Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A psychological blow

I've been reading and reading this forum for months now and have not really felt the need to post, until now.

I'm a 6'1" male who was 324 lbs upon the start of the 2 week Protein Shake diet. After the 2 weeks I am down to 297 lbs, which feels great. So now I had the thought that I had lost that much weight in that much time running through my head. I've done the same yo-yo's that the majority of you have and although I know that I would never be able to keep this much weight off, I've also never lost that much. Period.

I never thought I would have elective surgery on myself for any reason. Then I saw the lap-band commercial and started researching it. It seemed like the perfect solution for me. The planning started and as time went on I couldnt help but question my decision. After the realization that I just need to proceed with this surgery that I've been planning for months, I went to the hospital yesterday (1/15/07) morning. I had mixed feelings because I was so nervous about having surgery, but I got up the nerve to do it. To make a very long story short, after changing into the gown, having all the vitals taken and an IV put in, the anasthesiaologist noticed that I had some congestion in my head from a cold last week and she suggested that it would be wise to wait a few days until I get rid of it. She let my wife and I make the ultimate decision, and we chose to wait.

Mentally I am crushed. To get so close while being so uncertain and then to fail is devastating. I was very nervous, wondering if having the surgery in the first place was the right decision. Then to actually get prepped and have to cancel was unbelievable.

My question is- am I the only one who was sitting on the bed subconsciously noting the building exits before they could put me to sleep (in case I wanted to run, haha) or does everyone go through this?

Now that I have to wait 2 more weeks I fear that I might have second thoughts. I am terrified of having any surgery in general, not just bariatric. Anyone else have similar thoughts? How did you overcome? :help:

You haven't failed. It just got postponed. You can do it and it will be sooooo worth it. Hang in there!!!!!!!

I think you are experienceing a very common feeling :rolleyes: Just remember that statistics show 98% of obese people who loose weight, gain it it back. Only you can decide if this is what you truely want, but I can tell you, I have never made a better decision in my life.

I almost backed out. I was in the hospital gown, no IV in my arm yet, but I was ready to BOLT. I had even told my family "I think I changed my mind."

I screwed my courage to the sticking place and went through with it. I'm so glad that I did. It's slow going, and harder than I thought it would be, but I am happy in spite of my slightly-difficult recovery.

Don't think of this as a failure, only a tiny little setback. I had to wait 2 MONTHS because my Iron levels were too low. Talk about a mental blow. The 2 weeks will pass in no time, and you want to be at optimal health before going through major surgery.

Good luck, and I am glad you joined us!

Nathalie

I remember flying to mexico...alone..and terrified!!!! They walked me into the the OR...tied my arms down...I freaked!!!...If I could have spoken spanish I would have said...GET ME THE HELL OUTTA HERE....

7 months later..I could not be more happier! Dont back out..the regret is worse than the fear.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. :rolleyes:

Neal- did you watch the lap-band procedure video (that your website links to) before your surgery? I am dying to watch it but dont know which direction it will push me...

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. :rolleyes:

Neal- did you watch the lap-band procedure video (that your website links to) before your surgery? I am dying to watch it but dont know which direction it will push me...

I didn't find it until after I had the surgery. I don't think it would have changed my mind though. I think it shows how simple the surgery is. No cutting or re-routing you insides. It shows how the band is placed and sutured in place. The commentary is very good as well. The doctors walk you though the process in a very matter of factly manner. If you squeemish, maybe its not a great idea, but if your not, I think its very informative.

Guess what...hate to tell ya....you are TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY NORMAL!!

I had a LOT of pause for thought about allowing a perfect stranger to cut into an otherwise healthy body. I was overweight, high blood pressure, but told I was a really healthy fat person.

I was by MYSELF in the hospital (thank goodness for your wife!!) and I kept saying "you can back out now...you can back out now..."

I was LAYING ON THE OPERATING ROOM TABLE and I said to myself "I can go home. I don't have to do this."

It's scary. And being scared is normal.

You are going to do GREAT with the band! Your starting weight is not to far off from mine. I lost 100lbs in a year. Freaked me out a little to suddenly lose that much weight so I've been sort of "maintaining" the past six months and mentally doing the work.

Just know that you are supported here!

And maybe, just maybe this little delay happened to help you spend a few moments to get your head around this thing, huh?

I am glad SOMEBODY said they are afraid of surguries!

I went to the sugeon yesterday and point blank asked how many people died during this elective surgery, his response was NOT ONE in my entire office practice. So that assured me that I was not going to die during surgery and I would wake up relieved it was over and excited for my new life. I have; like you been researching and reading for just a small, tiny reason I should not do this and I have not found a reason one. However, my surgeon said he does not care how I get the weight off BUT the weight needs to come off as soon as possible for health reasons and I have tried for 25 years to maintain a healthy weight and have not been able to. Every health issue I have can be resolved with losing 100# pounds. So a 35-45 minute procedure can do this for me, I need to do it. Remembering not one patient has died during surgery. That was my fear "death". And yet I am 100# overweight and slowly killing myself, being this heavy.

Good Luck please let me know details of how you made it. :rolleyes:

We all have had the same feeling prior to surgery. Having any type of surgery done while you have a respiratory problem is extremely dangerous; so be glad the anesthesiologist realized you were sick. The two weeks will give you the chance to lose some more weight and you'll have that much less to lose after banding. I wish you the best!

Roberta

Honestly, my planning/arranging/scheduling was very fast, and I kind of didn't let myself feel those feelings. All I felt was excited to have an answer to my weight problem. The night before my surgery I start bawling, I couldn't help it, and I couldn't stop. I think my body just said "you've packed this away long enough and now you are going to feel ALL of it". I think I cried for an hour.

I'm 2 1/2 years out, 75 lbs down, and I don't regret getting this done, even for a second.

I was nervous as hell that a.m. I was glad to have it all over with afterwards though. You can do this. You will not regret it at all. Best of luck.

Hey there want the band. I was banded 12/7. and let me tell you that 2 years ago I was denied by my insurance for gastric bypass, and now I am a bandster. I am a true believer that everything happens for a reason. It is very dangerous when you have a mild sinus issue to have surgery, because it can cause staffolous coccus bacteria to lodge in any part of an open area. Regardless if the surgery is done laparascopically. I know this because my g-ma developed this issue after surgery and we found out after the Dr.`s said it was everything but staff infection. At home intravenous infusions were necessary and we were unsure about her prognosis. You made the right decision, and you need to continue to make the right decisions. Think about spending the rest of your life as uncomfortable as you are. Think about not having that light at the end of your tunnel. It might be a bleak reminder, but hopefully a powerful one. Its about you. Its time. Good Luck. Persevere