Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many oz does our stomach hold?

I had surgery Monday and on discharge they said to drink 4oz of fluids an hour but if i could drink more then i could till i felt comfortable. I have been drinking some crystal light for the past 45 min, got 8 oz down and don't feel any signs of fullness. I am not going to drink anymore just because i feel like 8oz is a lot for a small stomach. So my question is how many oz are they able to hold? And should I be worried that I don't feel any signs of my stomach being full after 8oz?

From what I understand liquid pretty much just flows right through our sleeve. Some people have no issue whatsoever getting 64+ ounces down. I am over 2 weeks out and can drink no problem now.

My surgeon's goal was to get up to drinking 8oz an hour by the 3rd day post op. Just be sure you're taking sips and not gulps. As your stomach heels, you'll get more sensation- and that can mean pain if you're drinking too fast.

Height: 5' 4'' HW: 256 SW: 227 CW: 216

From what I understand liquid pretty much just flows right through our sleeve. Some people have no issue whatsoever getting 64+ ounces down. I am over 2 weeks out and can drink no problem now.

Okay I was hoping that it just goes through my sleeve, but I couldn't help but get freaked out thinking there might be 8oz in my sleeve and me not be able to tell.

O

Okay I was hoping that it just goes through my sleeve, but I couldn't help but get freaked out thinking there might be 8oz in my sleeve and me not be able to tell.

You spaced your drinking out, which is smart this early out. I came out of the hospital with the instructions to drink 1oz. every 15 minutes. You may not feel a full sensation for a little bit, you're numb and swollen so just follow your directions and you should be golden.

Congratulations on your surgery!! Good luck through your recovery.

My surgeon's goal was to get up to drinking 8oz an hour by the 3rd day post op. Just be sure you're taking sips and not gulps. As your stomach heels' date=' you'll get more sensation- and that can mean pain if you're drinking too fast.

Height: 5' 4'' HW: 256 SW: 227 CW: 216[/quote']

I am glad that the sensation will come back after it is healed I don't want to ever push it beyond its limit.

O

You spaced your drinking out' date=' which is smart this early out. I came out of the hospital with the instructions to drink 1oz. every 15 minutes. You may not feel a full sensation for a little bit, you're numb and swollen so just follow your directions and you should be golden.

Congratulations on your surgery!! Good luck through your recovery.[/quote']

Thanks :) I just wasn't sure because they never gave me a set amount except at least 4oz an hour if i can. I can't wait to be fully healed and have sensation back with my stomach.

. Yes, liquids go right thru ur tummy. My dr told me my actual stomach could hold 2 oz of solids but that it CAN be stretched to 4 oz in a year, but not more (they take the stretchy part out). But I can comfortably eat 4 oz of food at 1 sitting. That worries me a little. Not sure what that means...

But yes, I wouldn't worry bout the liquids...

. Yes' date=' liquids go right thru ur tummy. My dr told me my actual stomach could hold 2 oz of solids but that it CAN be stretched to 4 oz in a year, but not more (they take the stretchy part out). But I can comfortably eat 4 oz of food at 1 sitting. That worries me a little. Not sure what that means... But yes, I wouldn't worry bout the liquids...[/quote']

That's funny that your doc said your stomach can only fit 2 oz... My progressive diet already has me up to 5 oz. and I'm only 16 days out... Now I can't finish that but that's what it has... I probably eat 4 oz too.. I wouldn't be too concerned... ????

i can eat a size 6 oz yogurt

or two chicken tenderloins

it all depends on the density of food

slider foods like popcorn and chips I don't get full..so I try to measure out at portion if i want some

This might be a stupid question, but does the size of the bougie affect how big your sleeve is? My doc used a 40.

This might be a stupid question' date=' but does the size of the bougie affect how big your sleeve is? My doc used a 40.[/quote']

Yes the bougie size is your stomach size mine is 36 I feel I can eat a lot ...I can eat a whole sandwhich or a whole banana

This might be a stupid question' date=' but does the size of the bougie affect how big your sleeve is? My doc used a 40.[/quote']

If you google boogie size images, you'll see that the differences are so small as to not matter at all. What matters more is how long and big your stomach was before. I mean, leaving 15% of a large stomach will leave behind more than would 15% of a smaller stomach. My husband and I were sleeved the same day and from the beginning he has been able to hold 4 oz of solids, and I can hold 2 oz. it's not enough to cause weight differences really, unless you fill your extra 2 oz with butter :P

Yes the bougie size is your stomach size mine is 36 I feel I can eat a lot ...I can eat a whole sandwhich or a whole banana

I am tall

I can drink unlimited fluids, I can hold around 5oz of yogurt. 2-3oz of solid Protein or 4oz of a mix of protein/veggies. According to my paperwork I'm where I should be. I'm 4 weeks post op. My daily goal is 900 calories, <40g of Carbs >70g of protein and I hit it and have since 2 weeks post op. I eat 5 times a day.