Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Peeves you?

Ok here's one that maybe I just don't get, more so than is a peeve... but it could be well on its way... I don't even know what they're called. Poeple here put them on their trucks or jeeps... brightly colored plastic "scrotum" that hang from their tow hitches, boats, etc. I googled "truck balls" and found a picture:
I actually just saw a pair here in Kentucky for the first time. Stainless steel. Nearly blinded me because of the way it swung.

What drives me up the wall, almost killed me today.

When a car is entering a highway, like Interstate 95 or the Florida Turnpike, there is an acceleration ramp so the vehicle can pick up speed to match the speed of the cars (already on the road) before moving left into the right lane. I hate it when the vehicle behind me (on the acceleration ramp) guns it and jumps into the right lane as I am ready to move left from the acceleration lane. There is not enough acceleration lane left to stop and nowhere but the grass to go.

I am not a slow driver. I drive a 4 cylinder Camry which has decent, though not spectacular acceleration, but of course there are V8's that can just zip right around my car.

Yep TOM there are those, then the other side of the coin, the ones who STOP at the end of the on ramp, like there is no acceleration/merge lane!!! Just sit there waiting, like traffic is going to stop for them on an interstate!!! Makes me crazy!!!

Kat

Yep TOM there are those, then the other side of the coin, the ones who STOP at the end of the on ramp, like there is no acceleration/merge lane!!! Just sit there waiting, like traffic is going to stop for them on an interstate!!! Makes me crazy!!!

Kat

Both types are looking to cause an accident.

There is a lot of tracker trailer traffic here and trying to drop behind an 18 wheeler is a trickie move coming off the acceleration ramp. I hate it when I see an SUV or big pickup truck tailgating me at 70 MPH on the acceleration ramp, because I know what is going to happen. They will jump lanes and get right behind the 18 wheeler, leaving me no where to go.

In the American legal system, "judgement" is unacceptable. It's kind of the same as "all right" and "alright." If I put "judgement" and "alright" in a brief, I would not be making a good impression on the judge.

enterprise01, I stand corrected! :o

enterprise01, I stand corrected! :o

Of course the Brits have lots of different rules, so maybe over there "judgement" is the standard. I'll have to check on that. Personally, I love "colour" and "behaviour" and wish we would spell them that way.

Of course the Brits have lots of different rules, so maybe over there "judgement" is the standard. I'll have to check on that. Personally, I love "colour" and "behaviour" and wish we would spell them that way.

Do it! I spell words like that all the time (sometimes even on purpose!). Seriously though, why not? It's correct. I do it just to annoy some folks and I'm pretty sure it's working so far! :biggrin1:

This is how we Canucks spell. We learn to spell the British way. Our kids have to be trained on US spellings when they compete in spelling bees south of the border. And of course we also pick up on US spelling up here. This can sometimes land us in trouble at school. I have heard of the occasional university student who was slammed by their prof for misspelling a word when in fact they were using the correct US spelling. :o

In my edition, the 1972 edition of the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, judg(e)ment is listed with both spellings but no comment as to whether one is favoured by the States.:phanvan

This is how we Canucks spell. We learn to spell the British way. Our kids have to be trained on US spellings when they compete in spelling bees south of the border. And of course we also pick up on US spelling up here. This can sometimes land us in trouble at school. I have heard of the occasional university student who was slammed by their prof for misspelling a word when in fact they were using the correct US spelling. :o
Just because someone has an education, it does not mean that they have sense, common or otherwise.

Just because someone has an education, it does not mean that they have sense, common or otherwise.

Boy is that the truth! I work at a college and let me tell you, there's a lot of really smart people walking around that can't even tie their own shoelaces!

Boy is that the truth! I work at a college and let me tell you, there's a lot of really smart people walking around that can't even tie their own shoelaces!
Thank God for VelCro.:help:

Back to the spelling peeve......one word that is constantly spelled wrong on the wls board is "lose"....people type that they are 'loosing' weight, they want to 'loose' 10 pounds, Arrrrrgh!! The word is LOSE!!!!! Makes this old English teacher want to attack the computer screen with a red pencil!!!:angry

That one is the one I was going to post but decided to see if anyone else did first.

Yes, that's a biggun here. I don't think people realize how "I'm a looser!" could be taken. :girl_hug:

I hate it when people don't get to the point. So much so that I may have already posted that one. My husband is really bad about that. Yesterday I asked him, "What did you have for lunch? " He proceeds to tell me about his meetings, and how he didn't get out for lunch until late... he drove a co-worker to a nearby furniture store... that guy looked at a new kitchen table... it was laminate and $600... he has a big family and right now they all eat around a little table because they have lots of kids and his wife doesn't work and their money is tight... we're now like 3 minutes into the story and I still haven't gotten an answer to my question.

Yes, that's a biggun here. I don't think people realize how "I'm a looser!" could be taken. :girl_hug:

I've been trying to think of a non insulting sig line that makes it clear but I am not tactful enough to come up with anything.

In the area of tact, I am not a great advisor.

Although I can advise trying to ignore it, because like cockroaches and twinkies, it will never go away.

I want to be a looser!! Any guys out there, preferably over 6'3, who would like to help me out?