Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best and worst "compliments"

I'm at 55 pounds and not a soul has said a single word!

That sucks! Not even your hubby? Frowny face!

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4; 12 weeks post-op 274; 4 month post-op 266.2; 5 month post-op 262.6; 6 month post-op 253.2

I'm at 55 pounds and not a soul has said a single word!

I get very few comments too, especially at work (where I spend most of the day)! My husband says the women are just jealous and envious and , it would be inappropriate for a male to comment as it could be misconstrued as something more than a compliment. I'm 4'11. My heaviest weight was 206, and I'm currently 140. I went from a pant size 16/18. I'm now a size 6/8. I've lost 66 pounds and for my height, every pound, whether I gain or lose is noticeable.

Hang in there!! Your doing great!! Ill be the first to tell you, YOU LOOK AMAZING!! :-)

The best compliment was from a little girl who I did not know. I was working and she walked right up to me and said "you're so pretty!" Hearing this from a child was so different than hearing it from adults. Children are just so honest whether we like it or not and it totally made my day.

The worst "compliment" was from my mother. I wait tables a couple nights a week for a little extra cash so my mother proceeded to tell me that I should try to work at a nicer restaurant because now that I'm skinny and attractive they will probably hire me. Like they never would have hired me before.

Wow about your Mom! Unfortunately there is a lot of prejudice. I was secretly wanting to wait to do a job search until more weight came off because I know people Pre judge, even subconsciously. But I'll bet waiting tables is a lot easier now that you are carrying less weight. I know it's been much easier for me being on my feet now. Keep up the good work!

No worries! I heard nothing but crickets for my first 60-65.

I figure people have seen me gain and lose so many times already, they probably figure they're wasting their breath ;)

Wow about your Mom! Unfortunately there is a lot of prejudice. I was secretly wanting to wait to do a job search until more weight came off because I know people Pre judge' date=' even subconsciously. But I'll bet waiting tables is a lot easier now that you are carrying less weight. I know it's been much easier for me being on my feet now. Keep up the good work![/quote']

I know! I don't think she meant it in a bad way but I was still shocked she said it! It is true though that unfortunately people judge you as soon as they see you. And yes it is so much easier weighting tables without those 85 lbs! Lol

Thank you : )

I work in an elementary school and last year I stood at the front door every day and saw the students as they came in to school. I also helped load many into cars in the afternoons and I have worked here for almost 10 years. At the start of this school year a couple of the students in 4th grade asked me who I am because they did not recognize me. I did change my hair a little too but nothing that drastic! I guess a 60 lbs. weight loss over the summer threw them off a little!

Sometimes the most hurtful things are not something someone says. My brother, who was somewhat against my surgery, has yet to say a word to me about my success. He never called to check on me while I was in the hospital either.

post-60289-13813669850417_thumb.jpg

You look awesome!

pre-surgery weight 325; surgery date 2/28/2013; surgery weight 307; 8 weeks past-op weight 281.4; 12 weeks post-op 274; 4 month post-op 266.2; 5 month post-op 262.6; 6 month post-op 253.2

Best: "wow where is the rest of you!"

Worst: "you know after losing all that weight your going to have tons of extra skin"

Weirdest/awkward: my friend said to her husband "look how much weight Jess lost!!" he looks me up and down and smiles at me and my friend said "wait, did you just check out my best friend!?" Lol!

I freaking HATE this!!! I have had so many nasty people at work say this to me. Sidebar...I TOTALLY wish I didn't tell people at work about my surgery. When they say that I say, eh, nothing a little plastic surgery cant fix...then I will be in a tiny bikini. The girl at work that has been the rudest about it is about 450lbs. I understand jealously, but jeez! She is down right MEAN.

Best compliment I have gotten so far was from a Soldier I work with. I was having to explain a project to him that he was going to be responsible for because I am going to be out for surgery. He asked why I was going to be gone so long so I gave him an honest answer. His reply was something to the effect of "I am so happy for you. We are totally behind you." What I found out later was that some of the guys in the office have been talking about my weight and what they could do to help me. They have been concerned about my health. I still get choked up thinking about it.

Best compliment I have gotten so far was from a Soldier I work with. I was having to explain a project to him that he was going to be responsible for because I am going to be out for surgery. He asked why I was going to be gone so long so I gave him an honest answer. His reply was something to the effect of "I am so happy for you. We are totally behind you." What I found out later was that some of the guys in the office have been talking about my weight and what they could do to help me. They have been concerned about my health. I still get choked up thinking about it.

Now I'm choked up. What a great guy. Is he single, I'm lookin'.

Now I'm choked up. What a great guy. Is he single' date=' I'm lookin'.[/quote']

Lol...nope, he recently got married. Most of the guys I work with are doing another deployment back in Afghanistan. The guys we have back here are mostly injured and waiting to medically retire. But truly, I work with the best guys in the Army.

That is truly the kindest thing I've read! What an amazing group of people to be surrounded by every day! It says a lot about you that they care, too.

the worst is from one of my customers, an old Korean lady.."oh, you lose weight, you not so fat like before.. before you was SOOOOOOOOOOO FAAAAAAAT" (complete with hand gestures to illustrate exactly how fat I was.

The best was from my Aunt who is extremely weight conscious. I figured she wouldn't even say anything since I'm still 244 pounds which is unthinkable in her book.. But she absolutely gushed about how great I look and she said that if I continued to lose weight that would be great, but even if I never lost another pound I look fantastic.. then I proceeded to get phone calls from my cousins who called me because my aunt had gone straight home and called them and gushed about how "thin" I was and how great I looked.