Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medifast?

I need your help and advice. The doctor I am going to use requires that you lose 10% of the amount that you are overweight, before he will do the surgery. Between the time I see him the first time, and am weighed, and see him for the second time I need to loose my 10%. At his seminar he said that he would not see you if you hadn't lost the weight. He feels that if you are commited you will lose the 10%. I have talked to the nurse and she said that he doesn't have a specific weight loss plan he wants you to use. So, I am own my own here. I want to loose the weight ASAP. The sooner I loose it, the sooner I can make my second appointment and get my surgery date. I need to loose less than 20 pounds, but I have tried all the "regular" diets like Weight Watchers, and that takes so long for me. I have PCOS. Any suggestions? I have noticed that quiet a few doctors put people on Medifast pre-op. Would that be the quickest? If so, what flavors/produces are the best, and which should I stay away from? The nurse said I should get a call in the next few days to set up my first appointment. If I'm going to do Medifast, I need to go ahead and order it. So, what do you think?:help:

Sueb

Still waiting

I tried Medifast...just get one of there packages. I only lost 14 pounds on it, but I have a hard time sticking to anything. I used the left overs after surgery too. Personally, I wouldn't go to the this doctor if he is tell you have to lose 10%, unless he needs you to lose it for safety reasons during the surgery. Have tried another doctor? I only had to do the liquid diet before surgery for 1 day and if I could lose weight on my own...I would have gotten the band. My doctor knows this and has told me this too. He knows we all binges...etc. Anyway...Medifast is ok, it's not great, but ok.

Have you tried something like NutriSystem? You can get a month or two of the food and should lose 20 pounds.

I can get it off, I just can't keep it off. Good luck to you!!

Thanks for the help.

prbrooksie, the 10% weight loss is to shrink the liver before surgery. I understand why he wants me to loose the weight, I just want it gone ...now!

julestwa, Do you think that would be faster than the Medifast? My sister tried it and hated the foods, so I'm not eager to try it, but whatever works.

Sueb

still waiting

Medifast I did for 6 months and lost 30lbs but got so sick of the food. The shakes tasted good to me choco, mocha and vanilla and the chicken noodle Soup and the wild rice Soup. The bars I also liked. I got to the point that I needed food that tasted good.

I agree with the person that said that if you could diet on your own why would you get the lap band?

SueB,

I am using Medifast post op because of the high Protein. A friend had ordered it several months ago and never started the program so she gave it to me. By far the best I've had is the Cream of chicken Soup. It's ok just out of the package, but I "doctor it up" with curry powder, pepper, etc and it's tastes so much better!

The shakes are also good, but I also add, strawberries, bananas, peaches, etc to them to keep them from that chalky taste.

Good luck!

I used Medi-fast for my two week pre-op. I lost 25 lbs.

I like the cinnamin/apple oatmeal, the chicken Soup, the pudding... and that was about it. I mostly ate the cinn/apple -- and I would put a TBSP of splenda in it to make it taste better.

I will assure you... they arent the best tasting food on earth BUT they do give you all the essential Vitamins and nutrients that your body needs to lose the weight... (and of course the PROTEIN)

I would recommend it to you, but I will tell you. Dont have high hopes on flavor. :-)

Thanks beversman. At this point I'm not really sure what I will do. I haven't heard from the doctor's office yet, so I guess I'll just wait and see.

My doctor uses Optifast for the 1-2 week preop diet. He also says I need to loose about 10% of my body mass about 27 lbs), but he says Optifast should do the trick (or nearly the trick). You may want to check it out. Good Luck!

Where do you get Medifast and Optifast? I'm scheduled for lapband surgery on Feb 22nd and I was told to do a liquid diet for 7 days, but I'm thinking maybe I should do it for 14 days? I have a very high BMI (51) so it would probably be better the longer I did it. I don't want to have any complications with the surgery!! Are both of those programs expensive?

Dina,

As far as I can tell they are. I think I will see what else I can find. I'm having to shell out the big bucks for the band and things are tight right now.