read about this C. diff and it said some relief can come by eating starchy foods. I didn't have anything to eat today because I just wasn't up to it. I've made sure to keep hydrated. We have saltines in the house and the explanation said they were a good choice so I had about 6 saltines today so see if it helps a bit. Mashed potatoes didn't help when I had them yesterday or the day before. (sigh) I know after this all clears up I'll feel better and be grateful that I've done this...but for right now man oh man, I'm tired of visiting the restroom and feeling like a prisoner in my own home. :( I'm also hoping if it is C. diff we've caught it fast enough so that no other complications happen. I guess a few days will tell what's going on.

I just wanted to let folks know what's going on so that if you're going through any of this you'll know too. Thanks for listening/reading.

Oh no, hope your ok :-( what is c. Diff? Keep thinking about how it was before and tell yourself it's going to be better than that, hope your not like this for to much longer as I know it's awful and really hard to stay positive. I'm here if you need someone to chat to x x

I hope you get an answer quickly and get some relief. You have been through enough with this!!! But you are still losing weight at least :)

Fingers still crossed for you!

Hello #4, Well it happens from strong antibiotics or you can get it from someone else who has it. For me I was on heavy antibiotics so it wiped out my natural balance in my intestines/bowels. The worse part is I'm not contagious if I have it so I have to be extremely careful so no one else in my family gets it. Craziness! The antibiotic caused it and get this...what heals it is yet another antibiotic. It can cause bigger issues if it's left too long to fester so if I do have it, I'm sure hoping we caught it early enough to not cause colitis or other issues. I had to look this up because naturally the surgeon only mentioned it didn't explain it all. I'm sure she will once we know for sure. It's just not pleasant. It causes cramps or pain in the abdomin but, my period is now 8 weeks late as well so I thought at first that was part of it too. Hoping to hear soon.

I think I threw the woman off in the lab. She gave me the sample cup, toilet guard, baggie and told me to put the date and time I did the sample. Then bring it back to her and they'll test it. I think she thought I was going home. Heck...didn't take long to give the sample. TMI I know but, that's how sick I'm feeling with this right now. Yuck! Besides if they have to culture it for 3 days I didn't want to wait yet another day.

Thank you for your support. I appreciate it. I keep saying....this will all be worth it. It's for the best....as I squeeze my cheeks and pray to the porcelain Gods LOL

Yea I'm tired Jenneliza. OH and the visiting nurse will be by for the last time tomorrow. Insurance hasn't approved anymore visits. My husband will have to do the packing for me....oh boy LOL Thankfully it's not as deep now but, still uncomfy getting it done. This too shall pass :)

Wishing you a speedy recovery

I know how you feel when I have certain foods with the band within 10 mins it goes violently straight through me... TMI lol it's rubbish the pain you get when it's on it's way is awful and make me break into a sweat... Can't wait to get it out of me now and move on! Keep me posted and get some diacalm or co codamal 30/500 bung you up and great for the pain xxx

Kate :-)

Good grief. Hope all this passes soon and you are on the way to feeling better. I hope your husband is a good nurse. I dont think mine could do it!!

So sorry losingitforme !! Please get better soon !!!

Sorry gun feel better soon!

Surgiversary 07/24/12 Sent from my iPhone.

Thank you everyone. The test came back positive so I'm now on yet another antibiotic. Weird how an antibiotic caused it and now I have to take another one to fix it. Just have to be extra careful so no one else around me catches it. So looking forward to when this is over, just praying all these antibiotics don't cause yet another issue (My gal friends know what I mean LOL) Anywho...thanks for all the well wishes. This sure has been a ride but, I know I'll look back at it all and be thankful.

:)

Ask for your Diflucan pill now girl !! I always ask for a prescription with refills when I am on Antibiotics !!!

Good luck and get better !!

just so you know...hand sanitizer doesn't kill c-diff so make sure to use soap and water!! did they teach your husband how to do the packings? now that you are treating the c-diff your body can focus on healing your wound! things can only get better now!

Thanks jenneliza, Quite the strong bugger isn't it. My doc told me if I soil any clothing it should be washed in soap, Water and bleach. Hoping I don't soil too much because I have mostly dark clothing and that and bleach won't go well. I bought some clorox wipes so I can wipe down the bathroom often. I'll have to mix some bleach and water in a spray bottle too. I told the guys not to go into my bathroom but, they can be thick heads. I can only do so much. I've always been careful with hygiene, Thank God but, it sure makes me nervous that it's spreadable. :( We cancelled a cookout my husband planned for his friends this weekend. I told him I didn't think it was smart to have people over. Besides the fact that these antibiotics are making my stomach and intestines more uncomfortable right now. Hopefully that gets better too...if not my surgeon gave me her cell phone number so I could call her over the weekend if need be. I thought that was nice of her.