Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

About 18mos out - HUNGRY and STALLED

I'm about 18 months post op, and loving my new life of health and smaller clothes for SURE. I got down to 180, from a max weight of 288, so 108lbs lost. That's been great, but now, the scale says 194. Yikes.

I have been working out like crazy, finished a sprint triathlon and a few mud runs. I was getting SO hungry when I was working out, and I went ahead and ate whatever I wanted to, because it didn't seem to matter. That mostly resulted in afternoon carb loading (goldfish crackers, wheat thins, chips) when the kiddos were napping, and late night sweets. Well, I had an injury from training so hard, and couldn't work out for about 2 months. I kept eating the same way, and now I can see the weight that came back. I was almost into a size 8 pants, but now, my 10's are plenty snug.

I started working out again, and that feels great. But, my hunger is out of control. I can't seem to stop eating during the hours of 2-6pm, and 9-11pm. BAD. I need something to suppress this hunger, especially since it keeps getting worse the more I work out. Any suggestions? I crave carbs and am hungry WAY more than I'd like to be.

I'm also going to begin interviewing plastic surgeons for a tummy/breast/arm/thigh workover, and I'd like to be in the best shape with the least amount of excess fat when I do that.

Does anyone have any suggestions? HELP!!!

thanks =)

Can you cold turkey it to cleanse out your system?

When I did Atkins, I always went cold turkey for 3 days to kill the carb monster and it always worked. To do it, I had to Protein load with some fat...but it worked.

How about some PB on celery stalk for a Protein snack or some SF Jello or pudding to kill the sweet tooth at night...or maybe even a cup of Decaf tea with Torani flavoring?

You did a wonderful job...you're such an inspiration... I know you can do it.. it is folks like you that give me hope, much to look forward to...and work for...

Thanks for the great ideas. I often forget about simple Snacks like pb on celery. I just found some great baked edamame recipes on pinterest too.

On a similar note, has anyone tried supplements like green coffee bean extract, or garcinia camogia?

You might also get more helpful suggestions if you post in the vets forum.

Thanks Gamergirl. I wanted to do that, but I don't have enough posts to get access to that forum. Lame rule in my opinion. It shouldn't be about number of posts, but about how far out post-op you are. I only have like 20-something posts, and it says you need 100+. Guess I won't be getting access to that forum for a while =(

Thanks Gamergirl. I wanted to do that' date=' but I don't have enough posts to get access to that forum. Lame rule in my opinion. It shouldn't be about number of posts, but about how far out post-op you are. I only have like 20-something posts, and it says you need 100+. Guess I won't be getting access to that forum for a while =([/quote']

Oh that does suck. Hmmm well I read those forums all the time so let me guess what they would suggest :)

1.Go back go basics. Cut don carbs, hit Protein heavy and get your Water in and do that until the carbs have let up their hairy, nasty hold on you.

2. Track everything you put in your mouth, whether good or bad, to get back to that accountability.

3. Set small goals for exercise and make it something you love. Move ever so slightly more every day.

4. Look up 5:2 or the fast diet and try that by fasting with 500 cals and hitting 1000-1200 cals on feast days.

5. Do the pouch test to help you feel your restriction again (honestly don't see many vets referencing. This, more mid-term folks).

6. Clean out your pantry of all the junk you know you should not be eating--just like you did in the beginning.

7 Quit grazing.

8. Join one of the fitness challenges on this forum to motivate you. Butterthebean has a 100 miles one and many of the people who are participating don't expect to do all 100, but they all seem to be having fun reporting their miles nonetheless.

9. Make sure you aren't drinking with or too close to meals.

10. Figure out your slider foods and stay the heck away from them.

So how did I do?? :)

For me personally, the thing that helped the most was the preop diet where I had to give up carbs. Four days of hell, and then the sweet, sweet relief of having my hunger under control! I've decided that if I get off course, that is probably what will work to re-set me.

Maybe 1-2 of the points above resonate with you and give you somewhere to start?

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response! A lot of those ideas will work. I've been thinking about the 5:2 diet, and doing some sort of "reset" for a while now. My slider foods are really anything light and crunchy in the carb world, which sucks. I need to cut that out. I work out all the time like crazy, so I think my body is craving the carbs to burn, but I'd rather trick it into thinking it's getting carbs, when it's not. I found some carb-free chips and bread recipes I'm going to try.

My big problem is the mental challenge. I want to NOT feel like I'm on a diet and CANT have certain things. I'd rather not be hungry. I know that may sound like an obvious thing, but really, in the first 6-9mos after surgery, I was NEVER hungry. But, the more I worked out, the less that was true.

I wish I just had less of an appetite.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response! A lot of those ideas will work. I've been thinking about the 5:2 diet' date=' and doing some sort of "reset" for a while now. My slider foods are really anything light and crunchy in the carb world, which sucks. I need to cut that out. I work out all the time like crazy, so I think my body is craving the carbs to burn, but I'd rather trick it into thinking it's getting carbs, when it's not. I found some carb-free chips and bread recipes I'm going to try.

My big problem is the mental challenge. I want to NOT feel like I'm on a diet and CANT have certain things. I'd rather not be hungry. I know that may sound like an obvious thing, but really, in the first 6-9mos after surgery, I was NEVER hungry. But, the more I worked out, the less that was true.

I wish I just had less of an appetite.[/quote']

Do you think simple carbs are making your insulin spike and making you hungrier? If you're working out a lot you NEED carbs but low glycemic index ones such as unprocessed foods including sweet potatoes, oats, quinoa, Beans, brown rice etc. rather than processed ones. Personally I'd stay away from carb free chips who have god knows what in them, and eat real food but maybe it will help you kick your cravings short term.

Some of us are just more carb-sensitive and hence insulin resistance and eating processed carbs just makes us want MORE processed carbs. Perhaps the way to not be hungry in the near future is to be hungry for carbs for a short while? feed your body good carbs so you don't get deprived but kick the junk to the curb maybe.

Two points:

1. I have found a solid diet of Protein and veggies eliminates carb cravings. It is the little bit of sugar in energy squares or Protein Bars that sets me off to desire more. For this reason, I have cut way back on Protein Bar consumption and usually only have 2 energy squares when waking and before working out. I am not going to eat a Protein for the hell of it. there needs to be a very good reason. Typically, the sugar amount is small (2-3 g), but enough to spark the desire for more. Low glycemic carbs do not trigger This desire. I do not eat dairy, breads and only the occasional fruit (blueberry). No sweets also. I am very particular about when I eat complex carbs per point 2.

2. The best complex carb i have found that is low on the glycemic index has been cooked steel cut oats. My wife helps me out by making a big batch about once a week. We put about 1/2 cup in each Baggie. I have 1 serving every morning when I get up mixed with about 40 G Protein powder. Yummy! I also have 1 serving about 1.5 hours before daily cross fit mixed with 25 g of Protein Powder. It is perfect for gassing up the tank before working out and also before taking on the work day. Highly recommended.

Two points:

1. I have found a solid diet of Protein and veggies eliminates carb cravings. It is the little bit of sugar in energy squares or Protein Bars that sets me off to desire more. Typically' date=' the sugar amount is small (2-3 g), but enough to spark the desire. Low glycemic carbs do not trigger it. I do not eat dairy, breads and only the occasional fruit (blueberry). No sweets also. I am very particular about when I eat complex carbs per point 2.

2. The best complex carb that is low on the glycemic index has been cooked steel cut oats. My wife helps me out by making a big batch once a week. We put about 1/2 cup in each Baggie. I have 1 serving every morning when I get up mixed with about 40 G Protein powder. Yummy! I also have 1 serving about 1.5 hours before daily cross fit mixed with 25 g of protein powder. It is perfect for gassing up the tank before working out. Highly recommended.[/quote']

Fiddleman, can you please explain what steel cut oats are.. I don't think we get those here in the UK. I'm the same the minute I touch sugar or refined carbs my body starts screaming for them, when I don't eat them, I don't miss them. I always feel tired lately and wondered if it was lack of carbs as I work out strength training 5-6 times a week. All my blood work is fine and I'm on an Iron supplement too. Can eat sweet potato without the sugar spike, but wouldn't mind trying something else as well.

Steel oats are whole grain groats cut into pieces. Minimal processing is performed on them. I buy mine from trader joe here in the states, but I think they are fairly universal from country to country. They originally came from Scotland, a very close skip and a hop from you. I bet you can find them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel-cut_oats

Thanks Fiddleman, I have found and ordered some from trusty old Amazon.< /p>

You are very welcome.

Thanks Fiddleman' date=' I have found and ordered some from trusty old amazon.[/quote']

Fiddle and tip for making these up in a batch is a good one. I eat oats almost e dry day at Breakfast. I mostly eat the quick cook ones because I'm lazy, but when eating the steel cut, I make up a big batch and store in individual servings.

Lynda

I'm about 18 months post op' date=' and loving my new life of health and smaller clothes for SURE. I got down to 180, from a max weight of 288, so 108lbs lost. That's been great, but now, the scale says 194. Yikes.

I have been working out like crazy, finished a sprint triathlon and a few mud runs. I was getting SO hungry when I was working out, and I went ahead and ate whatever I wanted to, because it didn't seem to matter. That mostly resulted in afternoon carb loading (goldfish crackers, wheat thins, chips) when the kiddos were napping, and late night sweets. Well, I had an injury from training so hard, and couldn't work out for about 2 months. I kept eating the same way, and now I can see the weight that came back. I was almost into a size 8 pants, but now, my 10's are plenty snug.

I started working out again, and that feels great. But, my hunger is out of control. I can't seem to stop eating during the hours of 2-6pm, and 9-11pm. BAD. I need something to suppress this hunger, especially since it keeps getting worse the more I work out. Any suggestions? I crave carbs and am hungry WAY more than I'd like to be.

I'm also going to begin interviewing plastic surgeons for a tummy/breast/arm/thigh workover, and I'd like to be in the best shape with the least amount of excess fat when I do that.

Does anyone have any suggestions? HELP!!!

thanks =)[/quote']

I find if I eat a little more fat earlier in the day, I don't get the huge after dinner cravings. It's a fine line because fat is so calorie dense, but maybe try adding 2-3 teaspoons of a healthy oil at lunch and dinner and eating less carbs

Lynda