Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band removed to have sleeve

Hello last month I thought I was getting my lap band out and then getting the sleeve. My doctor stated there was a chance he would not be able to do it. Well when I woke up the lap band was out but no sleeve. I freaked out big time. Well my doctor is now really doing the sleeve 9/13. If they tell you there is a chance have it taken out first to avoid a nightmare.

I'm self pay, if I don't wake up with a sleeve I'm screwed :(

Me too Band07!!! I'm scheduled for 9/25 for band removal and revision to the sleeve. My surgeon removed all my saline on 8/12 and had me do an UGI to check out everything. According to my UGI results he said he didn't see a problem with doing the 2 surgeries at once, but it did depend on how much scar tissue is around my band and he can't tell that until he gets in there. Praying that I don't have a lot of scar tissue!!

Me too Band07!!! I'm scheduled for 9/25 for band removal and revision to the sleeve. My surgeon removed all my saline on 8/12 and had me do an UGI to check out everything. According to my UGI results he said he didn't see a problem with doing the 2 surgeries at once, but it did depend on how much scar tissue is around my band and he can't tell that until he gets in there. Praying that I don't have a lot of scar tissue!!

My doc is planning on removing the band and performing the sleeve in one operation. My band was unfilled on 8/5. I worry about the amount of scar tissue present also. My case has been submitted to the ins. co. early due to band complications. If they deny me, I will finish up the 6 month med supervised diet on 12/2 and then be approved for surgery in December or early in 2014. Hoping for a December surgery since I have met all my deductibles for this year.

Good luck to you with your upcoming surgery.

Just had my lap band removed after getting a leak. Had lost 103 pounds since March 2006 and kept it off for 6 1/2 years. Gained back 60 pounds in 10 months :( Doc suggested the sleeve because I had been successful with a restricted device. I was never told I wouldn't wake up with the sleeve completed. The day of my surgery he did another lap band / sleeve without problems. They also repaired a small hiatal hernia too. I'm 12 days post-op and still a bit soar and recovering slower than the lap band, but the doc reminded me that they did more this time. Hopefully you will wake up with the sleeve done, if not hopefully you get it before your ins. ded expires. Best of luck!

Got my band to sleeve revision on July 16, 2013 (8 weeks ago). The day before it I asked my dr what the chances would be that I would wake up non sleeved He said "nil". He prefers to do them all at once, whether there's damage or not. It took him an extra 30 mins to dig my band outa my stomach but he did it without problem. I would've been bummed because my insurance only covered the revision cuz I had a complication. If they had taken out my band and waited, I probly would've had a problem getting it paid for cuz my bmi was 28.

So, so, so glad I had it done at once. Only 1 recovery (was harder than getting my band almost 4 yrs ago) instead of 2 different procedures.

So sorry you woke up non sleeved. Good luck with ur upcoming procedure...

I am afraid of going to get the sleeve and coming home without it. I have a band and I have been having a lot of pain and burning with it. I hate to get to Mexico and have to come back again. I went to the doctor here and they tell me they can't find anything wrong with the band but I have chest pain and a lot of burning. Has anyone else had this and what did they do for it?

I am afraid of going to get the sleeve and coming home without it. I have a band and I have been having a lot of pain and burning with it. I hate to get to Mexico and have to come back again. I went to the doctor here and they tell me they can't find anything wrong with the band but I have chest pain and a lot of burning. Has anyone else had this and what did they do for it?

Could be GERD...do you take any meds for reflux?

LOL I better wake up with a sleeve...I just had to pay my $15,000.00 to my surgeon, the hospital, and anesthesia today and my pre-op is Friday...Happy Birthday to me! :)

I'm not sure then... I'm sorry you're have to go through that, I know its aggravating. I had GERD really bad that eventually lead to vomiting everything I put in my mouth. All my stuff was normal...the only thing my surgeon thought it could be was that my band had become too tight. I had 6cc's at the time and had it all removed on 8/12 and haven't had a problem since.

My husband had his lapband removed last year and sleeve put in same time, he had a leak & had a lot of trouble..we both had band in 2007..we both lost no weight with band....lots complications, He had his sleeve july 2012 has went from 389 to 205 now...and is doing ok, has bad reflux, now a year later i decide to have my band out & sleeve put in, im going to a different dr & he said he would never do those 2 operations at one time because the stomach needs to heel before putting sleeve in & its safer this way...so im havin my band removed tues sept 17 then sleeve 6 weeks later......

I had my band removed and was sleeved last Monday 9/9 all at the same time. I had been unfilled for quite awhile due to complications. I'm doing great! I feel good, have had no complications, only taking pain meds once a day. Slowly easing back to light daily chores and looking forward to life with the sleeve and not the band. Stay positive!!! Best wishes!!

Me too Band07!!! I'm scheduled for 9/25 for band removal and revision to the sleeve. My surgeon removed all my saline on 8/12 and had me do an UGI to check out everything. According to my UGI results he said he didn't see a problem with doing the 2 surgeries at once' date=' but it did depend on how much scar tissue is around my band and he can't tell that until he gets in there. Praying that I don't have a lot of scar tissue!![/quote']

I had my revision on sept 10th all is well. Very sore more so than just having the Lapland done.