Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Straws - good, bad, or ugly?

Hello all,

So, in my couple weeks of lurking around here I've seen a bunch of people talking about straws. Uncertain about them. Feeling guilty about using them. Sometimes even chastizing others for using them. So I was a bit surprised and confused when I got my "Sleeve Gastrectomy Owner's Manual" from my surgeon and saw the following in the first few pages of the post-op nutrition section:

"STAGE 1 - Clear liquids - FLUIDS

SIP liquids SLOWLY. NO GULPING. It is okay to use a straw if desired."

I'm a bit flummoxed. I see everyone talking here about straws with such fear and trepidation, only to see my surgeon give an explicit okay to them. And not just a "well, in 6 months it's probably okay to use one occasionally." Day 1 after surgery, he says it's okay to use straws for all of my fluids. And it's not like I'm going to a middle-of-nowhere small hospital where people don't know any better. This is a bariatric center of excellence and my doc is one of the most well-regarded bariatric surgeons in TN.

So what's the deal? Why do most doctors so urgently insist that people not use straws after this surgery if it seems pretty obvious from my doc's track record that they don't seem to increase long-term complications? Is it just the concern of extra air swallowed? What has everyone else heard from your doc/NUT and if you've used straws post-op, what has your experience been with them? Thanks for any input!

My doc's plan says never again. He is also one of the leading surgeons. I just think it boils down to all Dr's are different and have differing opinions. Just like some would say the bypass is far better than the sleeve long term. I think it also comes down to how much data is available on each subject from case studies and such. They have not been performing the sleeve nearly as long as say the bypass. I am certain what is the norm today for recommendations will not be the norm 5 years from now.

I've used straws since day 2...absolutely no issues. Welcome to the first of many differences between surgeons' post-op rules and guidelines. Personally, I think as beneficial as this forum is for swapping stories, tips and experiences your best bet is to a) follow your specific post-op plan and B) ask your surgeon directly about any questions for why he does/doesn't allow certain things.

From what I've gathered about straw use is that there is a concern that you will take in more air than liquid, however, I don't know what the larger concern (beyond discomfort?) is

Verbatim, the advice given to me (taken from my diet plan booklet) was this:

' Avoid carbonated drinks and drinking with a straw. This introduces too much air and causes bloating'.

By 'air', they mean enough to fill you up from pubis to sternum and by 'bloating', they mean endeavoring to expand your newly eviscerated stomach into that which resembles an internal Zeppelin. Leaving you writhing around, greatly uncomfortable, as you desperately try to maneuver your stomach into letting go of the 'air' that it has claimed; resulting in burping of the 'I don't care about social propriety, I have to get it out' variety.

Apparently and for some, this abates further on down the road and they happily consume beverages through a straw when they wish. If using a straw is integral to your life, try it. I did - accidentally - when I purchased myself a nice iced latte - completely forgetting about the warning. What happened? I was stood outside a shopping centre, leaning against a wall, trying to burp that baby up. Thus leaving people to think I was having some sort of coronary. Nice. Lady-like behaviour.

I also asked my doctor about this because straws are the only way I feel like I can get enough fluids. The doctor said they advise against both straws and carbonation because it can cause excess gas, which causes pain. They also said that they urge people not to drink carbonated beverages for the first few weeks for healing purposes and after this because it eliminates the sugary sodas that many people like to drink. I had my 2 week post-op appointment last Tuesday and my surgeon said that if straws don't bother me, then I was free to use them. He also said it was fine to have carbonated beverages again, but I haven't had any yet- so not sure if that would cause gas or not.

My surgeon is kind of jerk as a person (his bedside manner leaves something to be desired) but he currently has a perfect record- no leaks, no complications, and he's completed a few hundred surgeries. I wouldn't mind if he was a nicer guy, but he's an excellent surgeon so despite the fact that he treats me like I'm stupid, I do trust his medical advice.

So I guess the take-home lesson seems to be that there are as many opinions on this as there are surgeons, and as many different experiences with straws as there are sleevers who have tried them. Fair enough. I'll probably give them a shot, but I've never really cared one way or the other how I get fluids to me now, so if it ends up uncomfortable and I have to stop, it's no big loss.

So I guess the take-home lesson seems to be that there are as many opinions on this as there are surgeons, and as many different experiences with straws as there are sleevers who have tried them. Fair enough. I'll probably give them a shot, but I've never really cared one way or the other how I get fluids to me now, so if it ends up uncomfortable and I have to stop, it's no big loss.

Nope, your take home might better be that there are many programs, so follow yours! IMHO, the most important thing is to keep your mind in the game and get and keep control of bad eating habits.

Hundreds of surgeons and NUT instructions. All as different as snowflakes. Yes, you would think that since we all had the same surgery, we would all have the same, pre op diet, post op diet and post op restrictions. Straws? Never? After a few weeks? From the get go? Same question for alcohol, caffeine, grapes, carbonation.....the list goes on.

My take is that I trust my surgeon and follow his advice but at the end of the day I know that since there are so many different instructions for every surgeon, my conclusion is this: Our surgeons are basing instructions based on the following, first they are going on medical fact, then medical opinion, covering their asses and lastly, serving the lowest common denominator.

I don't recommend anyone not follow the instructions given to them, but I also believe in common sense.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

p.s. I use a straw all the time. I get way more liquid and way less air than just drinking. Probably get close to 100oz a day with my straw and Tervis Tumbler. I take it with me everywhere!

Hundreds of surgeons and NUT instructions. All as different as snowflakes. Yes, you would think that since we all had the same surgery, we would all have the same, pre op diet, post op diet and post op restrictions. Straws? Never? After a few weeks? From the get go? Same question for alcohol, caffeine, grapes, carbonation.....the list goes on.

My take is that I trust my surgeon and follow his advice but at the end of the day I know that since there are so many different instructions for every surgeon, my conclusion is this: Our surgeons are basing instructions based on the following, first they are going on medical fact, then medical opinion, covering their asses and lastly, serving the lowest common denominator.

I don't recommend anyone not follow the instructions given to them, but I also believe in common sense.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

p.s. I use a straw all the time. I get way more liquid and way less air than just drinking. Probably get close to 100oz a day with my straw and Tervis Tumbler. I take it with me everywhere!

Me too! I bring straws with me because I can sip my way through a lot of fluids with a straw, but as soon as I have to drink regularly, I feel like giant chunks of air get stuck in my esophagus. Straws are totally what has kept me from becoming dehydrated.

Thanks all for your input, and I definitely know where you're coming from Arts. Don't worry on that accord - I'm a huge proponent of strict adherance to medical instruction. I was a child of two nurses, after all, and grew up listening to them grumble about non-complient patients. :) I especially don't mean to mislead others into not following thier own doctor's instructions, even where they differ from mine! Keep calm and listen to your doc! Thanks again!

If it doesn't have a straw I'm not drinking from it. ;) I use a Copco reusable 24oz drink tumbler with a straw for all my Water. Everyday, since 2 days post-op.

Carbonation NEVER. I gave it up over 3 years ago and haven't had a single sip since.

Everyone is different and everyone has different rules.

Hello all' date=' So, in my couple weeks of lurking around here I've seen a bunch of people talking about straws. Uncertain about them. Feeling guilty about using them. Sometimes even chastizing others for using them. So I was a bit surprised and confused when I got my "Sleeve Gastrectomy Owner's Manual" from my surgeon and saw the following in the first few pages of the post-op nutrition section: "STAGE 1 - Clear liquids - FLUIDS SIP liquids SLOWLY. NO GULPING. It is okay to use a straw if desired." I'm a bit flummoxed. I see everyone talking here about straws with such fear and trepidation, only to see my surgeon give an explicit okay to them. And not just a "well, in 6 months it's probably okay to use one occasionally." Day 1 after surgery, he says it's okay to use straws for all of my fluids. And it's not like I'm going to a middle-of-nowhere small hospital where people don't know any better. This is a bariatric center of excellence and my doc is one of the most well-regarded bariatric surgeons in TN. So what's the deal? Why do most doctors so urgently insist that people not use straws after this surgery if it seems pretty obvious from my doc's track record that they don't seem to increase long-term complications? Is it just the concern of extra air swallowed? What has everyone else heard from your doc/NUT and if you've used straws post-op, what has your experience been with them? Thanks for any input![/quote']

My doc/surgery was at a center of excellence in TN too. It's crazy how every doc is different! My surgeon is even in practice with another surgeon & even their plans & rules differ from each other!