Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How to measure when eating out?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to eyeball food amounts when eating out?

I have a Breakfast meeting coming up, and I'm wondering how to figure out how to make sure I don't overeat.

I can only eat 1/4 cup max at a time, but it's not as if I can bring my measuring cups to the meeting to make sure I don't go over the amount.

At home- I measured out scrambled eggs and then put them in a tiny bowl, but that's not going to be happening at the restaurant.

I'm trying to avoid the foaming/queasy feeling that happens when overeating. Socially- I'd be a bit mortified if I had to food makes its way back up.

Can you just order one egg?

Or if anything, under eat.

i've eaten there in the past, and all their egg dishes are huge. I think they use at least 3-4 eggs. But I suppose I could ask them to make my dish with only 1 egg.

Undereating is a good idea, but of course that can bring up questions from my colleagues and waiters like "was there anything wrong with the food? " and "are you feeling ok?" I think i just need to come up with a few clever answers that will shut down their questioning without making me seem ill.

I like the suggestion of just ordering one egg and just eat slowly ...restaurants do a la carte orders all they time. The other thing you could try is to make scrambled eggs at home and measure it, put it on a plate and see what 1/4 cup actually looks like on a plate...then tomorrow, when you get your plate arrange the portion to look like what you saw at home and eat from that.

Also, here is a site that gives you some objects to compare to to eyeball portion size.

http://web.mit.edu/athletics/sportsmedicine/wcrservings.html

i've eaten there in the past' date=' and all their egg dishes are huge. I think they use at least 3-4 eggs. But I suppose I could ask them to make my dish with only 1 egg.

Undereating is a good idea, but of course that can bring up questions from my colleagues and waiters like "was there anything wrong with the food?" and "are you feeling ok?" I think i just need to come up with a few clever answers that will shut down their questioning without making me seem ill.[/quote']

If asked by waitstaff or colleagues just smile and answer, "it was great, I'm just not very hungry"

Thanks for the link Jen- this is a great resource! I'm also going to give the plate idea a try. It's my first time eating out post surgery so I'm feeling oddly nervous.

Yogurt is a good suggestion too! I have to wrap my head around ordering food like a skinny girl.

Or maybe just eat slowely till you're satisfied/full and let your sleeve do that talking for you. No one will notice and you can go about your life.

I have used a few white lies before (don't condone it - but sometimes it's easier)

Oh I don't like to eat a big Breakfast ....

I ate a quick snack before I left, not that hungry...

Preparing for a big meal tonight and want to save some calories....

Just a thought if you need to get out of a tricky situation.

You could make scrambled eggs at home, measure out 1/4 cup then use a teaspoon and actually count how many mouthfuls are there. Then only eat that many mouthfuls at the restaurant. Tell the waiter and co-workers you just had a coffee in the car and are still feeling full.

Second option is to only order a juice and tell your co-workers you are not a breakfast person (lots of people I know aren't breakfast people and I don't think people would be suspicious).

Thirdly you could slip some Of the food into your napkin and throw it away, then it would look like you ate more. This one is a bit extreme and I haven't done this myself. It's a bit risky because people would think you are extremely strange if you get caught.

Learn to eat like a thin person. Take a bite, put your fork/spoon down, have a conversation. Pick up your fork/spoon, take a bite, put down said fork/spoon, have a conversation. You get the idea. My point is, don't focus on the food. Focus on the people you are with. Pretty soon, you will be full, or bored with the food and you will know you have had enough.

And, give yourself 30 minutes on either side before you drink. Tough to do in a social situation, but you can do it.

I found it is easier with fried eggs. I can eat 2. And one piece of bacon. Scrambled I have found hard to keep down. Also if you get it fried it is easier to see how much you eat.