Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Casa Bonita - ole!

Hi there!

I will be in Denver for a few days before my lap band surgery, so we need something to do.

Now, I know there is a ton of things to do in Denver, but....

My husband and I are huge fans of the cartoon South Park. There is an episode where Cartman locks Butters in a fallout shelter so he can take Butters' place when the group goes to Casa Bonita for Kyle's birthday party.

Anyway, it's a really funny episode, and ever since we saw it we always exclaim "Casa Bonita - ole!!!" anytime we are going to a Mexican restaurant. (I know, I know, my husband and I are a little weird)

Well, I can't explain to you the excitement in my husband's eyes when I told him that Casa Bonita is a real place and it's in Denver. Needless to say we HAVE to go there while we are there... pre - op diet or not**!!

Now, I used to live in Orlando and I know how the locals just hate those tourist trappy things, but please...

Is it just a crazy tourist trap??

Is the food any good?

Can you tell me how far it is from Aurora - where my Dr. is?

Do you need reservations?

Will it be busy on a Tuesday or Wednesday for lunch?

Can I take my 14 month old there??

Tooooo Funny, but any information would be much appreciated!!

***btw.... I DO NOT really plan on going off my pre-op diet and potentially blowing my chance at surgery with a pig out at Casa Bonita. I was just being funny. I am sure there is enough Protein there to keep me entertained, and I am confident I will stay away from chips and salsa.

Ay carumba!

Casa Bonita was one of my fave places as a kid.... but as an adult... yikes! We went a couple of months ago for my nephews bday. It's still the same old place, building is cool as hell and they have cliff divers. The food... yuck!!!! It's just plain terrible. EXCEPT for the wonderful little sopapillas they serve by the truck load. (which of course are for sure on your pre-op diet) :heh:

Here's the link:

http://www.casabonitadenver.com/

Sorry if I disappointed you. :rolleyes:

Ay carumba!

Casa Bonita was one of my fave places as a kid.... but as an adult... yikes! . The food... yuck!!!! It's just plain terrible.

So you wouldn't recommend it for a "Dr. K's LapBand reunion party"?? Tee hee..

Thanks for the info! I am sure we'll just go to get pictures or something. We have to make a few of our friends jealous....

So you wouldn't recommend it for a "Dr. K's LapBand reunion party"?? Tee hee..

Thanks for the info! I am sure we'll just go to get pictures or something. We have to make a few of our friends jealous....01-16-2007 09:35 PM

I agree, the food at Casa Bonita stinks but since you and your husband have the inside joke on it you should go! DrewsLou is right the only thing good is the sopapillas so I suggest you go and order the cheapest thing on the menu (you have to order) and stay for the fun. It really is an awesome place to go and check everything out. Also why you are in Denver go to 16th street and take the carriage ride at night. That is awesome as well! Have fun!

I recommend the taco salad since you have to buy SOMETHING to get in. Just don't eat the shell and you'll be fine!

There are so many cool hings to do in Denver! I agree with Angie... go to the 16th street mall downtown. I love it... we go down there a couple of times a month. Great food and there are some good bars to go to and listen to live music (if that's your thing!).

That's hilarious, I assumed it was a fictitious place.

If you don't mind me asking, who is your surgeon in Aurora? I ask because I'm frequently in Aurora/Naperville for business, and have coworkers there who are interested in lap-band but haven't been able to locate anyone nearby. (I"m assuming Aurora IL, but correct me if I'm wrong)

Thanks all for the info on points of interest!

My husband and my 14 month old daughter are coming with me.. yes, call me crazy. Anyway, just wondering what the smoking rule is there in CO? Are the restaurants smokey? Would we have a problem bringing our daughter into one of the larger microbrew pubs? (Wynkoop)

Oh, and any restaurants you could recommend? Gotta eat somewhere besides Casa Bonita! (obviously, I am out of the loop after surgery)

There is no smoking in any bar or restaurant in CO. This was passed last year and has made dining out much more pleasant! I recommend Wynkoop, Rock Bottom Brewery (16th St Mall) and a host of other places like that. All are family friendly as most of Dever area places are. If you go to Rock Bottom they have an AWESOME french onion Soup that I had when I was on liquids after surgery. Just take the cheese and bread out and don't eat the onions and you'll be fine!

If there is specific kind of food you have in mine PM me and I'll see what i can come up with for you!

There is no smoking in any bar or restaurant in CO. This was passed last year and has made dining out much more pleasant! I recommend Wynkoop, Rock Bottom Brewery (16th St Mall) and a host of other places like that. All are family friendly as most of Dever area places are. If you go to Rock Bottom they have an AWESOME french onion Soup that I had when I was on liquids after surgery. Just take the cheese and bread out and don't eat the onions and you'll be fine!

If there is specific kind of food you have in mine PM me and I'll see what i can come up with for you!

Thanks Drewslou! You live in such a beautiful city!

Hubby is headed to Casa Bonita on Friday with my daughter, while I recover. I guess I won't get to partake in the fun. Oh well. I'd much rather get my band.. tee hee.

Well, we did not make it to Casa Bonita. Just didn't have enough time. We do plan on heading there on our next trip though. Thanks for all the information!

We end up at Casa Bonita every few months when we go to Denver. We go as a HUGE family group, then us adults can sit after "dinner" and talk, and the kids are entertained!! We had our own South park moment concerning Casa Bonita a couple of years ago. We went and did our usual dinner, and there were 5 vehicles full of us cars/SUV/van. We got back to my sister in laws---all the way out in Golden---and one of our group was missing. Come to find out we had left a nephew behind!!! Luckily he was 15, old enough to realize it, and called his Grandma's cell phone, and they went back and got him. We give him so much grief about it still....being so bad everyone just left him!!! My youngest DD is STILL afraid of gorillas, because of the "gorilla" they have running around scaring her underneath the table when she was 4----she is 24 now!!

The food is pretty lame--but has been bandster ok for me---it is always a good time. Well if I stay out of the damned cave!! Claustrophobia hits hard---all those little kids breathing MY air!!!

Try to catch it next time, they did a pretty good job of capturing it on South Park, it is worth the trip....and the line!

Kat