Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August Sleevers...how are you doing? Any friends near Monterey?

Well, I did it. I am relieved it's over and I can get on with the new me.... The doctor/surgeon was amazing! The regular hospital medical staff was less to be desired. but ka sa ra sa ra.... My shoulder hurts from gas coming up I am told, ouch. My arm and hand hurt from where the IV's were put in, yes twice, and neither time was good. My side hurts like the dickens where the tubing was put in, but as for the rest. (But there wasn't any real pain taking it out, just a small pinch at the end) My stomach has no pain. I am sore, and still can't bend, but I am walking a lot, short amounts but often. I am dying to eat, anything that is not in sloppy cream of wheat form and can't wait to get back to my fresh fruit and veggies. So far I have tried Designer whey, and hate it- I don't like vanilla I guess. I am not a fan of Unjury either. I do ok with Muscle milk light. I am lactose intolerant and have to be careful with that. But I do like, no love the chicken broth, called "Chicken Bouillon Herbox Instand Broth and Seasoning" comes in small packets, it is gluten free and no msg. Looked on line and can buy in a box at Walmart. These are packets that the hospital gave me, and the only thing I had at every meal. So check them out if you need something different. I have lowered my pain meds by only 1/3 of was was recommended and feel I can be done with it all in another day or two. Which makes me happy. Hate taking that stuff, unless really needed. Anyone else frustrated with the waiting part? Anyone else feeing so good after such a short time? I was Sleeved on the 19th (Monday) and sent home 21st (Wednesday) this week. Anyone find something other than shakes to eat. Right now I am living on Ensure chocolate pudding and this Chicken broth it seems like. Of course Water and hot tea. Any suggestions? Any one else in the same boat? Write me- love to hear how your doing too! Blessings for quick recoveries for all of us who have braved this major step in our lives!

Hi! I was sleeved August 15 and am feeling great! I promise, 4-5 days makes SUCH a difference! I feel like myself again, and was even able to go on a trail hike this morning. As far as Protein, I am obsessed with Isopure's chocolate flavor. It doesn't leave a nasty aftertaste and is smooth to get down.

Waiting to feel better was definitely the hardest part for me. Despite my size I still managed to be somewhat active so being completely sidelined really threw me for a loop. But everyday I felt a little bit better!

You sound like you're doing great though! Keep up the good work!

Hi there! I was sleeved on Aug. 22, home on Aug. 23. I am doing about like you. I am hungry for "real" food. I am getting my Protein and liquids in. I'm really sore (in fact, on Day 3, this is probably my most sore day). I am very mobile. I just showered, put on makeup and am getting ready for a birthday party. I'm sure I'll be exhausted afterwards. Yesterday, I slept all day. Literally ever four hours would get up and drink and then go right back to bed. I am not shorting myself on the pain meds. I figure they were prescribed and I'm going to take them. In terms of what else to eat, I just had some Greek yogurt and it was AMAZING. It was a little too sweet for me (which is hilarious because I love sweet stuff). I'm going to try the unflavored next.

So far, no BM. I'm trying not to worry yet. I do belch quite a bit.

thanks for the post - nice to have some comparisons!

Best,

Angela

I was sleeved on the 14; home on the 15. I feel like I'm doing excellent. In fact, I am a teacher and was sleeved on a wed and back to work on Monday. I've had no gas, no irritation, no issues whatsoever except finding some shake I can manage to survive on until two more weeks pass. I can drink Water like no other. I haven't weighed yet; waiting until I go to the dr on the 3, but I can tell a huge difference all over my body. My face, my stomach, my thighs, my feet! My shoes are too big now; I literally walked out of them the other day. My little incisions are healing up nicely but starting to itch so I just rub them. Usually helps. Really, no issues except for the Protein. I went to GNC yesterday and bought a couple if things that I'll try today. My family doc is going to bring me some kind of shake that she drinks and see if I can handle that. It seems like I can smell the Protein Powder in everything!!!!! Makes me gag and I can't even get it down. I like the Greek yogurt but can't eat a whole thing at once. I never feel hungry---have to remind myself to eat. It doesn't bother me to watch others eat, no matter what it is. So, overall I'm very pleased. At 12 days out. I feel like if I can just make it two more weeks then I'll be able to eat my protein and life will be good. I guess then it will be filling up on protein first just to make sure I get enough in, but I can live with that. Good luck to all of you!!!! I wish you the very best!!!!!

I was sleeved on 8/6/13. I am finally off all liquids and on the pureed/ mushy stuff. I did try to eat a scrambled egg this morning with ketchup. Sigh... not a good Idea for me today, it took 3 hours for the feeling of egg stuck in my chest to go away. I wasn't able to drink Water either. Finally about 30 min ago the feeling went away. Guess I'm not ready for that yet. I will stick to yogurt and cottage cheese and protien shakes.< /p>

Hi everyone. This is my first post. I was sleeved on August 21, 2013. I'm still on the stage one clear liquid diet, but I am really anticipating the stage two full liquid diet. I've been following my Fluid and Protein intake and although I don't feel hungry or have cravings, I seem to be feeling a little weak. Can't wait until I can wrap my lips around a smoothie or some yogurt. LOL

I was sleeved on the 19 no pain at all for me and really getting tired of the clear liquids.. It just feels like I need more:( liquids are going down fine but I think honestly I am just getting bored of broth and crystal light...

I was sleeved on August 1st at Kaiser West Los Angeles by Doctor Um and the wonderful staff there. I weighed 257 in June when I was in their pre-op program...the day of surgery I weighed 243... and today I weigh 222.5....A loss of about 35 pounds...

It took me about 7 days to feel close to normal, but I have to say that those 7 days sucked because I was aclimating to the new stomach and could not drink as fast as I used to. The obsession to constantly eat or constatnly think about what I am going to eat is SOOO much better today than it was those first two weeks...

Feel free to add me as a friend if anyone wants to :)

8824663.png

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Welcome semi-neighbor - I'm a part-time peninsula resident (will be fulltime once my wife can finally retire.) I'm a little earlier than August, having been sleeved in May 2011, but overall had a smooth journey. I was also sleeved on a Monday and booted out of the hospital on Wednesday (it should have been Tuesday but the hospital dragged their feet in getting the leak test and results done.) By Friday or so I was outpacing my wife on our neighborhood, park and beach walks. The second week was when Constipation hit and clipped my wings a bit, but by Thursday of that second week I was up enough to drive back up to SF for the 10 day follow up. Protein was doing well enough by then that they were adding veg to my diet.

If you are living on pudding at the moment, try making a Protein loaded version of the SF mixes - either add in a couple scoops of protein powder along with the milk (lactaid milk or soy/almond milk as appropriate for your lactose intolerance,) This mixture had a bit too much of that protein powder taste to it, so I cut back to one scoop of powder, one cup of milk and one cup of plain greek yogurt and that made if much better to my taste (YMMV) with a bit of the yogurt tartness taking the place of the protein powder taste.

With your lactose intolerance, be sure to look for 100% whey isolate protein drinks/powders as they have all of the lactose filtered out in the process. I'm currently using (when I do, which isn't often these days,) is Performance Whey 100% Isolate from costco - it's vanilla flavor and works OK for me, though I usually flavor it up with some chocolate flavoring or use it in the puddings.

Good luck on your journey and may it continue to go smoothly,

I am getting sleeved by Dr. Um on 9/16. I was glad to finally read about someone who was sleeved by him.

I was sleeved on August 1st. I'm doing great. I haven't been hungry once since surgery. I've reached my goal of 70 grams of Protein and 64 oz. of fluids everyday. I get full pretty easily, and sometimes have to divide my 4 oz meal into 2 meals. I'm having 6 mini meals instead of 3. No regrets... it was the best thing I've ever done for myself.

I was sleeved yesterday around 2pm. I feel pretty good considering. My morphine PCA pump is my friend. I'm dehydrated and my urine is still dark but they are pumping me full of fluids. I like to walk but don't get far, Lots of burping when I'm up. More back pain than anything, not really sure what is up with that. Looking forward to starting fluids when I'm signed off later today.

Aug 21 sleeved down 20 lbs as of today.. 1 week 20lbs lol. Drinking Powerade zero, pure Protein already made from costco, panera bread Tomato Soup yum yum. And never hungry weird. Feel good. I dont count anything. Also have yogurt. Probably not drinking enough and protein but feel good. I havent been 276lbs in 10 years lol

I was sleeved on 19th Aug. I am full of regret today. Feel like I have made the wrong decision, I have no physical pain and I can get full liquids in no problem. I don't know what's up with me. I researched this for a long time having had a gastric band slip and then regain some weight I was a lower bmi. Now I am worried that life will never be "normal". I am glad the hunger had gone and that I can't have crazy portions. I think I am just having a crazy freak out.

I was sleeved on 19th Aug. I am full of regret today. Feel like I have made the wrong decision' date=' I have no physical pain and I can get full liquids in no problem. I don't know what's up with me. I researched this for a long time having had a gastric band slip and then regain some weight I was a lower bmi. Now I am worried that life will never be "normal". I am glad the hunger had gone and that I can't have crazy portions. I think I am just having a crazy freak out.[/quote']

I feel the same when I look at food right now. Why did I do this what was I thinking. It's the emotional part to all of it, plays a huge role. A lot if people talk about the food and how much they lose but people are quiet about the emotional part. Lots of people feel the way you do I feel that way and I was sleeved on the same day... We are normal we did this to be healthy and we can make it through. Sometimes reading these forums make it really hard. Message me if you want to talk also I am apart of a small support group that has all been sleeved in August if you want to join just let me know. Oh and I have no problems just like you swallowing or taking in liquids.