Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what is a good 'PRE-operation DIET , so not to gain, and to get into what is good for the Sleeve

I hope I can get some ideas here. I'm having my Band removed on Oct 9th. I"m not getting my Sleeve done until Jan "week 1". So I don't want to gain weight, and thought I would start getting into the Diet that I would follow Post Sleeve... Where do I find this information. I've been looking into getting something that will make a "smoothie".. for the mornings.. so I can add protein.. and fruit. Any Ideas for any of this...or where I can see a DIET written.. for pre-surgery.. and post-surgery??? thanks to you all JewelJ

HI Jewel: ( i edited this a littlle, I dont' think I fully explained what i meant)

It is a great idea to get your self prepared as far as your diet it concerned. IMO

I think it really gets us in a good mind space to prepare and not have to not make drastic changes only after surgery.

When I got serious about surgery, I joined weight watchers (again) It kept me accountable and helped frame my mind for the changes to come, without being in a specific "pre-op" diet plan. I agree with Bufflehead (below) about not going into a drastic calorie restricted plan, but rather change your behaviors in preparation for the pre-op and surgery. I wound up losing almost 60lbs. between June and December.

For your information... Here is a pdf of the diet plan my NUT gave me, pre-op through post.

Stage 1-7.pdf

I hope I can get some ideas here. I'm having my Band removed on Oct 9th. I"m not getting my Sleeve done until Jan "week 1". So I don't want to gain weight, and thought I would start getting into the Diet that I would follow Post Sleeve... Where do I find this information. I've been looking into getting something that will make a "smoothie".. for the mornings.. so I can add Protein.. and fruit. Any Ideas for any of this...or where I can see a DIET written.. for pre-surgery.. and post-surgery??? thanks to you all JewelJ

The responses are going to vary widely as different surgeons have different requirements. For insurance purposes, I was told I could stay the same weight or lose weight but not gain weight under any circumstances. Two-weeks prior to surgery was the liquid-only 2-week preop diet which consisted of Bariatric Advantage Protein shakes (that my surgeon required i buy from him) and sugar-free Jello or popcicles and low-sodium broth if I absolutely had to. The 24 hours before surgery i could have Clear liquids only (Isopure RTD).

After surgery i was released immediately to full liquids, then soft foods, then most regular food (after 7 weeks).

What my nut had me work on before surgery

- do not drink with meals or for 30 minutes afterwards. This is harder than you think and the sooner you get into the habit the better.

- chew each bite 20-30 times each. Also harder than it seems.

- learn to eat meals Protein first THEN veg THEN fruit THEN carb (if there's any room left - after surgery you'll be lucky to finish the protein and a bite of the veg)

- if you're not exercising, start walking 10 minutes a day EVERY day and increase it until you are walking 8000 steps a day

- stop drinking soda or anything carbonated completely

- stop smoking if you smoke

Personally, I don't believe in going hard core low calorie, or low carb, super low anything before surgery. If I were in your shoes, I would probably do a sensible, balanced diet and aim for between 1500-1700 calories per day. I would make sure to eat a high Fiber diet and I would not substitute meals with shakes/smoothies. I would want to go into surgery well-nourished, strong, and with my digestive system functioning at peak performance.

I would use the pre-surgery months to make behavioral changes rather than dietary changes. Things like:

--three meals a day and two small Snacks, NO GRAZING

--don't drink with your meals and wait 30 minutes after a meal to drink

--eat slowly. Chew food well. Take small bites.

--don't drink your calories.

--if you are going to have to give up caffeine or carbonated drinks after surgery, give them up now.

--eat mindfully. Only eat when you are sitting down. This means at a table, not in front of a tv or a computer.

--track everything you eat on myfitnesspal or a similar app religiously. Everything you eat, every day, even if you "fall off the wagon" and eat an entire pizza and a gallon of ice cream. Don't ever lie to or avoid your food journal.

I think that changing the way you approach food from a behavioral standpoint is more helpful than trying to adopt a post-surgery diet before you actually have the surgery. Just MO.

On August 1st I started what I call my "pre-op/post-op" diet. It has been totally regulated by ME. I am not required by my surgeon or insurance to do it. I just believed it would be in my best interest to start making changes now, before I am sleeved. My diet is high Protein, low fat/calories/carbs. Fairly like what you will eat once you start back on regular foods post op. The only major concession I have made is I am not limiting quantity yet, just changed the quality. I will say the side benefits of the change have actually "shrank" my stomach some, I can no longer eat the amounts I used to. And last week I ate some foods I had cut out. I didn't eat a huge amount, but they were higher in fat/calories/carbs than what I have been eating. Let me tell you, it triggered the CARB MONSTER big time! I now know I am better off limiting carbs. I do not crave as much doing without than eating them in moderation. I spent the weekend being hungry and never being satisfied with anything. ( and wanting vast quatities of JUNK) I am back on track this week and already feel better. That is another effect for me, I feel less sluggish and bloated eating this way. I sleep better, I have better energy. But the best result of it?? I have dropped 20lbs since I started!!! My joints are already reaping the benefits of it. Granted I still have a loooong way to go, but I feel I have a solid start. In addition, during my psych eval the doctor said I was much more likely to be successful once I have the sleeve because I have already committed to making the changes now. So I believe you are on the right track..Good luck and much success!!

Things like:

--if you are going to have to give up caffeine or carbonated drinks after surgery, give them up now.

--eat mindfully. Only eat when you are sitting down. This means at a table, not in front of a tv or a computer.

--track everything you eat on myfitnesspal or a similar app religiously. Everything you eat, every day, even if you "fall off the wagon" and eat an entire pizza and a gallon of ice cream. Don't ever lie to or avoid your food journal.

These are all great suggestions!

On August 1st I started what I call my "pre-op/post-op" diet. It has been totally regulated by ME. I am not required by my surgeon or insurance to do it. I just believed it would be in my best interest to start making changes now, before I am sleeved. My diet is high Protein, low fat/calories/carbs. Fairly like what you will eat once you start back on regular foods post op. The only major concession I have made is I am not limiting quantity yet, just changed the quality. I will say the side benefits of the change have actually "shrank" my stomach some, I can no longer eat the amounts I used to. And last week I ate some foods I had cut out. I didn't eat a huge amount, but they were higher in fat/calories/carbs than what I have been eating. Let me tell you, it triggered the CARB MONSTER big time! I now know I am better off limiting carbs. I do not crave as much doing without than eating them in moderation. I spent the weekend being hungry and never being satisfied with anything. ( and wanting vast quatities of JUNK) I am back on track this week and already feel better. That is another effect for me, I feel less sluggish and bloated eating this way. I sleep better, I have better energy. But the best result of it?? I have dropped 20lbs since I started!!! My joints are already reaping the benefits of it. Granted I still have a loooong way to go, but I feel I have a solid start. In addition, during my psych eval the doctor said I was much more likely to be successful once I have the sleeve because I have already committed to making the changes now. So I believe you are on the right track..Good luck and much success!!

It sound Great Roo... so you can give me an Idea of what you would eat in a day..Breakfast, lunch, dinner.. do you know how many calories you are taking in a day? When is your surgery? I'm having my band removed Oct 9th.. I will get sleeved in Jan.. hoping the first week.. If you could let me know that would be great. I just picked up "quaker" SOFT BAKED BARS... at bj's.. Calories are 140 5gr of fiber, 6 grams protein... A box of 24. was $9.00 but at the door they had a $2.00 coupon..so i paid 7.00 dollars.. I thought it was a good snack..because of the fiber and protein.. What do you think..??

Personally, I don't believe in going hard core low calorie, or low carb, super low anything before surgery. If I were in your shoes, I would probably do a sensible, balanced diet and aim for between 1500-1700 calories per day. I would make sure to eat a high fiber diet and I would not substitute meals with shakes/smoothies. I would want to go into surgery well-nourished, strong, and with my digestive system functioning at peak performance.

I would use the pre-surgery months to make behavioral changes rather than dietary changes. Things like:

I think that changing the way you approach food from a behavioral standpoint is more helpful than trying to adopt a post-surgery diet before you actually have the surgery. Just MO.

Buffle, all good advice... I thank you so much. I have copied everything on here. so I will remember all of it.. But such GREAT IDEAS.... thanks..

The responses are going to vary widely as different surgeons have different requirements. For insurance purposes, I was told I could stay the same weight or lose weight but not gain weight under any circumstances. Two-weeks prior to surgery was the liquid-only 2-week preop diet which consisted of Bariatric Advantage Protein shakes (that my surgeon required i buy from him) and sugar-free Jello or popcicles and low-sodium broth if I absolutely had to. The 24 hours before surgery i could have Clear Liquids only (isopure RTD).

After surgery i was released immediately to full liquids, then soft foods, then most regular food (after 7 weeks).

What my nut had me work on before surgery

- do not drink with meals or for 30 minutes afterwards. This is harder than you think and the sooner you get into the habit the better.

- chew each bite 20-30 times each. Also harder than it seems.

- learn to eat meals Protein first THEN veg THEN fruit THEN carb (if there's any room left - after surgery you'll be lucky to finish the protein and a bite of the veg)

- if you're not exercising, start walking 10 minutes a day EVERY day and increase it until you are walking 8000 steps a day

- stop drinking soda or anything carbonated completely

- stop smoking if you smoke

Hey Don, as you will see I wrote you a private note.. letting you know I love your post. .. I love the way you layed it out.. easy to understand. Thanks my friend. Good luck to you as well....JewelJ

HI Jewel: ( i edited this a littlle, I dont' think I fully explained what i meant)

It is a great idea to get your self prepared as far as your diet it concerned. IMO

I think it really gets us in a good mind space to prepare and not have to not make drastic changes only after surgery.

When I got serious about surgery, I joined weight watchers (again) It kept me accountable and helped frame my mind for the changes to come, without being in a specific "pre-op" diet plan. I agree with Bufflehead (below) about not going into a drastic calorie restricted plan, but rather change your behaviors in preparation for the pre-op and surgery. I wound up losing almost 60lbs. between June and December.

For your information... Here is a pdf of the diet plan my NUT gave me, pre-op through post.

Hey jERSEYGIRL.. I do have trouble following Weight Wat... But I did think about doing that. It does put you in a good mindset... I will think about this... I'm also from Jersey, which part are you from? JewelJ