Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spiced Chicken Kebabs Easy, Stovetop, High Protein

Recipe with pictures posted here: http://sleevers.wordpress.com/2013/09/08/spicy-chicken-kebabs-paleo-wls-friendly-high-protein/

Ingredients

1 lb chicken tenders

2 cloves skinned and crushed

2 in piece of ginger crushed

2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro leaves

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1.5 tbsp Garam Masala

1 tsp ground coriander seeds

1 tsp ground cumin seeds

2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil

1 fresh lemon cut in half

Method

1. Mix the chicken with all ingredients except the ghee and the lemon. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon onto the chicken and let it marinade at least 10 minutes, or preferably up to 2 hours (who am I kidding? I never wait 2 hours)

2. Heat a stainless steel pan on medium heat. Put in your 2 tbsp of ghee or coconut oil and spread it around the pan so there’s a nice coating of it all over the base of the pan.

3. Once it starts to smoke lightly, put in the chicken pieces in a single layer. Leave it alone for 2 minutes so that it gets a good browning at the bottom.

4. Turn over and at this point, add some additional ghee/coconut oil if it looks a bit dry. Brown the other side for another 2-3 minutes.

5. Turn off the heat, cover with a lid, and let it steam for a bit. This is so the chicken cooks completely but isn’t dry.

6. You could take the chicken out of the pan and deglaze it with a bit of half n half or cream and scoop up the brown bits at the bottom and voila! A nice little sauce you can pour over your chicken.

Notice how this isn’t orange and yellow like the restaurant tikkas? That’s because we used all natural ingredients, not fake food color. Feel virtuous and enjoy!

Two thumbs up! I will definitely check out your blog. I love recipes like this :) Thanks!

Ohh! That sounds so very delicious! I'm most definitely making this!

Your spice cabinet must be insanely well stocked what with the variety you add to your recipes. Awesome!

Ohh! That sounds so very delicious! I'm most definitely making this!

Your spice cabinet must be insanely well stocked what with the variety you add to your recipes. Awesome!

Actually to cook Indian food, you only need a few staples. I'll make up a short list and post it for you if you want?

But yes, we have a lot of spices :)

Actually to cook Indian food, you only need a few staples. I'll make up a short list and post it for you if you want?

But yes, we have a lot of spices :)

YES! please share!!

Agreed! Please share. I love Indian food :)

Okay so you need the following:

1. Whole black mustard seeds

2. Whole cumin

3. whole coriander

4. Cinnamon sticks

5. Whole Green Cardamom pods

6. Cayenne pepper

7. Turmeric

8. Bay leaves

9. Whole black pepper

10. Nutmeg

That sounds like a lot I know, but it will set you up for success. They are so much cheaper in an indian grocery store than our typical little jars we buy at the grocery, it's worth a trip. Alternatively, whole foods, sprouts, central market, etc. all sell them loose in containers and you scoop out what you need by weight.

Get yourself a fancy container like this if you want to keep them in one location: http://www.amazon.com/Matbah-Stainless-Steel-Masala-Container/dp/B009CSZA1U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378682426&sr=8-2&keywords=indian+masala+dabba

And get a cheap coffee grinder like this: http://www.amazon.com/KRUPS-203-42-Electric-Grinder-Stainless/dp/B00004SPEU/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378682491&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=coffee+grindr

The differences in flavor come from either a) grinding the seeds, B) dry-roasting the seeds before grinding, or c) roasting in a bit of oil before grinding. Each of these tastes completely different.

If you have this, you should be able to make the garam masala recipe I've posted, as well as the chicken curry. I will post some daal recipes one of these days and they will use the same spices, as would all the veggies I make.

Enjoy!