Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November sleevers - what are you doing to prepare?

Hi guys.

Thought I would start a thread to see what you all are doing to prepare for your November dates. My tentative date is 11/14/13 and I'm hoping to lock that in this week. I am traveling from the Northwest to Las Vegas.

Here are some of the things I'm doing - would love to hear from other November sleevers on their prep for the bid day:

1. I'm incorporating one Protein shake a day (usually in the afternoon).

2. I'm saying goodbye to some foods and restaurants. I have had a few occasions where I've said, "This probably won't be on my post-op diet." The chicken Ranch Club sammy, husband's chicken wings (a favorite, but this last attempt wasn't so great - we may have to try again in the next week or so) :mellow:

3. I am doing my on-line classes required by my doc in Vegas. 3 down, 5 more to go.

4. Slowing cutting down on my caffeine consumption. I'm down to two cups of coffee in the morning and will start incorporating half caff/half decaff next week. (I posted regarding my attempt at going directly down to one cup and boy did I suffer)

5. I am trying to reflect a lot on a) how I got here and B) what am I going to do to make things different, so I don't return to this dark and dreary place.

6. This week I am going to do more exercise and perhaps visit the gym for the first time in months. My goal is by surgery date, I'm working out at the gym on a regular basis. I believe going into this surgery is like any other - be in the best physical shape you can be in and recovery might be a little easier.

Hi guys.

Thought I would start a thread to see what you all are doing to prepare for your November dates. My tentative date is 11/14/13 and I'm hoping to lock that in this week. I am traveling from the Northwest to Las Vegas.

Here are some of the things I'm doing - would love to hear from other November sleevers on their prep for the bid day:

1. I'm incorporating one Protein shake a day (usually in the afternoon).

2. I'm saying goodbye to some foods and restaurants. I have had a few occasions where I've said, "This probably won't be on my post-op diet." The chicken Ranch Club sammy, husband's chicken wings (a favorite, but this last attempt wasn't so great - we may have to try again in the next week or so) :mellow:

3. I am doing my on-line classes required by my doc in Vegas. 3 down, 5 more to go.

4. Slowing cutting down on my caffeine consumption. I'm down to two cups of coffee in the morning and will start incorporating half caff/half decaff next week. (I posted regarding my attempt at going directly down to one cup and boy did I suffer)

5. I am trying to reflect a lot on a) how I got here and B) what am I going to do to make things different, so I don't return to this dark and dreary place.

6. This week I am going to do more exercise and perhaps visit the gym for the first time in months. My goal is by surgery date, I'm working out at the gym on a regular basis. I believe going into this surgery is like any other - be in the best physical shape you can be in and recovery might be a little easier.

You're doing great! I'm taking a cruise next week. :)

April, I'm smiling as I write this - GOOD FOR YOU! Live it up, girl!

You're doing great! I'm taking a cruise next week. :)

April, I'm smiling as I write this - GOOD FOR YOU! Live it up, girl!

My date is November 1. On 09/29 I quit smoking - I have been smoking two a day for about a year but that habit ha been challenging to give up. I just really want this surgery more.

-I stopped drinking pop on 09/24. That one has been TOUGH. I usually drink a 20oz Diet Dr Pepper or Diet Coke every day. About a month ago I switched it to sprite to break the caffeine addiction. That helped immensely. Now I drink the occasional Vitamin Water or mio but otherwise I'm just drinking plain Water.

- I have been working on not drinking during meals. This one is going to be so hard since I drink like a fish. I usually pack away at least 24-36 ounces at each meal. I realized this morning while I was having brunch with a skinny friend that she barely sipped her water and I had finished my third glass. There must be something to that. It's a hard hard habit to break.

I need to pick a date to start and then just start! I am scheduled for surgery Nov 25 and have to do a 15 day pre op diet. I want to start eating healthier and cut back now so it won't be such a shock in Nov, but all I seem to be doing is eating everything!!! I need to get my $&@: together, kick everyone out of the house, clear out my cabinets and fridge, go to the grocery store and buy nothing but veggies (that's all I get on my pre op besides Protein Shakes and sugar free Jello and Popsicles) jello, and then just do it. I am terrified I am going to fail at this and then what??

Thanks!! I actually planned the cruise LONG before I planned to have the surgery.

Derbymama, I worry about failing too!! I eat now when I'm not really hungry. So I'm scared about after the surgery.

I am terrified I am going to fail at this and then what??

Derby, I completely understand. This weekend was weird for me. Thoughts failure crept into my mind this weekend - fleeting thoughts and a little self doubt. It was weird. This is the first time that has happened. Maybe it's because I took the on-line courses my Doc requires and there is a lot of "effort" talk. "You can't promise you'll do better watching your intake, it is going to take EFFORT."

They also talked about mourning food. I totally get that. That's why I'm going thru that process now. I might pick a restaurant that has an entree that I probably won't eat again...ever (Pasta bowls, burritos, etc). I think that's my natural process - like a food funeral.

I wish you luck. You know we're hear for you. Keep us updated on what's going on.

McButterpants,

I saw this question on your blog: How am I going to be successful when I have failed so many times in the past?

How have you answered that?

McButterpants,

I saw this question on your blog: How am I going to be successful when I have failed so many times in the past?

How have you answered that?

Hi, April.

I'm still trying to figure it out. It does scare the hell out of me. Like I said this weekend was weird with the thoughts that entered my mind.

I did learn a lot when I went thru the mandatory pro-op videos. It talks a lot about commitment and, more importantly, that EFFORT word. Changing the relationship with food is important (no more using it as a crutch - tackling the deeper issues about why we eat and why we eat the foods we do). I am really working on sitting down with my meal and focusing on chewing and really savoring the flavor of the food. I'm trying to change my mindset - food is fuel.

And finally, I thought this was an awesome quote from the on-line course:

"If you always do what you always did...you will always get what you always got"

So in summary - I'm working on my brain. :wacko:

Edited by Derbymama21

Here are a few things I have going on ...My husband is threatening to change the password on my Amazon.com account!!!! It seems I have 1-2 deliveries each week between blender bottles, decaff coffee, cooking stuff for when I can introduce food, etc.

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury canisters received (Soup, chocolate splendor and vanilla).

Sample pack of nectar - mybariatricpantry.com allows you to select which ones you want.

Full size Roadside Lemonade which is my favorite nectar so far.

Blender bottles

Gas-X strips

Chike shakes (coffee)

I haven't found a ready-to-drink shake that I like, so I'm going with the powders.< /p>