Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I had my pulmonary clearance appointment yesterday and my lung function was normal, no problems. However, they did say that I had to get a sleep study just based on my BMI even though I have no real sleep problems. I am really dreading it because I hate sleeping away from home and I'm sure having a bunch of monitors attached to me and a video camera pointed at me won't help. Anyone had one? What can I expect?

Also, for anyone who has sleep apnea, do you use a CPAP? Is it hard to get used to? Does it help you have more energy or lose weight?

In my opinion, as bad as you expect the sleep study to be, it's most likely worse. I had a horrible time and honestly didn't even think I would get enough sleep for them to get accurate results, although they did.

I'd have to say my sleep study with the CPAP machine was much worse than the original study, they gave me a full mask and I could NOT get comfortable. I've had my own mask at home since last Friday and it only took 3 nights for me to get used to it.... so the good news is, there is a light at the end of the tunnel:)

Most people have had a sleep study. They have to make sure there are no hidden sleep disorders so the oxygen during surgery doesn't hurt you while you are under. I thought it was awful and it actually hurt my scalp. But I did sleep some. It said I woke over 200 times .... yeah, I know! LOL

I actually had one this past Saturday night. It was fine. It really didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I had no problem in going to sleep. And, it was very helpful. Once they put the mask on me, I went to sleep and didn't wake up for 4 hours until the next morning.

My insurance will only cover it if I have sleep apnea type two diabetes or some heart disease either one, thank god I don't but I think I have sleep apnea , so there gonna send me to test for that. I'm nervous about the whole thing.

So I had my pulmonary clearance appointment yesterday and my lung function was normal' date=' no problems. However, they did say that I had to get a sleep study just based on my BMI even though I have no real sleep problems. I am really dreading it because I hate sleeping away from home and I'm sure having a bunch of monitors attached to me and a video camera pointed at me won't help. Anyone had one? What can I expect?

Also, for anyone who has sleep apnea, do you use a CPAP? Is it hard to get used to? Does it help you have more energy or lose weight?[/quote']

I'd worry about talking, or *tooting* in my sleep. Ha!!! :-D But please do it if you are referred. You will be amazed at the difference in your days when your nights are rest-filled. It helps with mood, energy level, skin health, everything!

I will only be approve for surgery if I have sleep apnea. How many people who had a sleep study ended up with sleep apnea? What were your symptoms? It's taking my insurance over a week just to approve the sleep study no telling how long it will take to get an approval for surgery.

Common sleep apnea symptoms include:

• Waking up with a very sore or dry throat
  • Loud snoring
  • Occasionally waking up with a choking or gasping sensation
  • Sleepiness or lack of energy during the day
  • Sleepiness while driving
  • Morning headaches
  • Restless sleep
  • Forgetfulness, mood changes, and a decreased interest in sex
  • Recurrent awakenings or insomnia

Thanks for all your replies. My appointment is schedule for 9/25. I hope it goes ok.

I have no real symptoms but the doctor said the chances that you have it if your BMI is over 40 are pretty high. She also said a lot of people have sleep apnea and haven't noticed any symptoms. We'll see... If it helps me sleep better and feel better I'll be happy I guess.

I will only be approve for surgery if I have sleep apnea. How many people who had a sleep study ended up with sleep apnea? What were your symptoms? It's taking my insurance over a week just to approve the sleep study no telling how long it will take to get an approval for surgery.

The sand thing is happening to me. Since I don't have anything else wrong with me. I'm scared not having sleep apnea is going to prevent me from surgery. I'm still waiting for them to contact me to set up a appointment to get the sleep apnea test its been a week already. Good luck!!! Let me know how it goes.

I was under 40 BMI and needed sleep apnea to be approved. I didn't think there was a chance I had sleep apnea- I wake up a lot at night and I am always tired, but I feel like I've always been like that, even when I was little. I don't snore either.

Had my sleep study and sure enough I have sleep apnea

It's so sad that I basically had to pray I had something wrong with me in order to qualify. Insurance basically says "oh you are heavy, but not heavy enough. So either gain weight to be even heavier OR we will wait until something bad happens and you develop a life threatening issue before we help you."

You would think they would help those of us who are seeking help BEFORE those things happen to us.

Not sure what insurance you have, but I was told that CIGNA outsources for sleep studies to another insurance company to handle clinical reviews and approvals. So my request gets sent to CIGNA , they send it to someone else, that other company handles their own cases first and then looks at CIGNA cases, and then sends back the answer. It's flipping ridiculous, but I was assured that they don't handle surgery approvals that way. I hope not!!

I am the same way with being away from home and finding it almost impossible to sleep. I took the sleep apnea test with having no signs of sleep apnea and suprise suprise I ended up having sleep apnea. I find the sleep centers to overall be very friendly and welcoming and clean. I think you will be suprised with how comforting they are for being away from home. The wires are annoying, but its really not that big of a deal. Bring your own pillow for comfort and something special like a family picture, Teddy Bear or so on. Once I was diagnosed with sleep apnea the worst part was finding the right mask. I chose the full face mask, WITH the daily disposable clothes for comfort. Sleep fine, and do feel more energized. Hope this helped :-)

I also have Cigna. Maybe that is why it is taking so long to get approval for a sleep study. It's sad that I am praying that I have sleep apnea so I can get approve for surgery, that or gain 12 more pounds.

I also have Cigna. Maybe that is why it is taking so long to get approval for a sleep study. It's sad that I am praying that I have sleep apnea so I can get approve for surgery' date=' that or gain 12 more pounds.

[/quote']

Preaching to the choir. When they told me that I had sleep apnea and I got the biggest smile. Called my insurance coordinator and we started screaming with glee. So sad.

Insurance basically says you better have something wrong with you or gain more weight. You would think they would want to help people before something becomes wrong.