Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! Allow me to introduce myself! My name is Michelle. I am a 33-year old single mom of a 2 1/2-year old who I had made a promise to when I was pregnant that by the time she was 3 I would be healthy and no longer embarrassed to wear shorts, tank tops, and maybe even a swimsuit out in public. So far, I've accomplished the first two!! The first time I put on a tank top and walked into the Walgreens in my town, I was sooooo excited and proud!

I am currently 15 1/2 weeks post-op and down 68 pounds! I haven't been at this weight for over 10 years! It's been amazing as well as trying. Luckily the issues I've run into are probably just because it's only been a few months since my surgery and my "pouch" (I hate that word--I say tiny tummy) is still adjusting. I have a few more obstacles than the average person who had the roux-en-y surgery in that I have some "mental illnesses" (hate those words too!), I'm a vegetarian, and I'm an extreeeemely picky eater (and since the surgery, that has just gotten worse--suddenly foods taste different--and not in a good way! In one sense that's good, but in the sense that I need lots of Protein and I'm not getting enough, it's not.).

My main hurdle, however, has been keeping foods down. My doc thinks it's just because my medications have possible side effects of nausea and vomiting and/or that my tiny tummy is still adjusting. But, I wondered if it could have anything to do with the enormous amount of drainage I've been having probably due to allergies, because when my food comes up, lots of (sorry) mucus comes with it. Anyone else have this problem?? This is why I am excited to join this support group. To get answers, to get to know other people in my position, to share my experiences, to hopefully help other people, and to inquire on what is yet to come.

Welcome to family!! Sounds like you have allot to be proud of! You have done really great so far! I guess the basic questions come to mind, are you taking 30+ minutes to eat your 1/2 cup? Are you making sure that your not drinking liquids for 30 minutes before and after eatting?

Those are some big questions but I am sure your Doing all that. A med switch might not be out of the question unless there are not many options

Hi Michelle! First, let me say congrats on your weight loss; thats amazing! I'm new to this too! I just had surgery last thursday & its been rough finding anything that tastes good to me. I'm also a vegetarian & an extremely picky eater which I think has only gotten worse. I'm hoping to find some great recipes to "spice" things up a bit. I'm not even doing puréed foods yet, so it's been hard to find "liquids" appealing. I use to be able to eat diet foods & now everything that I've tried sugar free seems to leave an unpleasant after taste in my mouth. Did you run in to that too?

I just had surgery last thursday & its been rough finding anything that tastes good to me. I'm also a vegetarian & an extremely picky eater which I think has only gotten worse. I'm hoping to find some great recipes to "spice" things up a bit. I'm not even doing puréed foods yet, so it's been hard to find "liquids" appealing. I use to be able to eat diet foods & now everything that I've tried sugar free seems to leave an unpleasant after taste in my mouth. Did you run in to that too?

Oh wow! So nice to find someone else like me! Exactly why I joined this group! :) Has being a picky eater what got you overweight in the first place? That's what happened to me, because even though I've been a vegetarian for 11 years, I still packed on the weight because I technically don't like vegetables but love (loved) carbs. I used to call myself a carbivore instead! LOL

I will say that for me, finding things that taste good got harder and harder as time went on, because all these foods that I used to think were soooo good, I developed an aversion to for a few different reasons. Some of them made me feel nauseous and I'd throw up, some of them I could eat so I'd eat it so often that I couldn't stand it anymore, and anything rich or creamy just makes me sick to even think about it!

I too am hoping to find some good vegetarian/vegan recipes here. I also need added spice to foods since the surgery. Things are just so much more bland now and I pepper the crap out of everything! And I also had a really hard time in the very beginning, because it was just impossible for me to drink liquid foods as often as I was supposed to and there was hardly anything I wanted or could stomach. Tomato Soup ended up being something I had a lot of and now I can't stand. Popsicles were also a life-saver for me.

As far as the sugar-free foods, I've always had an issue with any foods containing Splenda/sucralose and that hasn't changed. I just try to stick to finding foods with real sugar but low sugar. One thing that I've always been able to handle is sugar-free maple Syrup and I would put a little bit of that into some cream of wheat instead of brown sugar and not only would it be sugar-free, but the syrup helps liquify the cream of wheat to make it easier to eat.

I hope to keep in contact with you and maybe I can help you along the way. It's really tough in the very beginning, because you're stomach has changed, but your mind hasn't and you think you still want those bad-for-you foods and you want solids--now! But it'll come sooner than later and the results are well worth all the hassle!! Good luck to you!

Welcome to family!! Sounds like you have allot to be proud of! You have done really great so far! I guess the basic questions come to mind, are you taking 30+ minutes to eat your 1/2 cup? Are you making sure that your not drinking liquids for 30 minutes before and after eatting?

Thank you! To be honest, I don't avoid liquids when I'm eating, but I keep it very minimal if I do take a drink; and if I do, it's super tiny sips just to get some refreshment in my mouth. I try to be conscious of chewing to applesauce consistency and take my time, but I'll catch myself not doing that sometimes. But, I will still have instances when all I do is swallow a little pill or chew a Tums and I'm suddenly "too full" and throwing it back up. Another issue I have is when I get hungry, it comes on fast and strong. If I don't eat something soon, it will be painful. I get hunger pains. I'm curious to know if others experience this as well.

Michelle- I always had an issue with my weight but I think that was more how I was made to feel about myself growing up then actually being "that" overweight. I have 2 grown kids & honestly gained ALOT of weight with both of them. I was able to get in shape (I mean really fit) but I was at the gym for about an hr & 1/2 6 days a week! But realistically, who can keep up with that! That was back in my 20s....now that im twice as old, even though I'm working out regularly (I was spinning about 3 xs a week), the weight was not budging!!!!

I, like you, was a "carbivore"! :-). Though I like vegetables, I LOVED carbs! That was primarily what was on my plate. I have high bp, high chol, high trig, PCOS, NASH (liver disease)... I'm a sickly person! :-). That's the reason I decided to have this done. My family doesn't know I've had this surgery (besides my hubby, kids, my mom, & 2 close friends).

It was not easy reaching the decision to have the surgery, but after trying EVERY diet under the sun....well, the rest is history! :-)

I'd love to stay in touch bc it sounds like you're well on your way! I'm so happy for you!