Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking About Cancelling Surgery

I am scheduled for.surgery on july 2nd a week from monday and am freaking out. I am personally scared Sh!?less. I am not sure why all of a sudden i am worried.of the unknown. Will i make it off the table? Is this the rightthing to do? Is this selfish of.me to put myself first by doing this.surgery insteadof spending the two weeks vacation doing something with my family. Then it kicks in if i want to be around for my family I NEED TO DO THIS. i am 365 pounds and am 35 on the 28thof this month. I know ineed to but is it the right time. I have high blood pressure diabetes and high cholesterol.the preop check up went great they said i have a heartof a bull but i have the courage of the cowardly lion right now. Any thoughrs or input would be appreciated.

Hi lotstolose,

What you're feeling is pretty normal. I think we all had those feelings. I went back and forth right up to the time they took me into surgery. Even though I was apprehensive, I knew I had made the decision to do it and I was not going to turn back. As you know there are lots of hoops to jump through prior to getting scheduled. I had done them all, and had no desire to start over

What your feeling is NORMAL. If you made the decision to do this, and it's not something we make a snap decision about, you would most likely regret it if you didnt follow through. I too have diabetes and couldn't walk very far without being overtaxed. I have 5 grandchildren that mean the world to me, and I wanted to be here to dance at their weddings. I hope I helped. Hang with this group, they are the best support and group of people I have ever found.

I think it is very normal to have fears. This is major surgery after all. I am not here to talk you into or out of this, only you know what is right for you. I was nervous but instead of thinking about the negatives, I focused on all the things I was going to be able to do when I lost weight. Any time I started to get scared or was focusing on negative possibilities (which are about 1% by the way) I just made myself think positive instead.

I guess it is like anything in life, the more you focus on the negative the more likely you are to see negative. Focus on what you do have which is a family you love and want to be around for. Maybe make yourself a post WLS bucket list of things you can do for yourself or with your family every time you lose 10 or 20 pounds.

There is nothing wrong with changing your mind. Do what is right for you but make sure you make your decision based on YOU.

You'll be fine. You got this far into your decision and it wasn't a mistake.....you know that this is going to help you in the long run. It's definitely a journey, but it's going to be worth it.

lotstolose... I am having surgery on the same day! I too am a nervous wreck plus this 2 week liquid diet is killing me! I keep thinking if this part is so hard, how will I do the rest?

If you're not I'm it whole hearted don't do it. It's a life change commitment

I am scheduled for.surgery on july 2nd a week from monday and am freaking out. I am personally scared Sh!?less. I am not sure why all of a sudden i am worried.of the unknown. Will i make it off the table? Is this the rightthing to do? Is this selfish of.me to put myself first by doing this.surgery insteadof spending the two weeks vacation doing something with my family. Then it kicks in if i want to be around for my family I NEED TO DO THIS. i am 365 pounds and am 35 on the 28thof this month. I know ineed to but is it the right time. I have high blood pressure diabetes and high cholesterol.the preop check up went great they said i have a heartof a bull but i have the courage of the cowardly lion right now. Any thoughrs or input would be appreciated.

I'm going to talk to you from my personal experience. I'm 33 no blood pressure no diabetics no cholesterol. I didn't want to continue gaining more weight. I saw my self fat & sloppy and I wanted to live a long happy life so I did it only for me. I went in with open eyes passed all my evaluations & blood test. Had surgery & even though I'm struggling keeping food down I'm losing weight & feeling happy. I was 211 pounds 5 feet. I'm now 172 pounds.

This surgery isn't for everyone. If you love food so much putting it off for a while will not change anything. Do it when you feel ready.

I had back & knee problems & my knees no longer hurts. My back well I had a back injury at work years ago so maybe with weight lost will help or maybe not.

I think there would be something wrong if you weren't nervous at all. I think it's totally natural. Only you can make the final decision but, remember to take it all into consideration as to what got you here in the first place. Good luck

i went through the same taughts before last tuesday when i had the gastric bypass. it scared the hell out of me a day before. i was sure i wont wake up, i said to my self is it realy worth it ? i waited 5 years for the surgery and heard many good stories and many not very very good. i decided to go with positive energy to the surgery.the surgery went perfectly good. the recovery is not very easy, because it is a complicated surgery. make sure your family and friends understand and support you.

I was scared too before I went I had my surgery. I had a total melt down coming home from the visit with the psychiatrist. Luckily my fiance was there to talk to and give me the support i needed to make the best choice i have ever made! I think everyone is scared it's normal. I know you have a really great support system who will be there for you. Stay strong and know that we are all here if you need us. Feel free to inbox me if you need any advice. Good luck and don't give up:-)

I think it would be selfish if you didn't do the surgery. You'd rob your family of years of vacations and spending time with them. Look at the life span of a morbidly obese person with all of those health issues. I'm not being judgemental or mean. I was nervous too but this was the best gift I could give myself and my family. I have 4 kids and a loving husband. I've inspired my husband and stepmother to have the surgery and I'm only 2 weeks out. If you need someone to talk to pm me ill give you my number

Lotstolose, I am almost 6 yrs out. I am 5'2 and use to weigh 245 lbs. I was border line diabetic, was taking 3 blood pressure meds a day, had full blown fibromyaliga, and have degenerative disc disease in my neck and lower back from artritas, and severe sleep apnea. I couldn't walk very far and was always tired. For only being 52 I felt and looked like a really old women.

Today I weigh 135 lbs no sign of diabetes, totally off blood pressure meds, fibromyalgia under control, artritas under control (I do take Celebrex for that), and sleep apnea gone.... I have more energy now and always on the go. When I initially asked my primary doctor about this surgery he totally agreed this was the best thing for me. He said if I didn't do something I would not make it out of my 60's.

This surgery saved my life. I too had concerns that maybe I would,t make it through the surgery. But my quality of life was getting worse and worse and figured I would take the chance. I cannot even begin to tell you how wonderful I feel. I am finally pain free from my back/leg pain. I even use to go for injections for the pain it was that severe. Even a coworker the other day thought I was 44 yrs old. When I told her I was going to be 58 this year she couldn't believe it.

Bottom line just relax and enjoy the ride. It certainly is amazing. Take a before picture and once a month after your surgery take another. Do this each month and keep them in a book. You will see yourself getting smaller and smaller. Keep a diary of your progress like wt. loss, what you are experiencing etc. also, if you want to keep track go to FITDAY.COM it's free. Keeps track of everything you record.

Please let me know how you are doing.....

Best of luck

Niecie

I know how you feel, 10 years ago I chickened out, asking myself the same things you're asking yourself. Boy what a difference a decade makes, I have diabetes, sleep apnea, and arthritis now. It's not going to better without help. Calm down and think about all things your weight is costing and what the future holds if keep going on the same way you are now. STEP out on faith, GOD's got your back. You'll do great

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk

I know how you feel' date=' 10 years ago I chickened out, asking myself the same things you're asking yourself. Boy what a difference a decade makes, I have diabetes, sleep apnea, and arthritis now. It's not going to better without help. Calm down and think about all things your weight is costing you and what the future holds if you keep going on the same way you are now. STEP out on faith, GOD's got you back. You'll do great

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk[/quote']

I know how you feel' date=' 10 years ago I chickened out, asking myself the samethings you're asking yourself. Boy what a difference a decade makes, I have diabetes, sleep apnea, and arthritis now. It's not going to get better without help. Be calm and think about all things your weight is costing and what the future holds if keep going on the same way you are now. STEP out on faith, GOD's got your back. You'll do great. I'm so ready now, surgery not scheduled yet

Sent from my iPad using RNYTalk[/quote']