Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What happens at your pre op appointment at your doctors office?

Hi, at my appointment the surgeon went over my weight, BMI and we discussed the difference between the sleeve and bypass. It was pretty quick. His office staff then set up the psyc visits, nutritional class, dietian appnts, upper GI, lab appnts, endoscopy and weigh in's. Depending on ur insurance it could be a few months to a year. I have to wait 6 months :(. It's fine though. It gives me time to make sure I get the Protein shakes I like and start eating healthier. How long do you have to wait?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using VST

Review your health history, prior sugeries, current BMI, prior history of weight loss efforts., weight history, family health history. I also saw a film that showed how the bypass and sleeve will be performed. I am scheduled to meet with a dietician, psych eval, upper gi, EKG, lab work , and a nutritionist next week. My insurance does not require me to be on a 3 or 6 month diet program ..though I will put myself , with my nutritionist's help, on a one month pre op eating program to start sipping Water, drinking Protein Shakes, etc. I hope to lose 10 pounds before the surgery.

Depends on your ins. My program does pre op stuff in half day appts. First one was blood draw, psych eval, nurse clinician and bariatric dr.

2nd half day was follow up with dr, dietician, and physical therapist.

My ins required very little to get approved. So, a lot of what you'll do is based on that and how your program is set up.

Now that I'm approved, I see the surgeon next week after I have an ultrasound on my gallbladder. Then see the dietician one more time before surgery.

:)

For the pre-op about a week before surgery, I met with the nurse practitioner in my surgeon's office and got a full physical exam from her. We went over how I had been doing on my diet, my plans for post-surgery, etc. She went over all my drugs and Vitamins with me and told me which ones to stop taking before surgery and when. My surgeon's office is in the same hospital where they do surgery, so then they sent me off to get labs drawn and to do pre-admission with the hospital. Hospital pre-admission was both taking care of financial stuff, getting another exam from a nurse, having an EKG and a pulmonary function test, as well as going over stuff like did I have any allergies, any problems with anesthesia in the past, and so on. They also gave me my pre-op instructions (no eating or drinking after midnight, shower the night before and morning of and wash abdomen with antiseptic solution, etc.).

Earlier, two weeks before surgery, I had to go to a pre-surgery half day boot camp with a lot of other patients, and we went over the post-op diet, exercise plans, possible symptoms to watch out for, what we could expect in the hospital, all of that in excruciating detail.

I am with Kaiser and mine seems to be different than everyone elses. I went to the PCP, she did a check up, asked a bunch of questions, did an EKG, Chest X-Ray and blood work. That was it.

My surgeons nurse coordinator called me last week to give me the rest of my appointments, she set them up. Glad our vacation before the surgery fell through she has an appointment that week... the appt is with the anesthesiologist 6 days before surgery. She also gave me all the pre-op instructions over the phone and told me she would be mailing me a copy with everything she told me.

I had an appt the same day at a Hospital for the Pulmonary function tests, and went yesterday for an appt with the Pulmonologist.

It sounds like every doctor and every insurance does something different.

My pre-op surgical appointment is next Wednesday, NUT said he will give me the pre-op diet and the surgeon will go over all my test results, and I'll sign my papers for surgery.

Yes,, it does sound like every ones pre op is different. I missed mines today.. It's rescheduled for Friday.. I have surgery Oct 3rd.. I already spoke with the hospital a month ago to find out if i had any patient responsibility.. The hospital called me today and told me to be there at 530 am and not to drink anything nor take any NSAIDs and so I will be paying an extra $100 for the take home pain pump